Thread: double bass help

User Info Menu

Default double bass help

Okay, for those of you very keen to double bass help me out!

I currently own a pair of Axis A longboards. They rule! but I'm having trouble deciding on a technique. I usually use heel up for speed purposes but have only slight control over them.
    then I come to heel-toe, which I have very good control over and my feet don't really get that tired from it. the speed is just a little slower than the heel up though.

which should i use?
    I know that if I practice heel-toe more that I'll get better. and be like Virgil Donati, Thomas Lang, or others.

But if i stick to heel up than I know I'll be able to do pretty cool things too.
    Ostinato is the way to go!

User Info Menu

Default Re: double bass help

I always play my DP with heel up method...
    Why ??
    Because with heel up you can gain more control and your muscle will get more loose....

If it's a stamina issue, Try to raise it....
    You can't get a faster speed with Heel-Toe method if you compare with double pedals....
    Besides, the benefit using DP that you cannot do with Heel-Toe is Rudiments in bass drums....It's useful sometimes....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BA4Sq0mqU-k
    Not really into DB but found this video a while ago. He talks about different methods of playing. Could be quite useful.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Kollias is really good but he's a master at heel up, heel down, heel toe, swivel foot and other techniques.
    and you can get very fast with heel toe if you try hard enough.
    Ostinato is the way to go!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    Kollias is really good but he's a master at heel up, heel down, heel toe, swivel foot and other techniques.
    and you can get very fast with heel toe if you try hard enough.
    Whenever I try heel / toe at the pedal - I SUCK !! However I can heel toe EASY on the floor !! Obviously I have a technique issue to overcome- just not sure what.

So for now I am heel up at all DB speeds.
    ' Up the Irons '

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wotto View Post
    Whenever I try heel / toe at the pedal - I SUCK !! However I can heel toe EASY on the floor !! Obviously I have a technique issue to overcome- just not sure what.

So for now I am heel up at all DB speeds.
    HOLA Como Estas*WOTTO CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST
    (CAT) WOTTO ITS NOT THAT you SUCK... WOTTO* your *FOOT TECHNIQUES ARE A LIFE TIME TO MASTER *ONCE You FIND within your OWN UNIQUE CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTISTRY THE right TECHNIQUES THEN THIS WILL BE A VERY SMOOTH CONTROLED (TECHNIQUE FOR your OWN UNIQUE CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTISTRY **IT just TAKES ALOT OF WORK within your PASSION
    within this VERY ANCIENT SPIRITUAL ANCIENT ART FORM **THE PYRAMIDS
    THE GREAT WALL OF CHINA & all FANTSTIC ANCIENT STRUCTURES WERE NOT BUILT over NIGHT GIVE your self SOME SERIOUS TIME * WHAT EVER WORKS for the CREATIVE aRTISTIC OPEN MINDED CREATIVE DRUMMER ARTIST is ALL GREAT Within their Own UNIQUE CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTISTRY *JOURNEYS)GRACIAS
    Last edited by STICKSWIZZARDDRAGON; 05-20-2008 at 03:25 AM.

User Info Menu

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DaMAHphUTnk
    There you go. I play very similar to this. I used to be a heel down player, then learned heel up and slowly ended up somewhere in the middle. I've got the same pedals as you (two single pedals, right?). I never bothered with the swivel foot. I did start learning the double stroke stuff (so called "heel-toe" method) but it's just for fun because my singles are faster and take less thinking. If you're going for speed or long playing then you're going to have to build muscle, endurance, reaction timing, speed... and maintain it. So whatever method(s) you choose, play them a lot and play them fast. I'd suggest learning as many as you can. You never know what you'll like best.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47