Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paradiddle

User Info Menu

Default Paradiddle

Hey, I started playing drums about 4 years ago and only had a couple lessons and then had to stop and am just now picking things up again, ive been working on some basic rudiments but have a quick question about the paradiddle. Right now wihen i do the RR and LL s i just do two normally strokes i guess you would call it, but its causing me some trouble now that i can pick up speed. Anyways all my question is, is on the second hit should is just be a bounce? It seems when i get going pretty fast im kinda doing it anyways but i think if relearned it doing a bounce slowly i could probaly get them much cleaner and better, just wondering if this is the right thing to so.... thanks for the help =D i know im a nub nubby mc nub pants but....

User Info Menu

ummmmmmmmmmmmmm.......................... What?

Sorry i can't understand your question, but i'll do the best to answer it.

A paradiddle is LRLL or RLRR. To do this simply hit the drum... I don't know what you mean when you say bounce, but i'm going to guess you mean buzz. So a buzz is when you press the head of the stick into the head, and there are no buzzes in a pardiddle

Anyways, heres a really bad clip of a paradiddle

http://www.oakgrove.lake.k12.il.us/t...Paradiddle.mov

User Info Menu

yes Eons, you are right...this is a good idea....relearn it with doing bounces on the last 2 hits.....he's not talking about buzzes there mate

User Info Menu

Alright thanks alot, yea sorry the wording was kinda bad

User Info Menu

Your paradiddle strokes need to be all equally spaced notes. For example 16th notes. If you are practicing on a snare drum or a practice pad, it's easy to pick up speed, because of the "rebound", but the notes can get uneven. Try practicing on a pillow (that has no rebound) so your notes are even. Your paradiddle should sound exactly like your single stroke roll, unless to chose to accent a certain stroke.RLRRLRLL should sound like RLRLRLRL. Practice to get it perfect, forget about speed...that will come later.
    BOOOOOO!!!

User Info Menu

Boo's right.. they have to be equally spaced. the whole point of paradiddles is to try and sound like your just going RLRLRLRL, not RLRRLRLL. i used to make accents with my paradiddles on the capitols like this:
    R l RR L r LL so every1 would know i was doing a paradiddle and my drum teacher taught me better so yeah
    make sure you dont do that
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

the easiest way to do the paradiddle is to first make ur hand as flexible as anything lol. and let the ll rr follow accordingly. thats all

User Info Menu

Amen- forget about speed and just keep working on it..speed will come later

I recomend a practice pad and some heavy sticks- then move to snare and use smaller sticks to perform

i will post back somewhere about stick positioning somewhere else if ur interested

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I normally practice them on the floor or sometimes a pillow. But I guess i'll keep doing them how i've been doing it just every hit like a single stroke, which i think i've got that down pretty good. i've pretty much only been practicing them for the past 3 or 4 days for like 4 to 5 hours a day lol cause i wanted to get my speed better but ill just move with other things too and not worry about it so much. also i do my accents like this Rrll Lrll with the capitals letters representing the accents, thats right... right? Sorry i ramble alot in my post =D

User Info Menu

i will post back somewhere about stick positioning somewhere else if ur interested[/QUOTE]

.... please do

User Info Menu

Disregard my previous statement, i was kind of out of it there.

User Info Menu

i love parrididdles!! except i cant spell them! lol
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

paradiddles... I'm a good speler.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer
    paradiddles... I'm a good speler.

its speeler you moron!

User Info Menu

That was the joke Lucid.

User Info Menu

drummer i think lucid was joking too.. lol
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

haha lezzle i think your right or lucid is just an ***!!! but eyah i don't know, was up?
    Live Life The Way You Want To Live It!!!

-[;-)--CALEB N.!!!

User Info Menu

no no...I was jokin man

Sorry if im comin off as an a*s...my jokes arent good when texting because I cant present my tone in which i say them..so i end up lookin like a d*ck...my bad everyone

User Info Menu

haha aight it's cool!!! yeah it hard not soundng like a a2s on chat stuff when your joking!!!

-[;-)--CALEB N.!!!

User Info Menu

lol

especially when your like me and your main humor is sarcasm lol

Ill say something and then someone will be like...what? (wondering if im serious or not) lol

User Info Menu

lol nice!!! but yeah i'm the same way!!! but my friends know me well enough to know that i am joking!!! haha!!!

-[;-)--CALEB N.!!!

User Info Menu

You don't have to be sarcastic to joke. I know some guys that do this and they really are a-holes. I mean this nicely, not in a bad way.
    Drummer Chicks Rule

User Info Menu

shwing

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alien
    shwing
    hahahaha, waynes world.... nice
    Eskimos

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drums drums drums
    You don't have to be sarcastic to joke. I know some guys that do this and they really are a-holes. I mean this nicely, not in a bad way.

*sarcasm* of course not in the bad way...no no...didnt get that vibe at all
    nope..
    no sir-ree
    not at all..

:D