Thread: Remote Hi-hat

User Info Menu

Default Remote Hi-hat

I thougth I'd share with you something I consider a little unique.

The rhythm guitarist for my band bought my old kit and now plays drums for another (teenage) band.

We were discussing the merits of playing regular open handed, but decided that it would be too hard to switch over, and the only other way to play open handed would be to set up some hats on the right hand side, and use a remote pedal.

So, on Monday night when I went to check out their practice I was pleasantly surprised to see that he had done exactly that. He had rigged up a remote pedal to his hi-hat on his right hand side and was playing them open-handed but with his right hand, and using the pedal with his left foot as normal.

Has anyone else seen or done this?
    KiwiMapexDrummer - Mapex Mafia
    Mapex M Birch 6 piece in Transparent Honey Amber.
    Sabian, Temple Percussion Cymbals
    Paiste 2002 Hats.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Remote Hi-hat

I've seen a hi-hat set up on the right side, yes -- by a left-handed player. But not a righty playing with a remote. That's very different. Then again you Kiwi's do have your own way of doing things, don't you??
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

i have seen it done several times usually as an additional hat to "rid" on. i've also seen stationary hat riggs done this way for the same purpose. i would think that learning to play open handed would not be so difficult but i've seen this topic come up several times here. no matter still a very cool solution to the problem KMD.

User Info Menu

Yea it's pretty commonly used for a double hat setup.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

I ma thinking of doing that exact thing only the opposite so that my son can play my kit live. I am left handed and he plays right handed, i was thinking of doing the same and then he could use my right side of my double pedal and the remote pedal would be set up to the left of my right pedal. When I played the kit I could just lock the hats in the down position and use my regular high hat stand. I would be interested to see how he likes it after some time to see if it would be worth it for me to buy one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    I've seen a hi-hat set up on the right side, yes -- by a left-handed player. But not a righty playing with a remote. That's very different. Then again you Kiwi's do have your own way of doing things, don't you??
    We call it Kiwi Ingenuity, Norske

Quote Originally Posted by cdaug View Post
    i have seen it done several times usually as an additional hat to "rid" on. i've also seen stationary hat riggs done this way for the same purpose. i would think that learning to play open handed would not be so difficult but i've seen this topic come up several times here. no matter still a very cool solution to the problem KMD.
    At first we thought learning to play open handed would be fairly straight forward too - but then faced with the prospect of playing 16ths with the left on the snare not the right, then rolls starting with the left not the right all started to sound too hard.

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post
    Concur - plenty of drummers have a twin set up, and after seeing Jason Bittner playing his on the Modern Drummer Awards DVD, was one of the reasons we thought about setting up the hats on the right. Problem was of course not being able to use the pedal with the right foot, hence the remote.

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    I ma thinking of doing that exact thing only the opposite so that my son can play my kit live. I am left handed and he plays right handed, i was thinking of doing the same and then he could use my right side of my double pedal and the remote pedal would be set up to the left of my right pedal. When I played the kit I could just lock the hats in the down position and use my regular high hat stand. I would be interested to see how he likes it after some time to see if it would be worth it for me to buy one.
    Well it does look a little awkward at first, and playing 16ths is tricky. But the actual physicality of playing the hats on the right is the same as on the left, pretty much, just without the crossed arms.

His band is playing a battle of the bands type thing tomorrow night and that should be a telling point. I'll report back...
    Paiste 2002 Hats.

User Info Menu

I used to play with an auxiliary hat (fixed closed) a lot so I could play "open handed". That was also a massive kit and playing hard while playing cross armed was a bit tough, doable but tough.

I know playing open handed is a bit odd at first, but if you think back to when you were originally learning how to play then it's probably not any worse (at least its not for me). Just take the time on your own to learn how to play open handed. It'll open up a whole new dynamic to your playing if you can play both ways. Then you can add the remote hat on the right side for a dual set-up and go crazy with it.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

I wanna get one of these, and have my normal hats. Kind of for a metal thing. Perm. close hats, and then open ones. And also if I wanted loud hi-hats at some point lol. Double up on the hi hats xD
    My Set:
    5 Piece PDP FS series
    Joey Jordison Signature Snare
    Sabian B8 14", 18" Thin Crashes
    Sabian B8 16" Thin Crash Dented Edition
    Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hi-Hats
    Sabian B8 20" Ride
    Paiste Innovative 20" Heavy Ride
    Jhmeg2 Über Ride 20" Special Edition

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by quikstang2 View Post
    I used to play with an auxiliary hat (fixed closed) a lot so I could play "open handed". That was also a massive kit and playing hard while playing cross armed was a bit tough, doable but tough.

