Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hand drums with sticks

User Info Menu

Default hand drums with sticks

at a gig last night the band before us had a keybordist who was also a percusionist. tith cow bells, wind chimes, and a set of lp giovani series bongos. before the show he let me play on them, and then we made a drum circle with a demjali a conga, and his bongos. he took out marching sticks and beat the snot out of those bongos. they didnt even sound good when he did it. and they sounded great with the hands. and i wondered how does playing hand drums with sticks affect the hand drum?
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

Cool Re: hand drums with sticks

Quote Originally Posted by drummerdavie View Post
    at a gig last night the band before us had a keybordist who was also a percusionist. tith cow bells, wind chimes, and a set of lp giovani series bongos. before the show he let me play on them, and then we made a drum circle with a demjali a conga, and his bongos. he took out marching sticks and beat the snot out of those bongos. they didnt even sound good when he did it. and they sounded great with the hands. and i wondered how does playing hand drums with sticks affect the hand drum?
    Hey, DD, don't panic...I moved your thread to PERCUSSION because it's a question that comes up often in both kit playing and hand drumming discussions.

While those Giovannis sound killer (I've played them at GC), playing them with sticks defeats the whole purpose of having them as hand drums.

Some people play bongos with sticks because the sound is sharper and louder (almost like playing Roto-Toms without the metallic ring). Like you, DD, I don't like the way they sound played with sticks.

Some do so because they can play cowbells, wind chimes, jam blocks and bongos without having to drop the sticks to get a riff in on the bongos. (Ironically, in authentic Latin bands, the bongo player will often drop the bongos to grab the cowbell--remember LP has a model called the "bongo" cowbell!)

IMHO, "beating the snot out of those bongos" with sticks is something I don't like because, as someone else mentioned elsewhere in the Drum Questions forum, there's a likelihood you could tear up the bearing edge of the bongo shells. And if you play sticks on bongos as hard as you would on your toms or timbales, you may end up breaking the bongo heads or, at the least, dent them as badly as you would when you hammer your toms.

If you like the way they sound, cool...but to me it defeats the purpose of having bongos with your set...you might as well buy mini-timbales or Roto-Toms if you want that kind of effect...or learn how to replace bongo heads. If I had to do it, I would use soft-headed mallets before sticks, but I prefer not to!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Default Re: hand drums with sticks

thanks bb. that makes a lot of sense

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

I was going to say basically the same thing. Great post BB.

User Info Menu

With the congas, I have played some traditional african rhythms where you play with one hand and one stick, but I wouldn't do that on bongos or a djembe. Often the stick is struck on the side or shell of the drum for a wood tone (like with a cascara rhythm), other times it is a Stick on Head for a sharper tone in conjunction with the hand playing on the head. This is about as far as I get towards playing hand drums with sticks. You definitely don't want to head a djembe with a stick, and bongos it just doesn't make sense. If I am playing something that calls for a stick on head and I have a djembe, I just sub in an open tone.
    ---- If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum. - chinese proverb

User Info Menu

oh thats fairly interesting midgard. do you know ware any videos of those rythms would be? id like to hear and see them. it could be cool.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    Hey, DD, don't panic...I moved your thread to PERCUSSION because it's a question that comes up often in both kit playing and hand drumming discussions.

While those Giovannis sound killer (I've played them at GC), playing them with sticks defeats the whole purpose of having them as hand drums.

Some people play bongos with sticks because the sound is sharper and louder (almost like playing Roto-Toms without the metallic ring). Like you, DD, I don't like the way they sound played with sticks.

Some do so because they can play cowbells, wind chimes, jam blocks and bongos without having to drop the sticks to get a riff in on the bongos. (Ironically, in authentic Latin bands, the bongo player will often drop the bongos to grab the cowbell--remember LP has a model called the "bongo" cowbell!)

IMHO, "beating the snot out of those bongos" with sticks is something I don't like because, as someone else mentioned elsewhere in the Drum Questions forum, there's a likelihood you could tear up the bearing edge of the bongo shells. And if you play sticks on bongos as hard as you would on your toms or timbales, you may end up breaking the bongo heads or, at the least, dent them as badly as you would when you hammer your toms.

If you like the way they sound, cool...but to me it defeats the purpose of having bongos with your set...you might as well buy mini-timbales or Roto-Toms if you want that kind of effect...or learn how to replace bongo heads. If I had to do it, I would use soft-headed mallets before sticks, but I prefer not to!
    HOLA COMO ESTAS BONGOBRO-DRAGON*CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMER(GATO) EXCELLENT FACTS Mi amigo DRAGON **GRACIAS

User Info Menu

I agree with B-Bro , I think beating the snot out of the drum with the sticks would damage the integrity of the head .

On the other hand , I have played the congas with a felt mallet , just not wailing the heck out of it .

