Thread: Roland TD9

User Info Menu

Default Roland TD9

I was wondering if anyone has any impressions they'd wish to share regarding the new Roland TD9.
    Begin the day with a friendly voice, a companion unobtrusive. - Rush

User Info Menu

Default Re: Roland TD9

The TD9 is a new arrival of a TD6 it's not bad ,sounds are good,if money isn't a problem I say the TD12 is better due to it's up grades,like cymbals, kick drum,module,etc.

User Info Menu

Agreed, nice beginners set and could be used for a long time after you become familiar with drumming.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

And for those that don't know the TD 20 has more effects, processing power and inputs (and pads included). But the same samples as the 12. Kinda irrelivent but handy to know :P

I looked at ones below the 12 but dont think they are worth it, Save for the 12 or better yet the 20.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

I ordered mine a week ago. I would have liked the 12, but for $1000 more bucks, it wasn't worth it to me for what I'm getting it for, which is quieter practice. If I intended to gig with it, I probably would have gone for a 12.

The TD-9 seems to be a pretty decent mid-level from what I read. I'm getting the all mesh version. The one thing I would probably change right off the top would be to get a mesh kick pad though. Other than that, it can handle the upgraded hi-hat (the 'full' one), accepts 2 more inputs (pads and/or cymbals), you can record yourself, line in to play along with 'yer favorite tunes, USB host for listening to WAV files, etc.

I don't have a lot of experience with V-drums as this is my first kit. I played on a TD-6 with the rubber pads, but wasn't too fond of them.
    bruarm - Mapex Mafia
    Mapex Pro M fusion kit natural finish
    Zildjians:
    14" K Custom Dark hats
    14" K Heavy Ride
    10" & 12" A fast splashes
    14", 16" & 18" A fast crashes
    Pearl Eliminator double kick
    Pearl free-floater brass snare (the deep one!!)
    not one, but 2 cowbells!!

User Info Menu

Hi,

I've just bought a TD-9Kx all mesh kit. It came packed in two boxes with instructions on how to re-pack the kit in case you need to, which was a nice touch. The kit itself is of very high quality and has a huge range of drumkit customisation options. It is also compact and very nice to play. The module is easy to navigate and the display is bright and clear.

I have only two reservations. The first is that the module has fifty built in songs that you can play along to by muting the other instruments and mimicking the drum pattern. However, there is no sheet music for this. I contacted Roland to ask if they could supply it and they said no. Now someone, somewhere has the written music for this as I am sure they would have used it when making the original recordings. But Roland won't supply.

My second gripe is the way that Roland (along with many companies these days) try to upscale you. The bass trigger is rubber and sometime in the future I will probably upgrade to mesh (at a cost of over £200). Also the high hat can be upgraded to one with proper feel, again at considerable cost. They also provide an inferior cymbal for the crash (compared to the TD-12) which unfortunately you can't upgrade. Knowing what I know now, I would probably have bought a TD-12. It is better value for money in the long run.

Having said that, the TD-9 does have instant record, which is great for monitoring my playing. The USB input is convenient for playing audio tracks to drum along to and the built in tunes can have their tempos adjusted for learning the beats. Hope this info is of use.

All the Best.

Paul.

User Info Menu

The kits with the mesh heads definitely play better than the rubber ones. I played the TD 10 kit for 5 years in a church. It performed great as far as sound control is concerned, but I totally lost interest in playing them after a while.

good luck
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dunplaying View Post
    ...My second gripe is the way that Roland (along with many companies these days) try to upscale you. The bass trigger is rubber and sometime in the future I will probably upgrade to mesh (at a cost of over £200).
    I've had mine for a week and agree about the upscaling. My beef was playing double pedal on the small rubber pad. The sweet spot is in the middle and, of course, neither beater hits the middle, so it was much quieter than I liked.

I was in to the music shop over the weekend asking about a mesh kick, and the salesman (both of who are great guys and straight up, no BS) said try different trigger settings to get more gain on the existing kick pad. I did find a setting that I upped and now I'm much happier with the volume.

He also said that he would not recommend the mesh bass pad as it has a lot of bounce back, which you can't really control. If all you ever play is the TD-9, you would adjust, but if you're going to switch between the TD-9 and an acoustic kit, it might be a trickier adjustment. At least it would be for me.
    bruarm - Mapex Mafia
    Mapex Pro M fusion kit natural finish
    Zildjians:
    14" K Custom Dark hats
    14" K Heavy Ride
    10" & 12" A fast splashes
    14", 16" & 18" A fast crashes
    Pearl Eliminator double kick
    Pearl free-floater brass snare (the deep one!!)
    not one, but 2 cowbells!!