Thread: Local music shop closing doors forever today!

User Info Menu

Default Local music shop closing doors forever today!

Today was Samuel Music's last day open in my home town of Bloomington, IL. Sad to see them go, but they had some great blow out prices to get rid of inventory. I have been playing my original B8 Sabian hi-hats for almost 20 years...granted I took like a 12 year break in that time to do the family thing, so new hi-hats weren't on priority list. By the way ...all of my crashes are Zildjian...pre "A" not brilliant...maybe vintage???don't know???. So, today, my bass player and I walk into the music shop....unaware of the sale going on...and I find a set of Zildjian "A" mastersound hi-hats.....for $190.00...also in the bin was a set of "Z" custom hi-hats for $224.00... So I put them both on stands for side by sides. Did I mention how much I always hated the way MY hi-hats sounded? Both sets listed for $480.00....but I actually preffered the sound of the "A"s plus they match the look of my current Zildjian's. So now they are a part of my kit. And...I love 'em....what a difference...I actually LIKE my hi-hats now. I've only had 'em for a half a day, but playin the little bit I did was so different...I've never lifted my hats so much...now it sounds good...they're louder, they're crisper, they're cleaner sounding. I know a lot of you would have gone for the "Z" customs, but they seemed to have a certain resonance in them that drove me crazy with th B8's. So, I went with what matched my crashes.

Band practice is tomorrow and I told my bass player not to tell anyone of the new purchase...I'm curious if they will notice...not just the sound of the hats...but my new confidence in my new toy.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Local music shop closing doors forever today!

Congrats, stereodave! That is a great deal! Isn't it amazing how a new element in our set up can really light a fire for us! Good luck on your practice and let us know what your bandmates reactions were!
    Mapex Pro M Classic Plus
    Zildjian Armand Cymbals
    In the service of The King!

User Info Menu

Great avatar...we actually play 3 kiss tunes...Strutter, Detroit Rock City, Cold Gin, and Deuce...hahaha!

User Info Menu

sweet man i bet they will treat you well

User Info Menu

Congrats on the find Stereodave! I have also found a couple sweet deals on cymbals lately, so I can relate!

BTW, since I haven't seen you before, welcome to Drum Chat!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Actually, Pastor Bob, we have met, I'm the single dad taking care of 3 little girls. I don't expect you remembered me by name. But, I'm sure that rings a bell (or a hi-hat...or a ride...or something)

User Info Menu

Hello SD...
    Nice to meet you...
    Wow...A Custom Mastersound for 190 bucks...
    That sure a good deal...
    Nice job mate....
    Hope you can post the pic soon....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stereodave70 View Post
    Great avatar...we actually play 3 kiss tunes...Strutter, Detroit Rock City, Cold Gin, and Deuce...hahaha!
    Ha! Thanks stereodave! Those are very good live songs!
    Mapex Pro M Classic Plus
    Zildjian Armand Cymbals

User Info Menu

Actually, totti...they are not Customs...only "A"s. I didn't want the brilliant finish of the Customs because all my crashes are vintage Zildjians, so they match perfectly in appearance.

bigdumbmoose....no one seemed to get my joke about the drummer who can't count to 4. or everyone was being nice about my stoopidity...but it really was meant as a joke...I said we play 3 Kiss song's and listed 4 songs...get it...hahaha.

As for Sunday's practice...What an amazing differrence!!! The bass player was with me when I got 'em, so he new to expect a differrence. But not to that level....1st song...his face lit up in amazement and was actually laughing/smiling....By the end of the third song the guitarist...1 of the guitarists...basically the "band leader", was looking around puzzled...actually asked "What the phuck?....somethin's differrent!"....and I told him "Thank you for noticing"...and I knew it was money well spent. The new hats actually made the entire band sound better as a whole. Absolutely the best money I have ever spent on my kit. If anyone has ever put off upgrading their hi-hats like I did...because they would rather "add" to their kit rather that upgrade...don't...because I never realized how much band's overall sound is portrayed in something as simple as a set of hi-hats...and now...in my opinion...probably the MOST important part of the drum set.

coke can...you're absolutely right...they already are!!...I love 'em

User Info Menu

Actually, Pastor Bob, we have met, I'm the single dad taking care of 3 little girls. I don't expect you remembered me by name. But, I'm sure that rings a bell (or a hi-hat...or a ride...or something)
    I does indeed SD. My apologies for not remembering. I guess this last birthday is having more impact than I thought! Good to see you again!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Hey stereodave, isn't that actually 4 kiss tunes or are you counting Cold Gin as an Ace Frehley tune?!? Dang! Nevermind, I just saw your post about the drummer who can't count to four joke! Haha! It was a good one, I am just slow in the noggin today! I am going to sleep now!
    Last edited by bigdumbmoose51; 04-29-2008 at 12:21 AM.
    Mapex Pro M Classic Plus
    Zildjian Armand Cymbals

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Local music shop closing doors forever today!

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I does indeed SD. My apologies for not remembering. I guess this last birthday is having more impact than I thought! Good to see you again!
    PB, remember what I told ya...there are two things that happen as the birthdays pile up... 1) You start to have trouble remembering things and 2) ... now what the heck was that other one!?

stereodave, I recognized your name...good to have ya back home with us, man!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Wow a great deal. It is sad when some small, independant shops close (i dont know whether thats the case here.) In the area i live there are alot of old bookshops closing down not to mention CD shops. Still a very good deal and i bet they sound fantastic :D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    PB, remember what I told ya...there are two things that happen as the birthdays pile up... 1) You start to have trouble remembering things and 2) ... now what the heck was that other one!?

stereodave, I recognized your name...good to have ya back home with us, man!
    Oh fine BB, just shoot me down and then make me look bad!!! (or did I already do that to myself!)

User Info Menu

Nice purchase, Stereodave.

And what an invaluable lesson you got. I was smiling bigger the more I read cause I knew exactly where you were going with that story.

Very well said!!

Now you have a beater set of hats if you start working towards a practice kit. Or a good bargaining tool for your next upgrade.

I have to chuckle cuz I think for you the fun is just beginning. Happy drumming!!!
    Signature here