Thread: XP8 Rogers 1984 Jazz Sizes

ThePloughman Guest

Default XP8 Rogers 1984 Jazz Sizes

Here are pics of the Rogers XP8 set I recently acquired on ebay. 400 BIN +60 shipping, and it cost him a lot more than that to ship.

ThePloughman Guest

Default Re: XP8 Rogers 1984 Jazz Sizes

16x18 Factory Bass Drum
    8x12
    9x13
    14x14 Factory Floor Tom with legs.

Rare sizes. Rare Configuration. Excellent Condition. Tremendous Buy.

User Info Menu

That is a beautiful kit Ploughman! I bet they sound as good as they look! That snare is especially beautiful!
    Mapex Pro M Classic Plus
    Zildjian Armand Cymbals
    In the service of The King!

ThePloughman Guest

The Snare is a 1983, Rogers Dynasonic, 6.5x14 XP10, Ten Ply all maple, with original Rogers design Lug Locks, original Rogers Dynasonic snare frame and wires. Outfitted here with an Evans J1 Etched on top, Ambassador Clear Snare Side. If you play brushes, this is the head to have.

User Info Menu

again with a stunning set. congrats plougman

User Info Menu

Roger That!!

User Info Menu

Wow, Do I remember the "memory lock" hardware system. They were so far ahead at the time...

I hate to tell you what I traded in about 10 years ago. I complete double bass 4 mounted toms "BIG R" Rogers set. Had the dynasonic snare and all memory lock hardware. Black and chrome, much like the picture above accept I had 2 24" bass drums. Monsters, I tell ya.

I even have some recordings of them if you'd like to hear them, ploughman.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Nice lookin set Ploughman , did you get the cymbals with it too?

User Info Menu

great score Ploughman!

User Info Menu

Is the memory lock that Bish said something about the hardware going inside the bass drum? That's something I've never seen before, nice score bro.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post
    Is the memory lock that Bish said something about the hardware going inside the bass drum? That's something I've never seen before, nice score bro.

All the adjustable stands had that as well as the tom arms and hat stand.

Plus the tubing was huge which made the stands (even the bass drum spurs) super duty. And the tom mount on the bass drum was tube supported all the way across (through the middle of the bass drum) and connected to the opposite end of the bass drum.

The advertising for this stoutness was a picture of a gymnist performing a handstand on the installed tom mounts arms while in the bass drum. This was to prove that you won't ever cave in the bass drum due to too much mounted to the tom mount.

The Memory Lock system and heavy tubing sold me on the kit back in the mid 70's and I believe it was the first year for the Big R badging. I loved that kit. Had it for 20+ years. Still have the throne without any pitting or damage to the chrome base. I can't say the vinyl seat cover has held up as well.
    Signature here

ThePloughman Guest

That bass drum support tube made it possible to hang an entire field of toms on a single bass drum.... Rogers marketed a Studio X set back in the late 70s...... 8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15........... all on the bass drum. I doubt very much is anyone played it that way. It looked awkward to me. The bass drum support tube does however keep your toms from flexing the shell mount, eliminates shell fatigue at the mount, and prevents the drum from going out of round. As for resonance........ yes, there is some loss, but..... to the human ear, it is really negligible.

This set is in great shape, it sounds fantastic. The bass needs a new batter head. I went to three stores over the weekend including GC......... not a single 18" BD head in the store. I will probably special order an Evans EQ1 for this.