Thread: Crank that snare man !!!

User Info Menu

Default Crank that snare man !!!

Hey all,

I have never tightened my snare batter too much.
    Mainly because a lot of what I had read had said that you didnt need to.

On the other hand I have struggled( just a little ) to find that beautiful snare sound that we all crave.......OK- yesterday I decided to go for it..........and ............MAN what a difference !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First .....I found 'THAT' sound.
    Second..... I found 'THAT' sound.

Third..... The difference in response and feel is incredible.

Fourth.......I actually CAN play ghost notes !

Fifth..... The sensitivity and reaction to accents is just plain dandy !!

Sixth - I found 'THAT' sound'

I should have done this a long time ago

Seventh - I get a little excited too easily hey !!!
    ' Up the Irons '

User Info Menu

Default Re: Crank that snare man !!!

Isn't it great when you find a breakthrough like that, good for you!

User Info Menu

Mines pretty cranked and sounds gooooood to me Wotto!
    jimbolimbo99 Mapex Mafia

Mapex M Birch
    Sabian AA and Paragons
    Zildjian A's
    Meinl Generation X
    Dream Lion
    Trick Pro-1V

My band

My Kit

User Info Menu

So you have it cranked all the way now? That's exactly what I did to find the sound I wanted, with the exception of playing around with the throwoff and reso of course.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Congrats, I was in the same boat for a while, I tried everything possible aside from tightening my snare to get that great sound, and finally I just tightened my snare almost as tight as I could get it and finally found "that" sound! I will probably never again play with a semi-loose reso snare head

User Info Menu

HOLA como estas WOTTO CREATIVE artistic artist DRUMMER (CAT) THATS FANTASTIC that your ARTISTIC CREATIVE MIND is HAPPY within your OWN UNIQUE STYLE (SOUND) AS the SNARE & all THE TAMBORES ARE
    & all unique within their TONES TEXTURED as A UNIT of ONE AMAZING
    SOUND As they BLEND together with & within all Your CYMBALS AS well **VERY COOL *as your A CREATIVE ARTIST DRUMMER *& WHAT eVER Works for THE DRUMMER ARTIST is ALL GREAT within their JOURNEYS **within this VERY ANCIENT SPIRITUAL ART FORM**

User Info Menu

Congrats on finding a good snare sound. My batter skin at the minute is practically begging me to stop hitting it and is threatening to rip itself apart, so it doesn't sound as good as I want it to; I'm assuming with your tightened head you're going for a crisp and warm sound, right?

PS GHOST NOTES ARE SO FUN
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Yeah - its great.

I should also say that I loosened the wires right back as well.

Man it is sweet !
    ' Up the Irons '

User Info Menu

I remember when I started doing that. It's a glorious sound.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wotto View Post
    Hey all,

First .....I found 'THAT' sound.
    Second..... I found 'THAT' sound.

Third..... The difference in response and feel is incredible.

I should have done this a long time ago
    I discovered this some time ago and it was a life changing experience for me (with regard to drums that is). I crank the reso head like there's no tomorrow and then you have much flexibilty with the top head.

If you want to add even more to that great sound, factor in the quality of the snare drum, the tone of the wood you're using, tuning as evenly as possible, and trusting your ears!

Congrats!!

User Info Menu

I have never had the snare tuned any other way.
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Crank that snare man !!!

Seems to me that a snare has to be cranked to get "that sound", more so than with any other drum...glad it worked for ya, mate! Plus if you have a metal-shell snare, you can almost get a timbale sound out of a cranked snare if you play it as a tom (snares thrown off)...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

i bet that 20 ply will split your skull cranked up like that.

ThePloughman Guest

Anything over 90 on your Drumdial, and youve a good chance of popping lugs. Thick shelled snaredrums...... the 20, 30, 40, 50 ply jobs with lugs using screw posts or screws that are into the wood and not through the shell......... well, yer going to pop lugs, screws, rip them straight out of the shell. Damage. Heavier heads require a lot more tension on the lugs to achieve the same dial reading as a coated single ply, thin single ply and some other heads, even some of the thinner two ply heads.

It would behoove you to keep all of that in mind while doing crank.

Crank is also something that needs quantifying..... just exactly how tight is it?

When it doesnt get the proper quantification......... then with certain yamaha noveau lugs, OCDP lugs, many custom builders lugs......you are going to have failures.

I was in GC last week, and a guy comes in with a 10 or 12" snare drum........ it was cranked so beyond reason that the top hoop had actually distorted enough it pulled down past the headrim. Theres just no excuse for that.
    Last edited by ThePloughman; 05-12-2008 at 10:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post
    Anything over 90 on your Drumdial, and youve a good chance of popping lugs. Thick shelled snaredrums...... the 20, 30, 40, 50 ply jobs with lugs using screw posts or screws that are into the wood and not through the shell......... well, yer going to pop lugs, screws, rip them straight out of the shell. Damage

Dont get me wrong .....it aint THAT cranked to the point where the lugs cant be tightened any further.

I guess if you scaled the tension from 1 - 10 - I used to have it at around say..... 5 - 6 .....wheras now it would be a 8 +

The difference surprised me immensley.
    ' Up the Irons '

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post
    I was in GC last week, and a guy comes in with a 10 or 12" snare drum........ it was cranked so beyond reason that the top hoop had actually distorted enough it pulled down past the headrim. Theres just no excuse for that.
    now thats just snare abuse man horible. but whats worse is he probably wanted his money back
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound