Thread: Bass Drum Beaters

User Info Menu

Question Bass Drum Beaters

This might sound like a stupid question, but really, i'm confused. Which is better, a bass drum beater that goes all the way around or one that has two sides? And what's the difference between them?

User Info Menu

theres not really a difference ...the ones that go all the way around tend to have only one option while beaters with two or more sides have more contact surfaces like flat or curved beater heads so just depends on how you want to play your bass.
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

I feel like if you have a double sided beater your options as to how you want to play is more- for example i have a soft side and a plastic side- i get a different sound out of them and change them for hw i want to play

if i want to feather the pedal or want a full sound ill us the soft side
    if i want a crisper sharper sound ill use my plast (harder) side

User Info Menu

lucid you would happen to know how drummers like chris addller get that wooden clicking noise as a bass drum tone or is it just the speed they play at?

User Info Menu

i`ve got double sided ones but i never really turn them round from the felt side ....and to be honest i can`t really hear any differnce .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chiko
    lucid you would happen to know how drummers like chris addller get that wooden clicking noise as a bass drum tone or is it just the speed they play at?
    wooden clicking noise? sounds like a wood block to me...ill look him up online tonight and try to hear what your talking about but it sounds to me like a woodblock (using a pedal (usually with a lastic side) that hits against a drum peice (like a woodblock))

or possibly you may be talking about feathering the drum pedal...not sure

like i said tho ill look into it and ill im u or something..

Got AIM?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chiko
    I used to get that from a Danmar red ball wooden beater. I would use it with an impact pad that had very little cloth on it. It would make a clicking sound. But it ended up being too much click.

User Info Menu

I have seen a few clamp/stands that you can attach a pedal and a block/cowbell/whatever to. They usually run about $25. 3 pedals is enough for me. 1 more and I'd be lost...

As for beaters, Pearl makes a quad beat that has 4 sides. 2 felt sides and 2 hard sides that give you 4 different sounds. I got them with my new pedal set and they are great!
    Last edited by 1DrumBum; 10-13-2006 at 01:27 AM.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

lucid..my AIM is Leviadragon1 i dont really get on that much tho maybe once a day... it'd be better to just PM me

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1DrumBum
    I have seen a few clamp/stands that you can attach a pedal and a block/cowbell/whatever to. They usually run about $25. 3 pedals is enough for me. 1 more and I'd be lost...

As for beaters, Pearl makes a quad beat that has 4 sides. 2 felt sides and 2 hard sides that give you 4 different sounds. I got them with my new pedal set and they are great!
    #1 the trick is to keep a primary pedal in the middle (in my case prolly the high hat depending on what genre of music im playing) then its easier to follow through with everything else...dont change the placement all the time..just learn how to do it..it becomes second nature

#2...sounds great...im gunna get some for my pedals

User Info Menu

i have one soft felt side and a hard plastic side on my beater and the plastic side just sounds a little harsher
    "Bow Down To The Almighty Bunghole!"

User Info Menu

yea..
    i usually use the soft side..but there are times when i feel i need a crisper sound