Thread: Seattle Rhythm festival notes

User Info Menu

Default Seattle Rhythm festival notes

Well, I got back monday from three days of workshops, watching performances, and playing in drum circles at the Seattle Rhythm festival. I have to say it was a complete blast and quite educational and overwhelming. Some of the highlights from some of the workshops I attended (there was 6 percussion tracks going at the same, so there was no way for me to hit them all). But here are the ones I took:

Friday

Bill Matthews: African Rhythms 2-Hour Intensive - This was really pretty decent. He went through building up the parts for a mozambique with about 60~70 people in the class.

Saturday

Jill Sager: Beyond Drum Circles - This was not bad even though it was not my first choice. My first choice of Odd time signatures was canceled due to the instructor's mother passed away. It was a bit on the beginner side, but I don't have a problem with that, you can never practice the basics enough.

Jim Greiner: Shekere For Drum Circles, Performance & Recreation - I did this class with my wife and it was a hoot. Greiner is definitely of the laid back type. Never having played the shakere gourd before, it was nice to get some of the basics.

Melena : Afro-Cuban Percussion Class - This woman was extremely talented. My only complaint was she was really soft spoken and it was very difficult to make out what she was saying at times. Be that as it may, it was amazing just to watch her play, and I did take away a few pointers.

Kim Atkinson: Clave Consciousness - He broke down (mainly Son Clave) and really went into depth on counting it, playing it, and how it permeates so many different types of music. He likened it to ying-yang, and talked about what sorts of things happen on each side of the clave. Really good class

I did the drum circle after the classes for a while before calling it a day, apparently it went on through out the night and into the wee hours.

Sunday

Navaro Franco: Dancing Shekere - I enjoyed this class, but I learned that dancing and playing a percussion instrument does NOT work for me. I am just not that coordinated!

Kerry "Shakerman" Greene: Hand Drumming and Percussion Dialogues and Melodies - This guy was extremely energentic and got people playing some fairly common rhythms ( cou-cou and sheeko), but he did it in such a way that we jumped into it in the middle, eventually found the one, and then he highlighted the dialogues between the different parts.

Eduardo Mendonça: Brazilian Rhythms - He brought along a ton of different samba instruments for people to try, plus teaching the conga/djembe part. He built up all the parts to a samba song he had written and by the end we were playing it pretty well and did the whole call/response thing with the whistle and him directing. I have enough other drums that I don't see myself rushing out to get brazilan instruments, but it was a blast to get a hands on experience with them.

Arturo Rodriguez: Bomba - Music from Puerto Rico - He always had us doing 2 or three things at once, singing a part, playing a part on the conga, and tapping a rhythm with our foot. Definitely an exercise in independence. It was a blast though, because once the parts where built up, he taught the dance to a bunch of people and had them dance while the group played.

Pepe Danza: Paradiddle Bliss - Pepe is an amazing performer and an awesome teacher. In this class he showed how you could take paradiddles and voice them on the djembe to help improve your dexterity, speed, and tone.

By the time I was through with these classes my hands were about dead I did come home with a couple of new percussion toys from the vendors - a shakere gourd and a cajon. If nothing else, the whole weekend has definitely motivated me to keep practicing, learning and improving!

It will be interesting to hear DrumBum's take on the festival if he did indeed make it up there...
    ---- If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum. - chinese proverb

User Info Menu

Default Re: Seattle Rhythm festival notes

Sounds awesome Midgard! I'm glad you had a good time.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Seattle Rhythm festival notes

Midgard--I'm green with envy! Seriously, bro', sounds like you got one heck of an education in two days! Can't wait to hear you put that to use in a future vid!

Now on the Shekere Dancing seminar--were you dancing and drumming at the same time? If you were, then we're in the same boat ... I can play the hand drums very nicely, but my dancing reminds some people of a cow on crutches!

Guess I'll have to start planning for '09!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Wow, that sounds super intense.

I think my head would be spinning after that much activity.

WTG!!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Hey Midgard , looks like you did quite a few workshops and sounds like you had a blast . Thanks for the post , wish I could do something like that close to home here .

User Info Menu

The Cajon is a fun toy. I love mine. There is such immediate gratification. When you really get into it, I think you will also discover that it is very versatile. Also very portable, a big plus. :icon_lol:

Enjoy,

Chris
    Last edited by DrummerLady; 11-17-2008 at 11:30 AM. Reason: needed to sign

User Info Menu

Hey DrummerLady, it's good to see you back! I always thought the Cajon would be pretty cool too, and you're right, the portability is a big plus!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Seattle Rhythm festival notes

Drummerlady: Good to see ya back in the thread! Been too long!

PB: You can even use the cajon as a seat, depending on the size--and it works great even with other hand drums. (Don't try playin' bongos between your knees, however, if you play the cajon as well...)
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

The Seattle World Rhythm Festival is back this year I think starting April 23rd or 24th?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrummerLady View Post
    The Cajon is a fun toy. I love mine. There is such immediate gratification. When you really get into it, I think you will also discover that it is very versatile. Also very portable, a big plus.

Enjoy,

Chris
    Welcome back Chris. Don't be a stranger.