Thread: question here...

User Info Menu

Default question here...

can anyone help me with this
    the thing is, i wanna play along with another person (guitarist) but i dont really know how to play along. can someone tell me like when to use a syncopation and stuff like that?

User Info Menu

syncopation whats that? just feel the music listen to him play and experiment ..thats how i play ..dont get all defensive when they say it sounds like crap tho...most of the time their right if you dont belive me record a session useing a cheap Mp3 players recording function and place it about 15-20 feet from you and play with them ...you'll relize that the "perfect beat " youve built for the song isnt so perfect after all....
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

Syncopation is when something is accented in a different place than usual. Where a weaker beat then becomes a stronger beat. For example; instead of playing 2 and 4 backbeat, play the first snare hit on the 'and' of 2, and then the second one on beat 4.

User Info Menu

thanks ..i love new vocab for drums
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer
    Syncopation is when something is accented in a different place than usual. Where a weaker beat then becomes a stronger beat. For example; instead of playing 2 and 4 backbeat, play the first snare hit on the 'and' of 2, and then the second one on beat 4.
    Sound, or feel wise, the beat has a skip to it. When a little kid is skipping down the sidewalk, that's a syncopated beat.

User Info Menu

hmm...I have heard that before but the easier term to understand was variation..am I wrong?

User Info Menu

The word variation isn't specific enough. A variation could be anything but syncopation is specifically a "skip" in the beat, as Roaddebris puts it. Understanding the word syncopation is like trying to understand the word ironic. You usually have to experience it a bit before you truly get it.

User Info Menu

funny you said that.. I still dont understand the word ironic, my mom says its really hard to explain the meaning, so shes trying to find an example of ironicness (if thats a word... lol) so she can show me lol
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lezzledrummer
    ... so shes trying to find an example of ironicness (if thats a word... lol)
    irony

User Info Menu

lol...

okay...how about...a cop getting robbed. Ironic because usually the cop stops, but in this case he got robed...