User Info Menu

Here is an example of a rhythm where they do use one stick and one hand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TTiFxLHgfo
    ---- If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum. - chinese proverb

User Info Menu

Thanks, midgard...notice, too, that they weren't "beating the snot out of the drums" as drummerdavie noted in his original post. Think that was an African tribal rhythm they were demonstrating...in this case "Congo" meant the region from which the drumming came, not a misspelling of "conga" as in drums...

Good vid, and some legitimate points about sticks on hand drums, bro'! P.S., you are correct about the cascara being played on the head and on the shell, but that's more often done with timbales than with congas...

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

and thats a realy cool video midguard thank you

User Info Menu

Great feedback BB. I've never tried playing my hand drums with sticks or mallets, but primarily because I've got mini-timbales for that type of sound. They're made for sticks, whereas I know the bongos and congas really aren't.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

I Have To Use Sticks On Congas & Bongos Cuz Of The Nerve Entrapment In My Right Hand Too Bad The Roland "handsonic" Wont Stand Up To The Abuse,,,for Long Periods Of Time....it Has Everything Ive Wanted And More....but Roland Cant Guarantee The Duribikity,,,,thats A Bummer,,,,,
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

i do know that danny carey from tool uses sticks on his tablas cuz he changes from them to his kit alot, and it allows no time i guess to pick up the sticks--

but not being a handdrum player i have nothing else to add

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lildrummerboi View Post
    i do know that danny carey from tool uses sticks on his tablas cuz he changes from them to his kit alot, and it allows no time i guess to pick up the sticks--

Wasn't aware of Danny Carey playing tablas with sticks...seems to me it would be hard on the heads, however...

thanks for adding that bit of info, bro'...

Charlie

User Info Menu

would playing a bongo, conga, or djembe affect the head if u play with sticks?
    being a succesful musician has nothing to do with being signed, popular or making alot of money. It has to do with making great music.

User Info Menu

It depends, justinmill...if you read the very first post, drummerdavie noticed that a guy "beat the snot out of a pair of bongos" with marching sticks. If you've ever hammered a drumkit with sticks--or if you use big sticks--you're going to see scuff marks and possibly dents on the batter heads after a long period of use.

Same would be true with bongo or conga heads. IMHO, I think skin heads would be more heavily damaged than synthetic heads because the synthetics are more consistent in thickness than skins, which of course are natural products and have thicker and thinner spots here and there. Synthetics would be less sensitive to overtightening as well.

I have seen bongo heads that have had the snot beat out of them--and were broken--by kids clowning around with sticks. As I posted earlier, some drummers use sticks on bongos and congas for a special effect--softer mallets would do much the same thing without the damage--but to me, hand drums are to be played with the hands, not sticks...

Charlie

User Info Menu

yeh i agree they are to be played with hands, i just like doing rolls on my djembe, it sounds cool.
    being a succesful musician has nothing to do with being signed, popular or making alot of money. It has to do with making great music.

User Info Menu

what about "Bonzo" Bonham, from zepplin he plays his regular drum set with his hands, can anybody do that? difficult!!

if women don't find you handsome.
    they should atleast find you handy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lildrummerboi View Post

Not trying to be argumentative, but:
    Although Danny Carey does study tabla, when he plays tabla beats with Tool he's triggering the sounds with a mandala pad (a really nice trigger pad) using his normal sticks.
    Playing tabla drums with sticks would not only damage the heads in about 5 seconds, but there is no way to make the correct sounds with a stick; some of the tabla sounds are harmonics made by striking the edge of the head with one or two fingers while partially muting another part of the head with another finger.

On another note, if no one ever struck bongos with sticks we would have never heard the sound of Fred Flintstone taking off running!!!

User Info Menu

i can do it but not very well...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by peach_tx View Post
    ...On another note, if no one ever struck bongos with sticks we would have never heard the sound of Fred Flintstone taking off running!!!
    Actually, I think the "bongo feet" sound effect was hand-made--and actually sounds like someone playin' a fast martillo switching back from hembra to macho (large to small head)! BTW, that SFX dates back to the first Hanna-Barbera cartoon in 1957, "Ruff 'N Reddy!"

The other running sound effect they use a lot was devised by hands drumming on a leather couch (that sort of "flump-a-flump-a-flump" sound also heard on "The Flinstones.")

Nice to know a hand drummer helps us "ride with the family down the street through the courtesy of Fred's two feet."

Charlie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by begtimm561 View Post
    what about "Bonzo" Bonham, from zepplin he plays his regular drum set with his hands, can anybody do that? difficult!!
    i've done that, did an entire gig like that, and somehow i didnt break anything in my hand, but they wouldnt move the next day.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by begtimm561 View Post
    I think you will find that the right word here is played, not plays.

User Info Menu

You Go Bongo.....thxs For Sharin Da History Of Cartoon Sfxs,,,,,Im Sure Most Have No Clue.....way To"Play It Forward" Like You Do So Well.....THXS AGAIN....
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!