Thread: Whats the best double bass pedal?

User Info Menu

Default Whats the best double bass pedal?

Hey guys, new to the forum but I love it already.
    My drum instructor got some axis long boards but my feet are to big to play heel toe on them. So what is my best option?

Shazane Guest

Default Re: Whats the best double bass pedal?

Your feet are too big for Axis Longboards? They're 2 inches longer than anything else, you might never be able to play heel-toe if this is true!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA4Sq0mqU-k
    Maybe try this technique, it's what I primarily use.

User Info Menu

what size feet do you have? holy crap
    "I mean honestly... I don't understand how "boom-click-boom-click-boom-click"evades a drummer...." ~ Kryshah

Gretsch Catalina Club Mod
    Sabian cymbals:
    18 in. AAXplosion crash
    21 in. AA raw bell ride
    16 in. Vault crash
    14 in. AAX stage hats
    Paiste:10 in. metal splash
    Zildjian:zil-bel
    DW 7000 double pedals
    PDP hardware
    EMAD!!!

User Info Menu

the "heel-toe" technique is more of a "toe-toe" technique. Both hits are with your toes, your heel is down for the first and up for the second.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

oh, ok quikstang thanks for the better description I thought you had to play with your heels and your toes.

And to answer all of your questions I wear size 13 shoes

But still, what is the best kind of pedal to get?

User Info Menu

I also wear size 13 shoes, and I haven't had any problem with any of the double pedals I've tested. However, I play heel up. That may be the difference.

There have been a couple of other threads about double pedals recently, and what you really need to do is get to a local shop that has a few doubles you can test out, to see what feels the best for YOU. Everyone here will be recommending their own favorite pedal, but they're all very different and you need to get a feel for what works for you and your style of playing.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TURTLINATOR View Post
    oh, ok quikstang thanks for the better description I thought you had to play with your heels and your toes.

And to answer all of your questions I wear size 13 shoes

But still, what is the best kind of pedal to get?
    I'm still looking for that video...

I prefer direct drive pedals. I love the Axis A longboards, but if I get another pedal it'll probably be the Gibraltar Intruder.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

"Can be done on any foot board with any foot size"

http://www.drummerworld.com/Drumclin...ick_Pope3.html

He exagerrates it a bit. I come down with my foot as one unit and then add the extra toe in between. It's a mix between the "constant release" version and the "heel toe" version. To be honest, I don't play doubles often at all, especially not for speed. I just play singles faster.