Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: practicing

User Info Menu

Default practicing

just curious ,when practicing how many people use a laptop computer ?

User Info Menu

Default Re: practicing

A lap top for what?

User Info Menu

yea a computer for what? all you need is your instrument
    DRUMMERBOCK

User Info Menu

I use one to learn songs that I have to play. I can take my laptop to where my drums are set up and plug in a set of headphones and play and practice to my assigned songs.

Of course I can do that with my mp3 player but I can't browse the internet and chat while practicing if I'm using my mp3 player.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I've seen a lot of pictures in the "Show me your Drums" thread with a laptop in the background. I think it's more common than some of us think.

User Info Menu

There you go Bish, that is the true meaning of multi tasking!

User Info Menu

I guess I'm way to much Old School...using a lap top would never occur to me. But, as Bish explains, I can see the usefulness of it.

User Info Menu

The only thing people would use a laptop for IMO would be to record a track on the spot or to listen to music while they play. I have an mp3 though, laptops are too expensive.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

I use a metronome on my PC that I downloaded for free somewhere. I can make it super loud.

User Info Menu

Here is a website for ya.

http://www.metronomeonline.com/
    Dave

Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi
    RIP my friend

Proud member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"

User Info Menu

Cool Re: practicing

Okay, that makes more sense...might actually be quite handy!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

The metronome and music on there would be helpful however browsing the net and chatting would be in my opinion to much distraction. My metronome are the songs on my Bbox.

User Info Menu

Out with the old in with the new peeps,
    I have an electronic set peeps and I plugs the ipod into the aux in and voila you are rocking to some pretty nice tunes, individual levels can be set for excellent sound quality and a mix just the way you like it, plus I am studying a dvd via the laptop, right beside the kit, no getting up and down and messin with remotes. makes for hours of fun practise, my chops have come up since I got the electronics. [ they needed to];
    I also plug the ipod in for background music in between sets on certain gigs. its killa.

User Info Menu

I've been bugging my hubby for a lap top but he's not budging :(

User Info Menu

The better I become at my rudiments then I may type with my sticks. Can anyone do that yet?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    The better I become at my rudiments then I may type with my sticks. Can anyone do that yet?
    That's about all I can do with my sticks.... That and itch my back

User Info Menu

The more frayed my sticks get, the better the back scratcher they become! LOL

I never thought about setting up the laptop where I could work on technique from a DVD. I'll have to consider finding room to do that. Thanks Aunster!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=pastor_bob;83035]The more frayed my sticks get, the better the back scratcher they become! LOL

You should try out mine. Since you mentioned the idea, I will test ride it on my dogs!!!

So, my sticks wood 2B very good back scratchers.

User Info Menu

I've seen some people use it but mainly for backing tracks and recording.

User Info Menu

Not me, that would be like playing on a practice pad. You don't get the same bounce off a laptop that you do off drum heads!

Besides, I'd always be hitting two keys at the same time!
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    Not me, that would be like playing on a practice pad. You don't get the same bounce off a laptop that you do off drum heads!

Besides, I'd always be hitting two keys at the same time!
    I used to use a PC to listen to tracks to practice to. I really haven't just practiced by myself in years though.

One idea I've had floating around is making some drum triggers with pads, pick-ups (pizzos?), and a PIC with RS-232 to a Dell Power PC with touch screen. I would set up something where a "square" could be touched on the screen to essentially change which sounds the pads actually produce (like presets). The software aspect would be cake for me, but I'd probably get caught up on the electronics.

If I only had the time and money!

Pete

User Info Menu

HOLA COMO ESTAS AUNKSTER *CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER(CAT) AND WELCOME TO THIS VERY COOL DRUM DHAT PLACE **WHERE their is ALOT OF VERY COOL CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMER(CATS) & (CATRESS) HERE ,AND all the DRUM CHAT MODERATORS Are very Cool OPEN-MINDED
    CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMERS*****YES I use the COMPUTER THE INTER-net For LEARNING DRUM PARTS & MANY other ARTISTIC ARTISTRY within this AMAZING (ENTERTAINMENT /MUSIC /MOVIE .DANCER/ARTIST BIZ) and it is THE WAVE of the FUTURE **VERY HELP FUL & saves ALOT OF TIME DRIVEING ***& I NET WORK My ARTISTRY FROM the COMPUTER **LIKE MANY DO ITS ALL GREAT &WHAT-EVER WORKS FOR THE CREATIVE ARTISTIC
    OPEN MINDED ARTIST IS ALL GREAT <within this VERY ANCIENT SPIRITUAL ANCIENT ART FORM**GRACIAS **

User Info Menu

I'm still trying to figure out this e-mail thing with my computer...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    The more frayed my sticks get, the better the back scratcher they become! LOL

I never thought about setting up the laptop where I could work on technique from a DVD. I'll have to consider finding room to do that. Thanks Aunster!
    If you have the right music stand it will lay flat like a table and that works perfect

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aunkster View Post
    If you have the right music stand it will lay flat like a table and that works perfect
    Thanks Aunkster, I'll borrow one from the church!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!