Thread: head for a 16 inch bass drum

User Info Menu

Default head for a 16 inch bass drum

Hey everybody, hey I have a drum kit with a 16 inch bass drum and I need to replace the head. I replaced a while ago with just a regular Remo pinstripe, and it is not working for me its to dead sounding. I have been trying everything to get it to sound better but nothing is working. As you can tell they dont make bass drum heads for 16 inch bass drums. Anybody got any suggestions?????

User Info Menu

Default Re: head for a 16 inch bass drum

Is the 16 inch you mention the diameter or the depth of the drum? If it's the diameter, then you have nothing much more than a floor tom. I have that size of floor tom with the Remo pinstripe. Sounds plenty full and loud but, that's because I beat it with sticks. I don't think I'd get much out of it with a pedal. My bass drum is 16 inches in depth but 20" diameter. You might want to use a single ply head rather than the pinstripe.

User Info Menu

its 16 by 16 bass drum, yeah I know its small, but it gets the job done for me, thanks for the input.

User Info Menu

Wow...well, best of luck. I don't know how you'll get much punch and kick out that for a bass drum. My largerest floor to is a 16" x 18"

User Info Menu

well you never heard it before, all you have to do is get the right heads on there and you'll get a punch from it, and I have played many many gigs with it and you mic that sucker and it does sound nice.