Thread: Ring in Cymbals

User Info Menu

Exclamation Ring in Cymbals

I have a crash that, after it stops resonating, will be followed by a very high pitch ringing. It's very annoying. Does anyone else have this happen? Is it just a bad cymbal or is there anything I can do.
    Drummer Chicks Rule

User Info Menu

My ride does that but i just put duck tape on it and its fine now, i dont know if it will work so good with a crash may take some of that crash.. sound out of it, but u can always try

User Info Menu

yeah... mine does that too, i've just ignored it .
    Whats that duct tape thing? does it affect it when you hit it?

User Info Menu

depends where you put it...

I tried the duct tape thing out...best thing to do is trash it (or take it back) and move on...at least in my case...hopefully you will find a cheaper alternative

User Info Menu

I don't know if I could take it back but because it's been awhile since I bought it. I guess I'll try to sell it and buy a new one.
    Drummer Chicks Rule

User Info Menu

from what I know about your situation.. it sounds like the best move

User Info Menu

Yeah it happens. A good way to prevent this is (as it always is) Duct Tape. However too much tape takes the resonance out of the cymbal.

User Info Menu

oh yea..something i just thought of too..be aware of how your studio, bedroom, etc. (wherever ur drums are) be sure of how the walls and objects in that room react to sound..this may play a little part in it in some cases

User Info Menu

yeah, Lucid is right...i have just noticed that my 17" A Custom crash rings like hell in my basement.....and it never did before...but, i just moved recently, so this is a new basement, lol...but yeah, the room you are playing in has a pretty big effect on your sound.
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

like a gym!! you get lots of ringing!....but your bedroom w/ shag carpeting you hardly get any
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

yeah in my room it`s tiny echoy and has no carpet so they ring a lot btw mike i listened to the song u sent me finally yeah now i`m at work oh and i worked whoo to a 20 but it was really good and i immediately wrote down the drum part i should burn it to a cd soon anyway
    Oh tell me where your freedom lies
    The street are fields that never die.
    Deliver me from reasons why
    You`d rather cry
    I`d rather fly.