Thread: what is the best amp for electronic drums

User Info Menu

Default what is the best amp for electronic drums

Hi my name is Bob I have been playing accoustic drums for years now i bought a yamaha dtxexpress electronic drum set with a 300 watt keyboard amp that came with it i get good bass drum sound but don't get much cymbal tone out of it is there a better amp that I can get that would work for me this is my first electronic set. Please help me if you can Thank You!

User Info Menu

Default Re: what is the best amp for electronic drums

My first reaction is to go to any local music shops that might offer amplification systems or sells electronic drums so you can hear what you would be buying.

I know there are several brands out there but I've only played through PA systems or headphones so I have no experience with "monitor" systems for edrums.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Hey bdrummer welcome to drumchat ! I too play thru a keyboard amp but, 99 % of the time i play with head phones because i only use the electric kit for practice . If i was going to play them out i would really want a complete sound system for the kit. Amps,effects,main speakers,subs and monitors unless the groups sound system was up to the task then a couple of powered monitors would work...with 15" speakers like the JBLs,peavey,mackie...ect I have played thru my churchs system for awhile it's bose 2 over heads and a sub sounds good there but, would not be near enough for a concert ! I really think you can shop around and find a powered speaker system with sub for a good price ! Hope this helps ! John
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

I use my Fender keyboard amp for drum sounds from my syth and it reproduces them fairly well. Keyboard amps are designed to give you the full frequency spectrum and usually work fairly well for most instruments. This is probably a stupid question, and excuse me for stating the obvious but you should be able to adjust the equilization of the amp, by turning down the bass and turning up the treble until you get the sound you want. If the Keyboard amp has an effects loop, you could use an external equalizer if the amps equilization isn't doing it for you. Which keyboard amp do you have?
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

depends what you want it for and how much you wanna spend.
    I did quite a lot of research on amps and I can post you a link to a review from an edrums forum. [ if you like]

for practise and monitor your 300 watt keyboard amp should be good, what model is it? [ roll all the bass off and test the horn for high frequencies, what size is the driver on the horn/tweeter?

for [Foh] front of house sound you will need something more substantial.
    I bought a sub and a 550watt 12 and horn for mids and top end, with built in crossovers, I am playing mainly small to mid size rooms and it is plenty powerful. weight and size was an issue for me, so I went for the 200 watt sub not the 750 watt monster.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

2slow kind of covered it.

You want something with a huge quality speaker and a horn or another smaller speaker as well. This creating your huge frequency range for your drums to sound through. which is what creates your quality sound.

So pick your power to what you want to do keeping that in mind and you will find the perfect amp for the job because there are just too many on the market.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo42w View Post
    2slow kind of covered it.

You want something with a huge quality speaker and a horn or another smaller speaker as well. This creating your huge frequency range for your drums to sound through. which is what creates your quality sound.

So pick your power to what you want to do keeping that in mind and you will find the perfect amp for the job because there are just too many on the market.
    Stevo, If weight and size are an issue, then a 12" cab and horn plus 10" sub can provide excellent sound quality. Speaker manufacturers today provide major sound out of smaller high tech speaker extrusions.

User Info Menu

i would consider a jbl package is size and weight matters they have a 12' an horn with a 13... or 18 inch sub that are both powered and built in crossovers. eons are great speakers. And good value too.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

we plug my eltric kit into the PA at rehersals and have it coming out of a speaker which we put just behind the drums, it sounds good =] =]

User Info Menu

what kind of speaker is that?
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu