Thread: Internal Dampening and Tuning Problems

User Info Menu

Default Internal Dampening and Tuning Problems

Ok i have (just created!) alot of issues with my snare. There was a bolt rattling around in it so took off the head and took out the bolt. Then i saw the internal dampener the bolt had come loose from. I took the dampener off to see what it sounded like and now it rings so much! should i put the dampener back in?

Also im having problems with my snare wire. Even before the dampener incident my snare never truly sounded like a snare, i cant seem to get the snare wire tight enough. It sounds kinda like a box with a tiny bit of snare. Should i get a new wire? Could my reso head be too tight?

Thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Internal Dampening and Tuning Problems

well i dont know about the dampener but with the snare wires you may need to lossen them so they can vibrate more. i know it seems strange but the tighter they are the less you hear them. try lossening them.
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

Arrow Re: Internal Dampening and Tuning Problems

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterious Stan View Post
    Ok i have (just created!) alot of issues with my snare. There was a bolt rattling around in it so took off the head and took out the bolt. Then i saw the internal dampener the bolt had come loose from. I took the dampener off to see what it sounded like and now it rings so much! should i put the dampener back in?

Also im having problems with my snare wire. Even before the dampener incident my snare never truly sounded like a snare, i cant seem to get the snare wire tight enough. It sounds kinda like a box with a tiny bit of snare. Should i get a new wire? Could my reso head be too tight?

Thanks
    Sometimes, we drummers get locked into a certain theory and find it hard to move away from. Tightening the heads is one such theory. If the Resonant snare head is to tight, it is taken in closer to the shell of the drum. Most of us do not have snare beds incorporated into the drum. So, when you tighten the reso head to much, it pulls away from the snares themselves and sounds less like a snare drum. So, loosen up the reso head to check for snare response. You might also want to check your snare wires for any bends, pulls, kinks that may cause this to rattle as well. The number of snare wires can also be a factor. For over 40 some years, I played with a 20 strand wire snare. I recently put on a 40 strand snare. Man, I can tell you, my snare never sounded this good before. I keep the reso head slightly looser than before and play around with the snare tension to get just the sound I want. I don't use the damper but, I do use Moon Gel and am quite happy with is. Hope there is something in this that you can use.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Sometimes, we drummers get locked into a certain theory and find it hard to move away from. Tightening the heads is one such theory. If the Resonant snare head is to tight, it is taken in closer to the shell of the drum. Most of us do not have snare beds incorporated into the drum. So, when you tighten the reso head to much, it pulls away from the snares themselves and sounds less like a snare drum. So, loosen up the reso head to check for snare response. You might also want to check your snare wires for any bends, pulls, kinks that may cause this to rattle as well. The number of snare wires can also be a factor. For over 40 some years, I played with a 20 strand wire snare. I recently put on a 40 strand snare. Man, I can tell you, my snare never sounded this good before. I keep the reso head slightly looser than before and play around with the snare tension to get just the sound I want. I don't use the damper but, I do use Moon Gel and am quite happy with is. Hope there is something in this that you can use.
    HOLA COMO ESTAS FIACOVAZ *FRANK*CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMER(CAT) EXCELLENT POINTS that You STATED *40STRAND ISVERY HOT **GRACIAS MI AMIGO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterious Stan View Post

Thanks
    throw it away, I hate them things. old school, humbug. use moon gel, or even duck tape a pair of old sweaty sox to the head anything but an internal damper. yoikes.

User Info Menu

I would have to agree. Internal dampeners go against modern tuning practices and thought. It's an obstruction of the natural sound movement inside the drum and prevents a pure tone. I've also tried both extensively and you can feel the difference as well as hear it.

User Info Menu

I took the internal dampener off my snare and put it on another one that I refinished. With the right head selection and tuning the ringing is very minimal. I would like to find another internal dampener to put in it though. If nothing else, it'll fill the holes in the shell.

As for the snare strand issue, the two snares I have that didn't sound the way I wanted... I just replaced the throw off and butt side for better ones. Problem solved.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

I like mine on my old school 70s supra and even use it. I haven't felt the need for one on my maple snare however.

User Info Menu

I would suggest that if your snare has an internal dampner, its an older drum?
    I would put it back together so not to have a hole in the drum when the fitting goes but do not tighten it so it touchers the head. Tune the drum as you want (reso head looser that the batter for a big snare sound or maybe both the same pitch to hear the overtones of the drum) and if you have problems with "tangy overtones", put an o-ring on the top and that should do the job

As for the snares themselves, if the drum is older the snare throw off may not be doing its job propelly so may need replacing. As mentioned above you could also have everything way too tight which is choking the snare

good luck with it.
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

some good comments here.....#1 I would suggest re tuning the snare. went through this last Jan. when re doing an old kit and had to spend almost as much time tuning the old snare as the entire kit....I left the adjustable dampner in, but do not use it. It fills the holes, strictly cosmetic. I would suggest a touch of silicone on it so it doesn't come loose or rattle. once the drum is tuned to itself properly, then add your snares, and adjust as mentioned.

quickstang2 ...I think I have a dampner that I took off my old pearl set, and filled the hole....what are the odds it would fit yours????

Gerry

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RIFF WRATH View Post
    quickstang2 ...I think I have a dampner that I took off my old pearl set, and filled the hole....what are the odds it would fit yours????

Gerry
    Well mine is an old CB...
    pm being sent now.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Hey guys i just thought i would post an update. Thanks for the great advice. I left the dampener out, loosened the reso head alot and tightened up the batter head. I also duct taped some material onto the top head just in the corner to stop the ring. My problem is now fixed. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Glad to hear you got it fixed!