Thread: I walked into the music store and....

User Info Menu

Default I walked into the music store and....

I guess its important to briefly understand my position. I am just learning to play drums. I've been playing for a month. I know some basic beats and have begun combining them in two measure exercises.

So I walk into my local music store, just to kill time as my wife is in her mecca, Michael's (the arts and crafts store). I wander over to keyboards looking for two new models and neither are there yet. I decide to head over to drums really not having a clue about what I'm doing or looking at in terms of difference in quality sound ect. I play on an expensive Yamaha kit, sounds nice, plays nice (at least I'm not giving anyone headaches because I can keep a beat anymore). The point is that the special uniqueness of this expensive and great Yamaha Kit I'm playing on is wasted on someone like me as I really am not good enough to notice the subtleties.

I play some ekits and loved some of the Roland ones but I simply don't need and or don't have the room for an ekit. I will say Roland has done a remarkable job with these ekits.

Then I find myself in front of the Congas. I strike one passing by it nonchalantly and like the sound, I stop, go back and strike it again. Man that sound, Santana and many other songs and bands flood my mind, it has begun. I play for a little but not really knowing how to play the Congas. I do at least play on beat and can produce a decent sound as my open and Bass sounds are passible. The slap, well lets just say that one will take a while. I am now in my own world and loving it. My wife comes in and sees it in my eyes. I've got the fever, I'm buying me some Congas baby, yeah baby yeah!! I buy the Congas and got some decent ones they were used but they were the Latin Congas and of good quality I've been told.

My drum lesson is in 15 minutes. I get over there and tell my teacher what I did. I'm expecting him to tell me well you should focus on one or the other. Instead he embraces it and is ecstatic as he loves the Congas and has been searching for students to teach. My lessons will no consist of both drum and congas. Teacher is very happy and student is very happy. Man today was a good day!!

Any opinions? What do you think? Mistake or good thing?
    Last edited by silverdragonsound; 05-02-2008 at 09:33 PM.
    Begin the day with a friendly voice, a companion unobtrusive. - Rush

User Info Menu

Default Re: I walked into the music store and....

Well, even though I don't play congas, I would love to. So in my opinion, you have definately done a good thing...
    KiwiMapexDrummer - Mapex Mafia
    Mapex M Birch 6 piece in Transparent Honey Amber.
    Sabian, Temple Percussion Cymbals
    Paiste 2002 Hats.

User Info Menu

great thing dude. great thing. you could even set up like the guy from goverment mule with your congas next to your high hat.
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

How can anything that can give you so much happiness ever not be good? Good for you and your teacher.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: I walked into the music store and....

Now you KNOW what I'm gonna say, SDS!

As Gloria Estefan would sing, "the rhythm's gonna get ya!" Actually, playing hand drums complements what you're learning on the kit--and vice versa!

Many of my early lessons were both set and hand drums--and while I've focused on the hand drums lately, I can still play a fairly good drumkit if I do say so...

Don't worry about the slaps...even Martin Cohen acknowledged years ago that it takes "mucho practice to get the slap, but once you get it, it's pure joy!" (It took me the better part of ten years to get my slaps straight, and my heel-toe technique is more like a "turn-your-ankle" technique--that is, playing my left hand from side to side rather than front to back--but it works for me.)

DD, didn't know gov't mule's drummer played congas like that...something I gotta check out (and try!)...

Congrats from the "original" bongo brother to our newest hand-slammer! Play those LPs, man, and...you know what else I usually say: "Keep the beat goin'!"
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    DD, didn't know gov't mule's drummer played congas like that...something I gotta check out (and try!)...
    his is actualy a demjali and bongos but same basic idea. its also something ive been dyeing to try but i put a xylaphone there. not to mention i dont own any hand drums so no dice. but if you do you should put up a vid of it
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

SDS, I've done the same thing. I hear Santana, and I want to play hand drums too. I think that it's that we're new enough to the drums that we don't know that we shouldn't do it, so we do!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Congratz SDS! By no meands did you go wrong - I think you will find that learning the congas will introduce into some pretty intense synchopation. A lot of afro-cuban music is so synchopated that learning it should have a positive impact on your kit playing. Another advantage is you can haul them around a whole lot easier - drag them to the local drum circle, head to the park on a nice day for some practice, or whatever. Again, welcome to the group!!
    ---- If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum. - chinese proverb

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: I walked into the music store and....

Thanks for the support Guys. I am also glad to hear that there are great benefits. Ever since I've started playing the drums I've been so excited about learning. Its a natural high in and of itself. I'm going to set up my congas and then practice both the Congas and drums! Again thanks for the support, it means so much to be able to share feeling and excitement with others who understand the passion this brings out in me/us.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    Now you KNOW what I'm gonna say, SDS!
    I actually thought about you as I purchased the Congas. I could see the smile on your face as I knew you would approve.

User Info Menu

Congrats, SDS.

You can't go wrong at all ever with any instrument. Knock'm dead!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silverdragonsound View Post
    I actually thought about you as I purchased the Congas. I could see the smile on your face as I knew you would approve.
    Haha- that's the disease of DrumChat.
    jimbolimbo99 Mapex Mafia

Mapex M Birch
    Sabian AA and Paragons
    Zildjian A's
    Meinl Generation X
    Dream Lion
    Trick Pro-1V

My band

My Kit