Thread: Yamaha Recording custom

User Info Menu

Default Yamaha Recording custom

Anybody own or owned a recording custom kit ? What do you think ? I am looking for a birch kit and found an 80s recording custom kit . Online can't go see it so .....what do ya'll think ?
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Yamaha Recording custom

From what I can remember, the 80's recording custom (9000 series??) was a top end much respected eveybody wanted one kit of its time. Been around for years and is still being made. The likes of Steve Gadd used one i think.....
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

got a new one in about 82, in England its known as the 9000 recording custom the kit is flawless dude, sounds and looks great after all these years.
    brilliant in the studio too.good luck. If you like punchy attacking drums then you will not be sorry. what sizes are they? and what is the snare?

User Info Menu

Rock kit 12,13,15,16 14x8 and a 24" bass
    E Drums !! !

User Info Menu

and what colour? matching wood snare?
    nice sizes by the way, I got the 22 kick, the 24 will go boom.

User Info Menu

I have a friend who plays the recording customs and says they are oustanding! He's been playing Yamahas for about 20 years now. I personally own a set of Tour Customs (maple) and they're excellent drums. No complaints whatsoever. I plan on keeping them for a very long time.

I also own a Mapex M Birch kit though, and as you know Mapex quality, they're pretty hard to beat -- they sound awesome, fantastic quality, excellent choice of finishes, and great price!

So if you're shopping best bang for the buck (new), I would definitely recommend the M Birch, but I don't think you can go wrong with the Yamahas. Recording customs have a very strong reputation.

Wow, a 24-inch kick?? HUGE!!
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

if the price is good, and it is in good shape, then go for it. you couldnt ask for a better sounding kit. check out carter beauford, from the dave matthews band. he still plays old recording customs.

User Info Menu

so 2 slow did you get a set of these yet?
    [IMG][/IMG]

User Info Menu

no the kit i was looking at has a 24" bass and rock size toms i like the fusion sizes. You want to sell you kit ??
    E Drums !! !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2slow View Post
    no the kit i was looking at has a 24" bass and rock size toms i like the fusion sizes. You want to sell you kit ??
    Sorry bud , Im gonna keep em another 20 odd years then when I die I gonna will em to my nephew.
    Im sure you will find what you are after.

User Info Menu

I just purchased Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute (that's a pic of the set my avatar) and very impressed with them all around. I've played Recording Custom and plan to purchase a set for my studio in the near future. Tuned right, they are unbeatable in the studio and mic on stage as well. I would say go for it! The resale value (if you ever need to sell) is one of the best if not the best in it's class.

User Info Menu

well i have been looking hard at different kits and keep coming back to the YRCs I may throw "my" price at em and see what happens ! I really don't think I could go wrong and the only catch is buying sight and sound unseen . I'm sure they sound killer and as far as birch kits go from all i've seen and heard about them they ARE the bomb ! So with all that said while searching I found a killer deal on a new mapex saturn turn key kit all high end hardware any color with the sizes i like soooooo
    E Drums !! !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2slow View Post
    Anybody own or owned a recording custom kit ? What do you think ? I am looking for a birch kit and found an 80s recording custom kit . Online can't go see it so .....what do ya'll think ?
    I own a recording custom kit for a long time and must say it's the best sounding drum set i own out of 7 sets i have. Tune,tune,tune, is the important factor. Recording customs make the job easier in my opinion.

User Info Menu

i would say go for it, i bet that bass sounds great.

if women don't find you handsome.
    they should atleast find you handy.

User Info Menu

any older kits made of hardwood would be well worth gettting your mits on if the price is right

Recording customs over all brands would be a very high quality kit.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters