Thread: My idea on proper way to hold a stick

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Default My idea on proper way to hold a stick

This is going to be the basic main idea that you want to have- so I will problably make more references to Snare drumming not so much as set.

1. you need to be mellow- quit grippin your stick like your going to lose it -if your that worried by a stick band that goes around the back of the stick and around your wrist
    - If you are doing 8th notes in FF form- when you bring your stick back up from a hit i should be able to knock thes stick out of your hand by putting my stick in the middle of your return- you need to be very tender to the sticks

2. use the natural form of your hand to hold the stick..if you lay your hand in a 100% relaxed position you will notice that your hand bends slightly - so your stick should be on the crease of your hand thats closest to your fingernail not the middle of your finger- i see alot of people make this mistake

3. theres alot of hubub about the "swedish" stick position "military" position the "German" position...dude...your a drummer..hold the stick at the position that it feels comforable--not too high and not too low

4. be mellow when you play- practice alot to get comfortable with what you are playing so that you sound better

last but not least... 5. use even sticks- if you tap 1 stick (with your fingernail) and then tap another they should both sound VERY CLOSE to identical if not identical- this comes out in the sound of your drumming...I would sugest Vic Firth...ive had alot of luck with them

Hope this helped
    feel free to critisize (technique or ...Speeling..)

Good Luck!
    Last edited by LucidDrummer212; 10-12-2006 at 10:49 AM.