Thread: tick, tick, tick, DING! (Do you use a metronome when rehearsing tunes for a gig?)

User Info Menu

Cool tick, tick, tick, DING! (Do you use a metronome when rehearsing tunes for a gig?)

Most all of us used a metronome at one time or another when we were learning the rudiments...

but how many of you rehearse for a gig using a metronome?

Today, John, Craig and I were reviewing some new material for Quantum Fizz, including reviewing material we plan to use on a demo CD, and on a couple of tunes we just couldn't get into sync (the guitar was goin' one way, the keyboard another, and even yours truly had a few stumbles while keepin' the beat goin') UNTIL we used a metronome.

John has one built into his keyboard (hence the "tick tick tick DING!" mentioned at the start of this thread...and when we discovered the optimum tempo for each tune, everything started falling into place and sounding much smoother.

I told John that while we don't need to play like robots (and some of playlist frankly is a bit loose and fun to play), the more consistent we are when rehearse, the more consistent we'll be on gigs...and on albums! (And we're even thinking about what to put up on a MySpace page!)

Whether you do or you don't, share your thoughts!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Default Re: tick, tick, tick, DING! (Do you use a metronome when rehearsing tunes for a gig?)

Always great to get the other band members using a click whenever you can. It definitely helps the whole band. It's not necessary to "always" rehearse with a click unless you're trying to solve tempo problems for specific songs or unless the band is using a sequencer and you'll all be playing with it on the gig.

User Info Menu

Default Re: tick, tick, tick, DING! (Do you use a metronome when rehearsing tunes for a gig?)

I practice with a metronome with rudiments grooves and recently fills. Oh man it helps a lot especially with doing fills.
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Yes and No, sometimes, maybe but not always.
    I have one in my electronic set and it sets peeps straight when there is an issue though.

User Info Menu

I keep a metronome in my stick bag, did I mention that in the "Stick Bag" thread, just for that purpose. I don't use it to often but, when the ocassional discussion arises about proper tempo, I use it to gauge myself and the band.
    More often, however, I will sit at home; read through my charts and use the metronome to set my mind to each one and write the Tempo mark on my score. That way, I am ready to play at rehearsal and gig.

User Info Menu

I practice all of the time with one. I think it is great to help lock in a sense of timing.

User Info Menu

Hey Bro, I think that using the metronome to iron out some timing issues in rehearsal is a great idea. It will get you guys nice and tight for the songs and give you all a good feel as to what the tempo of the song should be. This will tighten you up live too. It took me a bit of getting used to while in rehearsal even though I use it about 90% of the time while I practice at home.Once you guys are comfortable with the tempo and have the feel for it, you most likely will throw the metronome away
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

Cool Re: tick, tick, tick, DING! (Do you use a metronome when rehearsing tunes for a gig?)

Update: We still use the metronome on some of the songs, and as a side benefit, John is now asking me what time signature I think works best on each one.

So not only is our music getting tighter and more professional-sounding, we're all reviewing Music Theory 101!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Great stuff Bro. YOu got much odd time sigs going in your songs?
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

Metronome?? Me, never
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    Update: We still use the metronome on some of the songs, and as a side benefit, John is now asking me what time signature I think works best on each one.

So not only is our music getting tighter and more professional-sounding, we're all reviewing Music Theory 101!
    tell him lets try this one in 19/16.

1DrJoy Guest

I love using a metronome! I use it in band rehersals and in my own pracitce time as well as suggesting it to the other members of the bands I play in. They have found it useful as they have realised that they really need to spend time working on their listening skills in relation to time and not just tuning!!! ha ha ha
    One thing I did do for a while in an old band was to start the song with a click and part way through fade the click out and then a couple of choruses later bring the click back in to see how my timing was......interesting to do if you can.......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1DrJoy View Post
    One thing I did do for a while in an old band was to start the song with a click and part way through fade the click out and then a couple of choruses later bring the click back in to see how my timing was......interesting to do if you can.......
    I like the idea DrJoy. What are you doing to get it to fade out and back in while you're playing?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

1DrJoy Guest

Hey Pastor Bob,
    I originally used it on a set of V-Drums where the faders were within easy reach but I am trying to save up for a little portable mixing desk so I can plug in a normal metronome to it and run it like that.

User Info Menu

I dont have one. I think if its your own material its not really necessary as it is the other people following you really. For covers it probably would be better though as it gives a better sense of time. What would you do if in the song it changed tempo?

User Info Menu

years ago when i was playing in a funk band i was using one all the time. then was playing in a band that was very hard to play that straight to, so i kinda gave it up for awhile. and not to bring it up again but... the rock band game kinda made me realize i needed to go back to practicing with one. it is VERY helpful when doing multi track recording. and pretty much a MUST if you are using pro tools. all i can say is that if you plan a career in drumming you better get used to playing with the click.

User Info Menu

I use it when I'm practicing on my own all the time. I don't really have anything that I could use with the band, but it would be good to have when we learning new stuff (we're a cover band).

Having said all that, I worry sometimes that it might become a bit of a crutch if you use it too much. I like 1DrJoy's idea of fading the click out and back in. That would let you and/or the band know where they stand, timing wise.

Another thing I'll do is set the tempo to half of what I want and play in between if that makes any sense. For example, instead of playing 16's at 120bpm, play 32's at 60bpm or something like that. Just gives more blank space and forces you to nail your timing.
    bruarm - Mapex Mafia
    Mapex Pro M fusion kit natural finish
    Zildjians:
    14" K Custom Dark hats
    14" K Heavy Ride
    10" & 12" A fast splashes
    14", 16" & 18" A fast crashes
    Pearl Eliminator double kick
    Pearl free-floater brass snare (the deep one!!)
    not one, but 2 cowbells!!

User Info Menu

I tried to use a metronome but I didn't have the time.

Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post

User Info Menu

Wow, tough crowd.
    Signature here