Thread: New to drums

User Info Menu

Default New to drums

Well i´m a 19 year student that lives in spain.
    I´ve bought myself my first drumset.its nothing too fancy its a jinbao.but i got all the basics...i think.I got a 20¨ride a 14¨crash and my charlie don´t know what size it is.I got myself a double-pedal to start off.I like any type of rock.

Now here is my questions that i hope you old dogs could show me

Now how do i tune my drums???i mean just keep tuning and banging until it sounds right??
    But my big problem is i set on the throne but...i just can´t get motived.The rythme just leaves me anyone with tips on how to start off???

User Info Menu

to tune theres a tuneing patern that a lot of drummers use called the "star" tuneing patern in which you start at one lug turn it 1/4 rotate then go to the opposite lug and repeat then go over one lug to the left or right then rotate the lug 1/4 a turn and so on.... you get the idea ...as for the motivation Drumbum has some motivational work that you can read.
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

Hi and welcome to the group!
    You may find these links helpful:

1. Drum Tuning
    2. Motivation

Also, check out DrumTips.com for thousands of helpful hints and tips.

User Info Menu

thanks for your response,its that i don´t know why but when i sit to play i forget everything.

User Info Menu

That's a good starting point... with an empty mind. Seriously.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MeditativeDrumming
    That's a good starting point... with an empty mind. Seriously.
    Very wise. I concur.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NoMeTokesLosPalos
    Well i´m a 19 year student that lives in spain.
    I´ve bought myself my first drumset.its nothing too fancy its a jinbao.but i got all the basics...i think.I got a 20¨ride a 14¨crash and my charlie don´t know what size it is.I got myself a double-pedal to start off.I like any type of rock.

Now here is my questions that i hope you old dogs could show me

Now how do i tune my drums???i mean just keep tuning and banging until it sounds right??
    But my big problem is i set on the throne but...i just can´t get motived.The rythme just leaves me anyone with tips on how to start off???
    sounds to me like it`s not a motivation problem .If you weren`t motivated you wouldn`t make it as far as the throne.It just that you`re new to it and don`t know what or how to play . Look around on the net for some snare rudiments to get you started .These are boring as hell to play but will set you on the right road to becoming a good percussionist . Also just pick a track you like and play it loud enough so you can hear it above the drums (i wear headphones) and just bash away .you`ll know within about 10 mins if drums are for you or not .It`s not like any other instrument because it`s so physical ..as we say in the UK knackering (said without the `k` ) .1 hour behind your kit can feel like 10 somtimes if you are playing heavy rock and you`re out of shape !!

just hang on in there and play !!!

as for tuning ...just do as you said just keep turning the lugs till you get a sound you like .tuning them is a very personal thing .no 2 drummers kits sound alike really .but make sure you have the same sound at every lug .Tap the head 2 inches from the lugs and make sure all the lugs sound the same .

dave
    Last edited by pinkfloyd; 10-12-2006 at 11:15 AM.

User Info Menu

meh

im gunna say get some lessons and learn music- itll teach you were to start- possibly where to go and will expand your options hugely

User Info Menu

Cool New to drums

Buenas noches, hermano...
    Good evening, 'bro! (And pardon my rusty Spanish...)

Drummer has some good links, as you may have already seen. If you have a friend who plays the drums, he or she may be able to help you get the set tuned so it'll sound its best...

As pinkfloyd says, if you didn't want to learn to play the drums, you wouldn't have bought the drums or be asking us for help. It's gonna be a little overwhelming at times, but take it one step at a time...learn the rudiments (the basics) and start from there.

What helped me was finding the kind of music I enjoyed best and playing along with it. If you like rock, play along with your favorite rock recordings. (I like Latin music and jazz, especially salsa and Cuban recordings, and that helped me relax and learn new rhythms.)

Y los perros viejos (como yo) estamos listos para asistirte...
    And the old dogs (like me) are ready to help you!

Mantenga el ritmo...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Well I would say that there's no particular way to tune your drums, you just tighten them to a point that sounds good to you. I prefer to keep all of my drums pretty looses, but my snare varries from tight to moderatley tight. Typically resonant heads, or the bottom heads are tuned tighter than that of the top head, unless you like them looser. So in conclusion, there really are no rules so experiment, have fun, and welcome to the forum where all questions are answered!!

User Info Menu

do some push-ups before playin that should get you stimulated, i sometimes do it the other way around, drumming will get my hyped up for push-ups
    Eskimos

User Info Menu

push ups? ...id be too tired to play

User Info Menu

I can never get too tired to play. I would be playing 24/7 if I didn't have job, a wife, and maybe someway to get rid of all my blisters on my hands.

User Info Menu

Try playing along to some CD you like. Thats how i learnt.