I know playing open handed is a bit odd at first, but if you think back to when you were originally learning how to play then it's probably not any worse (at least its not for me). Just take the time on your own to learn how to play open handed. It'll open up a whole new dynamic to your playing if you can play both ways. Then you can add the remote hat on the right side for a dual set-up and go crazy with it.
    Hey 'stang. How do you manage to kick my arse on two forums?

One day I might try conventional open handed - but I'm actually liking what Vinnie has done and will wait and see if anything negative comes out of it...
    Paiste 2002 Hats.

User Info Menu

That's cool man. I was just trying to give you and excuse to buy even more gear.

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiMapexDrummer View Post
    Hey 'stang. How do you manage to kick my arse on two forums?
    I don't get out much...
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

That's cool man. I was just trying to give you and excuse to buy even more gear.
    Thanks man...any chance of giving me the money instead?
    Paiste 2002 Hats.

User Info Menu

If I had the money, I'd have the extra gear we're talking about already! Hopefully I make out good this summer.

User Info Menu

I have got a fixed hi-hat (closed) to my right without a pedal. This is so I can play closed hi-hat with double kicks and also so I could play hi-hat grooves with my left hi-hat using my left foot. I think that applying the right pedal to it and trying to play hi-hat grooves and splashes etc open handed would be very difficult.
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post

Exactly. And while I see lots of pics on the forums of people using a double hat setup, I have yet to see one utilized by any band playing live in my area. Maybe it's used more by metal drummers? Cuz I don't listen to metal, but I have not seen any pop/funk/ska/indie/rock drummers around here using two hats on stage.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by livewire80 View Post
    I have got a fixed hi-hat (closed) to my right without a pedal. This is so I can play closed hi-hat with double kicks and also so I could play hi-hat grooves with my left hi-hat using my left foot. I think that applying the right pedal to it and trying to play hi-hat grooves and splashes etc open handed would be very difficult.
    I hear you LW 80. I also utilize an extra hat on my right, and I can either set the cymbals tightly closed or fully open, or use my auto-clutch and with the flick of my wrist close the hat from slightly open to just loosely closed... Four effects that can work very effectively without the use of a remote pedal. Not to say that I don't like the remote pedal accessory, just that I like my left foot old school hat better...that's it in a nutshell. My preferencial likes and dislikes.

My 'right hat' is only used sparingly on a couple of our songs. As with any other effects and/or nuances, several adjustments can be accessed by the bottom hat cymbal angle set screw and amount of top cymbal opening for your own desired effect. As with all things moot, it's the personal applicability that makes the difference. I like this little 1/2-stand hat accessory on the rack since there are no legs to clutter and/or get entangled with my two floor tom legs plus it came with the original used rack purchase, so I use it.

Compact racking like this I can use this kit in a relatively smaller area and it's a fast set-up/break down. It takes more time to rig and un-rig the cymbals than it does to break down the kit. My Gibraltar rack sets up in four sections, (top and bottom center sections, and two side sections), install cymbals and rack toms, slide the bass drum in and set up the double pedals, secure my left hat with folded legs to the side rack, set up floor toms, snare, seat, small clip-on fan, and done.

When packing up I just pull the four rack sections without removing or folding the cymbal arms and plop them into the back of my SUV.

Nothing moves, it's extremely stable and comfortable to play.

Last edited by Destroyer; 05-19-2008 at 06:48 PM.

User Info Menu

If I had the money, I'd have the extra gear we're talking about already! Hopefully I make out good this summer.
    Lovin' the GH2 avatar.
    TROOOGDORRR!
    jimbolimbo99 Mapex Mafia

Mapex M Birch
    Sabian AA and Paragons
    Zildjian A's
    Meinl Generation X
    Dream Lion
    Trick Pro-1V

My band

My Kit

User Info Menu

How's your hi-hat scheme working KMD?

Quote Originally Posted by jimbolimbo99 View Post
    Lovin' the GH2 avatar.
    TROOOGDORRR!
    Haha, thanks man!

User Info Menu

How's your hi-hat scheme working KMD?

Haha, thanks man!
    It's my rhythm guitarist who plays drums in another band, who has the remote hats - seems to be working OK.
    Paiste 2002 Hats.