Thread: Alesis DM5 Pro

User Info Menu

Default Alesis DM5 Pro

Hi all.

A non-drummer friend of mine is planning on buying an electronic kit, the Alesis DM5 Pro with the Surge Cymbals. I had a look at the kit myself, seeing as i know little of te electronic kits, but i don't know if it's a good buy or not. Anyone here got one/played one/recommend another?

Cheers
    Tai

User Info Menu

Default Re: Alesis DM5 Pro

Welcome to Drum Chat Tai! We have several folks that will be likely be able to give you an opinion. Sadly, I am not one of them. Hang in there, though, because one will be by soon.

Again, welcome to Drum Chat Tai!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

PB, you are so right. Some unsuspecting souls do show eventually.

If I'm thinking of the same module, I have owned an Alesis DM5 with an inexpensive Hart mesh pad kit. It was less that what I'd expected. The module seemed to only have a few really usable drum kits programmed in but mostly it seemed more like a novelty than a "band" use kit.

I was disappointed in the sounds that were available and only used it once before selling it. Or should I say I traded it in on a guitar. LOL

I would be sure to try it out and really scrutinize what it'll do for you. The first few plays will most likely be cool since the kit is new. But after you've played it for a while you may notice the limited effects that you get with the DM5.

Now in its defense, this was almost 5 years ago so maybe they've improved it since then. I, personally, would not purchase that particular module due to the limitations I found with the one I had.

If you are purchasing the entire kit be warned, yes you have mesh heads but the diameters are small and there is a plastic rim that sits up higher than the mesh head and it's easy to hit the plastic and not the mesh. My Hart 64 that 2slow got from me had rubber edges on all the playing side rims so even if you hit the rim, you didn't hear it.

But that kit was over 3K new and came with a nice rack and TD-8 Roland drum module.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Well. i have seen and played the Alesis DM5 Pro about 5 or 6 times. i liked it and thought it was a nice kit for the price. but i would have to agree with Bish. They have changed it. the heads are not mesh, they are real drum heads. and they have a rubber ring around the rims to make it quiet. at least on the one i saw. Bish was right about the sounds though. if you can afford it, i would recomend the Roland TD-20s BK V-Pro series.it is about 5,600$ you can look it up on google. the alesis is about 600 where i saw it.

i hope that helped........
    Last edited by indrewjones; 05-02-2008 at 04:15 PM.

User Info Menu

I was thinking of a DM5 module to make an electronic kit out of his accounstic kit. What would be a better module to look at for a reasonable price then instead?

User Info Menu

ohh srry, i was talking about the Roland TD-20s bk. that is 5600 not the alesis dm5. the dm5 is about 600. my bad.
    Indy.

User Info Menu

i dont know much about all the different types but either way i would recommend mesh heads that are comfortable. Because they are most realistic to an actual skin. And thus easier to convert to playing a real kit :>

Yamaha modules and roland modules are the two most popular though.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

If you can find one, the TD-8 would be a good option. I'm sure there are newer modules out that aren't up in the thousand dollar range but any more, to get a good usable drum module, you are going to shell out some serious coinage.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    If you can find one, the TD-8 would be a good option. I'm sure there are newer modules out that aren't up in the thousand dollar range but any more, to get a good usable drum module, you are going to shell out some serious coinage.
    There lyes the problem. I don't want to spend too much but still get something viable that he can practice with without blowing the house apart doing it. I had heard that the DM5 would work. How much is the TD-8 in comparison?

User Info Menu

you could look into a smaller hart dynamics kit. They use the roland module but keep cheep so no busting the bank.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Thanks, Stevo I'll check into that. What I want to do is convert his acoustic kit to triggers and a module with mesh heads. So really the module and triggers are all I need, and the module doesn't have to be that advanced, however I want it to sound good and have good samples. Also I want it to be able to plug an ipod into it and be able to play along to the music. I alway hated the way Ekits felt to play so I have never payed any attention to them.

User Info Menu

Hey backtodrum, I have an Alesis DM5 module that I, not to long ago got off ebay for $200, pretty much new. Including 6 toms, 1 snare, and 2 bass triggers!!

The samples are okay, I'm still kinda learning. The only downside about the module for me are the tom sounds. Not too realistic, but I guess I can live with it!
    I just recently got done converting my kit to a module and mesh heads. Not too bad! Just gotta make or buy electric cymbals!!!!

Good Luck,
    Gretsch219

User Info Menu

thanks Gretch219 keep us undated on your conversion and how it works out!

User Info Menu

making a conversion i find too hard... making the trigger bits and everything then getting it all together. Im going back to just buying a TD 20. But talk to 2slow. he can give you tips and also pm you some sites of even better people to get hints off of to learn how to convert.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

I personally found it easy to convert. I pretty much made everthing from scratch! Like: Hi-hat control box, mesh heads, cords from drums to module, and cymbals. With the cymbals, I just need to know put some piezos, and hook it up to my DM5.

Now me being a peson that likes to make my own stuff, I also want to try to build my rack for the cymbals and DM5 Module. Should be a fun task!

I just like the feeling after I make and complete my Homemade projects!!!
    Gretsch219

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    I was thinking of a DM5 module to make an electronic kit out of his accounstic kit. What would be a better module to look at for a reasonable price then instead?
    Before the DM5, Alesis had a D-4. The sounds in the D-4 are superior to the new DM5. I have helped set up three DM5's for purchasers and would not buy one. I used a D-4 for years and it took a dump...I bought a Yamaha DTXpress IV kit mainly for the module. I hooked it up to my accoustic drums and I am thrilled with the sounds. This is just my own opinion.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the advice 62656, I'll checkout the Yamaha DT Express. I too have heard the D4 was better than the 5 but they are becoming harder to come by these days.

User Info Menu

So backtodrum, how's the search going for ya?!? have you found a module or kit you like yet? Here's a link from ebay on a Yamaha DTxpress:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-DTXPRESS-...050498324QQihZ

Good Luck bro!
    Gretsch219