Thread: New Istanbul Cymbal

User Info Menu

Default New Istanbul Cymbal

Well while out and about today I stopped in at the "House of Guitars" and checked out some cymbals. I almost bought a Zildian K Dark Crash, but then I tried and Istanbul Agop Dark Crash that was greatly discounted and got that one instead. They had very similar sound quality and volume, and the Istanbul was a better price.

Anyone else have any Istanbul cymbals, How have they held up for you?
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Default Re: New Istanbul Cymbal

i ALMOST bought two istanbul cymbals a few months ago.it was a 10" hybrid splash, and the istanbul version of a zil-bel. both were used.after careful scrutiny, i found multiple cracks on the splash.pity too, cause it was an awesome looking cymbal,but the sound was much to be longed for,obviously from the cracks.after that, i didn't want the bell.if there wasn't any cracks, i would have bought both! so my advice would be to not tighten the cymbal stand nut too much...thats what i think cracks most cymbals.if the cymbal is too tight, the cymbal CAN crack from regular, non heavy use.it needs to be loose enough to move.btw, is your istanbul crash new or used?
    if you can't keep time... then your just making noise!

User Info Menu

The Cymbal was new, but it had been handled alot in the store, as a demo.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Nice aquisition CD!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

good deal man,enjoy it
    if you can't keep time... then your just making noise!

User Info Menu

sweet ive never had the opportunity to play one

User Info Menu

Anyone else have any Istanbul cymbals, How have they held up for you?

I bought my Istanbul AGOP Mel lewis 21" Big Band ride about three years ago and it looks and sounds just as it did the day it arrived. It has a dak quality like the old K's and, with two rivents, it has that slightly trashy swish to it that is perfect for big band playing. A year later, I bought the Istanbul AGOP Mel Lewis 14" hi-hats. Again, they have the old K characteristic sound to them and the 'Chick' is nice too. Drum fusion makes a good point. never over tighten the cymbal nuts...the cymbals need a little room to vibrate freely...this is especially true for hats, crashes and splashes.

User Info Menu

I also have a 16" K Dark crash medium thin...it isn't to bad but, I think I'd like to have one that is a bit "faster".

User Info Menu

HOLA como estas CHURDH_DRUMMER CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMER(CAT) THATS FANTASTIC * I Know THAT I love the ISTANBOL X-JAZZ & the X-CAST **I am soon going to GET Mine*GRACIAS

User Info Menu

Thanks for the input, yea I always keep my crashes pretty loose so they can swing freely. After playing it a lot yesterday the sound has grown on me even more. It blends really well with my other cymbals.

User Info Menu

Good choice mate!
    But I also have a Istanbul crash, but from the Alchemy series. It's an Istanbul Alchemy 15" Sweet Medium Crash, and I must say it's pure awesome! Good sustain and response with a quick decay.

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Dope999! It's nice to have a Denmark drummer in the house! I'll look forward to hearing about drumming in your country.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dope999 View Post
    Good choice mate!
    But I also have a Istanbul crash, but from the Alchemy series. It's an Istanbul Alchemy 15" Sweet Medium Crash, and I must say it's pure awesome! Good sustain and response with a quick decay.
    ive wanted to test out some alchemys for a long time
    but there arent any stores around here that have them so im kinda sol
    =[
    "I mean honestly... I don't understand how "boom-click-boom-click-boom-click"evades a drummer...." ~ Kryshah

Gretsch Catalina Club Mod
    Sabian cymbals:
    18 in. AAXplosion crash
    21 in. AA raw bell ride
    16 in. Vault crash
    14 in. AAX stage hats
    Paiste:10 in. metal splash
    Zildjian:zil-bel
    DW 7000 double pedals
    PDP hardware
    EMAD!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dope999 View Post
    Good choice mate!
    I have some Istanbul Agop cymbals and an Alchemy Professional series Bell. My hats are Mel Lewis 14's - great sound.

Just for something different I put the 10" Bell (Top) and a Traditional 10" Splash (bottom) on my hi-hat. It's an incredible sound - great sounding while doing rudiments around the kit. I like Latin rhythms and I'm having a lot of fun with it.

I looked at quite a few cymbals while "cymbal shopping" (like everyone I guess) before I settled on these.

I'm very happy with all my Istanbul cymbals.

Kona
    Last edited by kona; 05-05-2008 at 12:19 PM. Reason: deleted something
    Gary