Thread: Losing a leg...

User Info Menu

Default Losing a leg...

I just wondered, does anyone think it is possible to convert a three legged hi hat stand into a two legged stand. I was just thinking about it cause im having problems sorting out my hi hat, snare and double kick in the same space. I have an old snare stand that is very awkward and dont wanna get a new one as i might get a new kit soon.

Alternatively, would it be better to have the hi hat pedal or left bass pedal nearer the bass drum. At the moment i have the hi hat as i like having it close to the snare. The double kick middle part does do over it but i can still play it. Some opinions on either matter would be appreciated.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Losing a leg...

My friend had a 2 legged hi hat stand. I vaguely remember how he set it up. He has passed away for some time now, but I remember his brother having trouble setting it up, but that is how it was.

User Info Menu

Normally I guess you would have the hi hat stand to the left of the left hand kick pedal if you are right handed. I think someone makes a hat stand that clamps on to the kick drum but I cant be 100% sure
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

I don't think you can convert an existing 3 legged stand but you can buy the 2 legged ones that work with a clamp. You can also get one where the base swivels. I have a Tama one like that and it keeps it out of the way of the double kick pedal.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I don't think you can convert an existing 3 legged stand but you can buy the 2 legged ones that work with a clamp. You can also get one where the base swivels. I have a Tama one like that and it keeps it out of the way of the double kick pedal.
    ooh this just reminded me that my Mapex stand legs swivel around nicely
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

Whoa, my heart just dropped, I thought you were going to tell us that you lost a leg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    ooh this just reminded me that my Mapex stand legs swivel around nicely
    I was about to say something to that effect, Dustin. Our Mapex hardware has swivel bases so you can rotate the legs to accommodate a double pedal arrangement.

Drummer is also correct about the two legged stands but they don't have to clamp to a bassdrum. Plus, bassdrum clamping is only usually necessary with a double bassdrum set up to assist in bringing the hats closer to your center.

You might look at your hat stand and see if it might in fact be able to swivel. A lot of them already do.

If not, might I recommend a sawzall and the leg of your choice?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Before they made two leggers, I took off the inside leg of my Tama stand, used it for many years, although it crashed umpteen times taking my snare with it. I would have to Gaff tape it to my high hat mic stand. I just bought a new Gibraltar two legged stand and it is the catsass.

User Info Menu

I got a two-leg Iron Cobra that I LOVE. I keep it to the left of the double bass. You could always buy a new stand and sell the old stand with your set when the time comes.

User Info Menu

Do you have double bass drums or a double bass pedal?

If you have two basses then just fold up the legs and grab a hi-hat to bass drum attachment clamp. Lots of companies make them. I used to have the Tama one, didn't like it though. I'm going for the Mapex AC906 this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterious Stan View Post
    I just wondered, does anyone think it is possible to convert a three legged hi hat stand into a two legged stand.
    Very possible, but not at all worth it.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

Shazane Guest

turn the hihat pedal so it's parallel to one of the legs, and put the left bass pedal right next to it, then slide one of the snare stand legs under the axle enough that they never collide.

Code:
       HH B S  B      
           \ /
       \ / ____   
        |00 |  0
    ascii diagram makes for poor visual aid........

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterious Stan View Post
    I just wondered, does anyone think it is possible to convert a three legged hi hat stand into a two legged stand.
    yes i did it with a hack saw. it was a pain took hours and the stand was unstable forever more. i ended up buyin a two leg stand anyway. so it wasnt worth the effort in the end.
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

I agree with all that has been said, i think you could certainly cut off a leg of a three leg stand but that puts the other two legs in a different position that a new two leg stand would provide. i think you would ruin a good three leg stand and you'll end up buying a new one anyway.