Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ta da natural finish

User Info Menu

Default ta da natural finish

so i took my tama rockstar snare took all the lugs, heads, snreing parts off, and peeled off the wrap, unfortunatly lost the badge too. removed the bit of glue let dry, stained the drum with a natural clear coat that protectively finished it but didnt give it a glossy surface that would deaden the sound. let dry second coat let dry all the way, put it back together, tuned. this drum looks mire beatuifull than any ive ever seen before, and it sounds even more beatutifull than the best tuneing ive ever herd. go figgure the wrap was deadining it. ill have some picks up in the morning, it is seriously sweet, now all i need for it is a transport bag for every gig i ever play from now on, and wood hoops.
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

Default Re: ta da natural finish

sounds good DD, Coke did the same thing recently. Its great that the sound came up for ya too as well as the looks
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

Heyy DD...I remember when you began your project. Sounds like it was well worth your time and effort. Congratulations, guy!!

User Info Menu

Very cool DD! Congrats on finding the sound that you want!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

ANY pics to share???

User Info Menu

thats it right this vary moment. its so nice. and it looks sweet.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

It's absolutely beautiful DD! You did a really oustanding job!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: ta da natural finish

Man, that's a professional-looking job! Sweet, DD!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

The snare looks beautiful!! Well done!
    Mapex Pro M Classic Plus
    Zildjian Armand Cymbals
    In the service of The King!

User Info Menu

You did a great job! Are there any faults in the wood? I know with guitars that they get painted if there are defects in the wood. Very nice!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bigdumbmoose51 View Post
    The snare looks beautiful!! Well done!
    Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    Man, that's a professional-looking job! Sweet, DD!
    Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    It's absolutely beautiful DD! You did a really oustanding job!
    thanks guys. now i just need to replace the hoops, and decide if i want to do this to all my drums.

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    You did a great job! Are there any faults in the wood? I know with guitars that they get painted if there are defects in the wood. Very nice!
    nope woods as nice as can be only fualy in it was put there by my drum key, but its hard to notice.

User Info Menu

that looks very nice DD, good for you
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

do it. that snare looks amazing

User Info Menu

hey thanks for all the comments guys. im vary proud of this snare and when i see it it makes me want to play alot. (witch i feel a good drumset should.) so i decided to do the whole set like this. i started with my secondary bass so i wont be out a drum. then im going to rotate from the biggest one to the smallest one or vice versa. but i pulled the wrap off the bass, i realy had to fight it because every inch had enugh glue on it that it looks like the shell has a lauqer bove the wood. its amazing that the shell sounds good with that much glue on it. ill keep you posted and ill have pics as i work though the drums.

User Info Menu

That's amazing.
    I remember you made a thread a while ago where you drew on your heads amazing patterns; do you still do that?
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

your snare looks great man. natural finish FTW!

User Info Menu

Snare is beautiful man!!!!!!

User Info Menu

well i did the entire kit, just finished a few min ago hear are some picks.

User Info Menu

HOLA COMO ESTAS DRUMMERDAVIE *CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST (CAT) YOUR PASSIONATE CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTISTRY
    REALLY SHOWS within your WOOD WORK ARTISTRY YOUR TAMBORES (CANS)(TRAPS)(SKINS) LOOK FANTASTIC (BEAUTIFUL Mi amigo GREAT WORK **
    GRACIAS

User Info Menu

looks absolutely amazing!

User Info Menu

Man, I agree! The kit looks amazing DD! Great job!

User Info Menu

thanks guys im realy proud of them. they took a ton of work but were so worth it.

User Info Menu

One very great looking kit you got there, looks spectacular how much of a sound difference did it make on the rest of the kit?
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Church Drummer View Post
    One very great looking kit you got there, looks spectacular how much of a sound difference did it make on the rest of the kit?
    it was only drastic on the 16 inch floor and the bass, they can sound with a ton more low end, but all of the toms tuned up more easly than they ever have before and sound a bit cleaner. that is to say there tone is less distorted, and they breath much better(dont heat up as easly or cool) witch helps too.

User Info Menu

Kit looks great, way to go!