Thread: Fast rolls!

User Info Menu

Default Fast rolls!

Spring rolls come to mind; they've always seemed pretty hasty.

Anyway, I've been practicing at getting my 32nds on my kit more fluid recently. They're easy enough on whatever I play them on (snare, cymbals, toms e.t.c) but when I start moving between two drums (in this case snare and first tom) I can't keep it up. Now, I've beaten the living daylight out of my snare skin (I'm waiting till I put a stick through it before replacing it because it was hilarious last time) and my sticks are pretty much destroyed, but I'm wondering if it's something to do with my technique. Timing's fine; I slow it down and measure it against my hi-hat and it's all fine, 4 beats on the snare for each 8th note, e.t.c., but it's just when I try to play it repeatedly it becomes mssy and a bt slpopy...

Strange that I can pull off 32nd note over the bar fills but can't make the simplest thing fluent.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Default Re: Fast rolls!

what tempo is it smooth at ? single sticking right?

User Info Menu

Single sticking, no idea what tempo (I don't use a metronome, I've got my body clock all wired up and accurate).

User Info Menu

Ethel, I have something of the same problem myself. I cxan play some patterns between snare and the hates but when I attempt to play to a different drum something seems to get in the way. I think it just may be the way that I am physically trying to play the pattern but am coming to the conclusion that it might be nothing more than just breaking away from has been comfortable for so long and trying to move in a different direction. From what you've described, I suspect you may be having the same problem as I've had. I can tell you, however, after some hard work on my part, I've been able to make the transition but I still feel the hesitancy.

1DrJoy Guest

Hi Ethel,
    Have you thought about changing your sticking from singles to doubles? This might make switching between the drums easier and take away the hesitancy that you are experiencing.

User Info Menu

With doubles I go even faster, and it's easier, especially between drums, but I prefer singles because when you get fast clean singles they sound more powerful and fluid. Plus I've pretty much always used singles when I'm moving around the kit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ethel_The_Frog View Post
    Spring rolls come to mind; they've always seemed pretty hasty.

Anyway, I've been practicing at getting my 32nds on my kit more fluid recently. They're easy enough on whatever I play them on (snare, cymbals, toms e.t.c) but when I start moving between two drums (in this case snare and first tom) I can't keep it up. Now, I've beaten the living daylight out of my snare skin (I'm waiting till I put a stick through it before replacing it because it was hilarious last time) and my sticks are pretty much destroyed, but I'm wondering if it's something to do with my technique. Timing's fine; I slow it down and measure it against my hi-hat and it's all fine, 4 beats on the snare for each 8th note, e.t.c., but it's just when I try to play it repeatedly it becomes mssy and a bt slpopy...

Strange that I can pull off 32nd note over the bar fills but can't make the simplest thing fluent.
    If your sticks are getting chewed from moveing around the kit there is probably something wrong technicly. Or it might be the way your toms are placed.

User Info Menu

Sticks are getting chewed up on the ride cymbal and hi hats more than anything. All the times I've broken them they've been on the bell of the ride.

User Info Menu

I watched a Jojo Mayer lesson explaining good ways to physically move about your set so that your timing and accuracy isn't messed with in the process. I have to find the video, but I'll post it.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

A bit late but thanks for this guys. Turns out the problem with my sticks getting chewed up was the ride cymbal had gotten stuck into the felts and wasn't free to react when I hit it with my sticks...it caused so much tension to be placed on them.
    And I've solved most of the problems around the kit. It's mainly to do with conviction and actually watching what I'm doing. Plus I raised the toms a little higher, so now I'm not hitting near the rims as much (I wasn't doing it a lot in the first place, it's just more accurate now).

User Info Menu

HEy ethel the frog,

hows kermitt?

32beats single stroke rolling.. at any tempo above 80bpm.. thats pretty damn fast.. i hope you got them still under control

im still trying to get double stroke 8ths at about 120bpm smooth.. my left appendage is really annoying me as it lags and slacks behind.. its so slow

i dream of getting 32nds

you rock dude!..

roon the kangaroo!

User Info Menu

Haha, thanks. I got the inspiration from watching this Chad Smith video on youtube. He's so flashy in it.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=LuibdktNlWQ

He pulls out some awesome rolls at around 1:09. Stuff I was trying to replicate was around 2:15. It's fast. Very fast.

User Info Menu

never seen chad before -
    that just made me happy
    thnx.

User Info Menu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_COMJRaCZw&NR=1

this is good inspiration

what is going on with the kick there in the main groove.. im hearing a 4Triplet beat? i would really like to break that down so that i can practice that.

User Info Menu

They're mucking about with a basic funk groove. The triplet stuff is either Ian Paice messing about with his double bass pedal or Chad Smith just showing off with his fast right foot. It's not part of the groove, they just add it for a bit of dynamic affect.

User Info Menu

I would say. Forget about speed. Go uber slow going from drum to drum. 1 e a ah (snare), 2 e a ah (st), etc concentrating on being fluid between them, sticking bouncing straight up and down with no wobbling, and making sure you are hitting the center of each drum perfectly. Do it really really slow and perfect for a while and you will be able to do it fast, later, without thinking about it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BEASTLY View Post
    I would say. Forget about speed. Go uber slow going from drum to drum. 1 e a ah (snare), 2 e a ah (st), etc concentrating on being fluid between them, sticking bouncing straight up and down with no wobbling, and making sure you are hitting the center of each drum perfectly. Do it really really slow and perfect for a while and you will be able to do it fast, later, without thinking about it.
    This does only get you so far though. Not to mention that I've already done it. I'm just trying to really push myself, because that way you go faster than fast :p

User Info Menu

hit the metronome. Start at 70. next day (or every couple of days or week increase it by 2) 72, next 74. next 76.. and sooo on.

Practice on each speed for atleast 1 hour on singles. 1 hour on doubles and push for that most hated the para diddle!

you may need to start of significant slower with your para diddles.

have fun
    When Everything is coming your way, Your in the wrong Lane!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HeistheLamb View Post
    hit the metronome. Start at 70. next day (or every couple of days or week increase it by 2) 72, next 74. next 76.. and sooo on.

Practice on each speed for atleast 1 hour on singles. 1 hour on doubles and push for that most hated the para diddle!

have fun
    I love paradiddles, and why increase by 2, you got something against odd numbers?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HeistheLamb View Post

have fun
    My speed at the minute is actually in order of fastness: paradiddles, doubles, singles. My singles can go as fast as my doubles, they're just more sloppier, but I have more movement with my singles. And I fly with paradiddles.

And I am very fast. :D

User Info Menu

Im a drummer whos been playing for about 5 months and i can hit 32nd notes at about 120bpm on the snare drum but i can't move it round the kit... any ideas?
    crazydrummer: Metal sounds like someone is rampaging through a pig pen with a machine gun....

Shazane: They are firing that machine gun at a perfect 380 BPM in 7/8, while the agonized screams of the pigs are flawlessly harmonizing arpeggios at 20 notes per second.

MetalManMonkey:

User Info Menu

yeh slow down and try it, then build it back up.
    aslo practise triplets around the kit .... start slow.

dont forget, accents