Thread: can't get the sound right

User Info Menu

Default can't get the sound right

i have gotten all new heads and have been learning to tune my set, but i still can't get the whole set to sound great all the time. Any advice on some standard things i may be missing would be helpful as i am pretty ignorant when it comes to the sound of the drums.

Thanks

CDO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ofe1818
    i have gotten all new heads and have been learning to tune my set, but i still can't get the whole set to sound great all the time. Any advice on some standard things i may be missing would be helpful as i am pretty ignorant when it comes to the sound of the drums.

Thanks

CDO

Well..the great thing about a real set and one of those computer based ones (I forgot what they are called for some reason) is the varients of sound you can get. the key to a good sounding set is age. you have new skins- possibly and new set...give it time and break it in. It makes it sound more natural

as for tuning- make sure u hit each nut on both sides of the skins- they all have to sound the same (the whole bottom skin may be different from the top depending on how u want it to sound) but it should be nice and even..other then that- just keep workin with it

check and make sure its not toooo tight- i cant stress that enough- people think if they have lumps in their skins (especially bass) that they are hitting too hard--its not u hitting to hard..ur skins are too tight after u tune it push it down a few times to make sure u have a little slack
    think of ur set as a person- older usually is better (unless too old) and not too tight and not too loose
    Last edited by LucidDrummer212; 10-11-2006 at 01:45 PM.

User Info Menu

You have to keep retuning your heads every once in a while. If you don't know how to tune, you need to learn to listen for pitch. One drum at a time. Find the pitch (start over by loosening all lugs) that best resonates with your drum. Match the pitch of each lug with your voice (sing). Make them all the same. At first, you might want to try to make the front and bottom heads of the drum the same pitch, that will sound good...if there is too much ring, muffle one of the heads with something.
    Also, I just discovered the way you hit the drums and your attitude (whether the drums are in tune or not) partially determines how good it sounds.

User Info Menu

Dampening really makes a difference in your sound. Try some Evans E-rings or maybe some gummies (duct tape if your broke) to dampen the overtones. You can get a crap drumset to sound great with new heads and have them dampened right!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Read about what famous drummers do. I've learned a lot from reading drum magazines like Modern Drummer or Drum!.
    Drummer Chicks Rule