Thread: tuning question

User Info Menu

Default tuning question

if i want a really deep sound from my 22" kick drum, how should i tune it? I currently have it tuned meduim-tight, and it sounds okay, but it defintly could be much deeper

ThePloughman Guest

Default Re: tuning question

This question is useless without........ Make, number of lugs, type of hoops, type of heads, and muffling if any being used.

User Info Menu

You didn't describe the heads and what you are using for dampening, all of those things have an affect on the sound of the drum not just tunning alone.

User Info Menu

pacific CX series drum, 8 lugs, has a pillow and a blanket inside, has a remo coated powerstroke 3 for the batter head, and the stock reso head.

User Info Menu

hears what i did with the same drum. take out the pillow. take a small (towel sized) blanket. roll it up and line the bottom against the batter head with it. look at the dave wekel mulfel to get an idea. and port it. my kicks are now uber deep sounding and still give me great punch and feel.
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by negativeattitude View Post
    It's been my experience that a kick will sound it's fullest when tensioned just to the point where the shell begins to resonate, much more beyond that and you're just on your way to decreasing the amount of resonance("choking" the drum).

The blanket being used probably isn't helping to obtain a deeper sound one bit, the pdp pillow should be sufficiant. Your batter is a 10 ply head with a 10 ply underlay(should cut the overtones well enough without a blanket installed). Large amounts of muffling touching the front or rear head is just killing the tone and body that gives depth and low end punch to a kick drum.

In some cases a kick may be tightened up more than needed(miking purposes, use of triggers, "clickier" sound, particular feel, etc.), but both heads set at the same tension(where the shell resonates)should produce the fullest sound possible for that shell.

not to step on any toes here NegativeAttitude but
    dont be confused by him saying 10 ply
    you dont have a 20 ply batter head those are the thicknesses
    as for my experience
    loosen the batter head up a bit more than it is currently (and actually tune it dont just turn all the lugs back a little bit)
    then port the resoant head and tune that a bit above wrinkle and there yolu have it
    what beater are you using
    felt?
    plastic?
    wood?
    heavy or light?
    all of these can change it a little bit
    good luck
    "I mean honestly... I don't understand how "boom-click-boom-click-boom-click"evades a drummer...." ~ Kryshah

Gretsch Catalina Club Mod
    Sabian cymbals:
    18 in. AAXplosion crash
    21 in. AA raw bell ride
    16 in. Vault crash
    14 in. AAX stage hats
    Paiste:10 in. metal splash
    Zildjian:zil-bel
    DW 7000 double pedals
    PDP hardware
    EMAD!!!

ThePloughman Guest

He means 10 mil single ply with 10 mil tone ring. Creating a double ply at the bearing edge and aprox. 2 inches in. Get rid of the blanket. Ease up on your tuning, both sides. Bring the bass drum up till it has a good tone, then bring the batter up until it evens out. You should have plenty of boom. Your stock pillow,..........not some king sized bed pillow, should help control whatever tones you have on the resonant side.

User Info Menu

HOLA como estas DEATHMETALDRUMMER(CRETIVE ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMER(CAT) THIS is A Very OlD SCHOOL (WAY-TECHNIQUE -TUNING-APPLIED-For the BASS DRUM) PER-say YOU all ready HAVE SOME FELT the KIND used on *(AND FOR-POOL TALBES)**YOU cut A PIECE
    3" -in width and IN LENGHT of the LENGHT of YOUR HEAD 24"-22"-20" or what-ever LENGHT You use ,TAKE this FELT that you cut 3"WIDTH X the LENGHT size of your BASS DRUM ,AND TAKE DUCK TAP or BLACK ELECTRICAL
    TAPE(3-M-BRAND) PLACE THE FELT at the BOTTOM of THE IN-SIDE HEAD
    AND TAP it USEING 3-PIECES of DUCK TAP or ELECTRICAL TAP*THEN TUNE
    up YOUR BASS DRUM PER -say You ACTUALLY do this TUNE up THE BEATER SIDE with A More DEFINED TENSION (SLIGHTY-TIGHTER)AS the FELT will
    allow YOu THE CREATIVE ARTIST TO create your DESIRED TONE SOUND ACTION *THAT the ARTIST CAN Be HAPPY with* AND THE (FRONT-HEAD_(REESO-HEAD) you NOW can TUNE USEING VERY LITTLE TENSION on the
    Front HEAD SO this Will CREATE A THUNDEROUS ROARING LOW TONE A VERY DISTINCT PUNCH (SHARP LIKE A KNIGHTS SWORD)*
    WHICH IS VERY POWER-FULL STRONG SOUND * I know this AS I use THIS
    TECHNIQUE **I always SAY WHAT-EVER WORKS FOR THE CREATIVE ARTISTIC OPEN MINDED ARTIST DRUMMER IS ALL GREAT *WITHIN THIS VERY ANCIENT SPIRITUAL ANCIENT ART FORM **&WITHIN THE ARTIST OWN JOURNEYS****
    Last edited by STICKSWIZZARDDRAGON; 05-04-2008 at 05:47 PM.

User Info Menu

Take all of the laundry out of the drum, bring the tension up a bit as plow described and roll a towel up and place it against the resonate head and it will sound like a cannon. That is essentially the same shell I have (PDP LX) and that is the way my bass drum is tunned. Only I took some spray adhesive and applied a felt donut to the middle of my resonant head and I don't put anything for muffling in the drum.