Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ughhh IMPROV!

User Info Menu

Default ughhh IMPROV!

okay so ive been playing a while but i still can't improvise at anything! i keep having to see people drum first and then copy. This really limits me to what i can do for fills and solos. Everyone has been saying just wing itor go for it or loosen up but believe me, so far whenver i've done anythig close to that it does NOT sound good. So what do i do?

User Info Menu

well first of all...your a cloner...which isnt a bad thing..but the reason why drummers listen to other drummers - is to get IDEAS...you need to make your own music

see...music is like a language
    -someone teaches you words (rudiments, songs, etc.)
    -but you need to make your own sentences

for example..if i were to teach u the paradiddle and used my snare a floor tom- you would need to master the rudiment...try it on the floor tom and snare and then mix it up to you see fit

now once you know the "words", creating the sentences arent that hard-- if you pay close attention to what other drummers do you can see when they are called apon for a fill or for a change in backbeat...usually when im listening to a song i can feel when the drummer is going to fill or do a changeup

Hope this helped!
    feel free to IM me for more info
    Good Luck!

User Info Menu

#1 rule : Have Fun.
    Randomly play along with any music or drum machine or metronome... definitely don't worry about if it sounds good or not. Record yourself doing this. Listen. Record again. Listen.... you might find that some of the stuff you have been copying is coming out of you but in a new way... YOUR way.

User Info Menu

i try to find ideas in places you wouldnt expect and branch off of them

for example i made my own drum beats from the theme song of the cartoon "ren & stimpy" and if i broke it down i had a few different fills that could use with other things i play, i think that you should try it
    Last edited by Metal-head; 10-14-2006 at 11:54 AM.
    Eskimos

User Info Menu

Maybe you should think about getting a teacher to give you lessons so you can learn excersizes and rudiments that will help you.
    And by the way luciddrummer, that thing that you said about that words and stuf is soo cool.. lol
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

Default excellent

yay, good i'll try these out, the words sentences thing sounds awesome especially, yeah, i know the rudiments but my arms just can't branch out to the drums yet.
    Thanks a bunch, i'll try it out

User Info Menu

lol
    well...I kinda thought of it while watching my teacher play..I had a set for two years before coming to him and I was like "f*ck this...this is gay.." and then I realized...everything that he had to teach me would develope my "language" instead of my just copying what other people do

glad it helped

and on another note...it doesnt take just rudiments...im talking about ALL playing developes your vocabulary and then you do what you wanna do with it

drumming is about knowing the "vocab" 1st...then being comfortable to make your own sentences...and when you become pro- you basically make poetry with other people who speak another language

User Info Menu

Lightbulb ugghhhh IMPROV!

Hey, Lucid, I couldn't have said that any better. When you started talking, you didn't speak in full intelligent sentences--you started out with bits and pieces of sounds..."ma-ma," "da-da," etc...then you learned to put them together into words and phrases and sentences.

Same is true with the rudiments. They sound "gay" at first, but once you get them mastered, then you go from there, drummer_girl...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

well thank you

and to further my lessons (now that you guys understood my crazy analogies)

sometimes its best to keep the sentence simple..and other times you can show off your intelegence..

look at the difference between sandy genero (meat and potatoes- simplistic player) and Chad Smith (does alot of ghosting- has alot of spice to his playing) both people VERY successful...play same types of music..in a different way

its all about what you need for your peice of work and what your style is...

User Info Menu

One thing that sets drum solo's apart from other instrumental solo's is that they are usually done solo, while guitarists for example usually have accompanyment. This being the case, the drummer has to keep some kind of a groove going so the audience can make sence of what is being played. It can be as simple as steady 8ths on the kick or 16ths on the hat, but if there is no groove at all most people won't be able to follow what you are trying to say to them. However, a really trick sounding groove sounds cool without a lot of filler. Either way, if folks can't bob their heads to it, you've probably lost them.
    Last edited by Roaddebris; 10-16-2006 at 11:29 AM.

User Info Menu

yea...its still possible for other instruments and set the scene for your solo tho..the guitarist usually plays a set for your solo and possibly lower the level of how they play

great thing about music, you are set free and can do whatever you want.. its expression and art like anything else.

User Info Menu

Sure, but most mucisians want their audience to be able to get into their music. If you're getting so far out there that your average listener can't understand what you're playing they'll probably just walk away. Playing what ever you want at home can be enjoyable, on stage it can come across as self-indulgent. Having a good hook to fall back on is very useful in a solo. You can go pretty far out there as long as you keep touching base with your hook, you can reel 'em back in when they start to get that glazed over look.

User Info Menu

I agree...but your talkin about showing off skills..

kim talking about colective playing...jammin with your buddies (not many/no spectators)..Soul playing..doin what you wanna do and expressin yourself..your talking about trying to impress a crowd or keep the audience in the stands

User Info Menu

Free form improvisation.... with other musicians... what an incredible feeling! That's what you should do drummer girl... find musicians who want to improvise with no set rules... music will then turn into communication. That's how I learned to play.

User Info Menu

yea..it is a great feeling... you gotta be good with timing...but you feel so good when you get it down without preperation
    LucidDrummer212, Taking over the drumchat forums 1 post at a time...

myspace.com/rdsspike345

User Info Menu

Drum circles Man, drum circles. Pure improv at its best!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

mmmyyyeaaaa...i mean...i dunnoo...drum circles for me was more use of bongos..idk why i think that way..i just prefer bongos in the circle MAYE a few snares...but not a set..call me crazy

myspace.com/rdsspike345

User Info Menu

Cool ughhh IMPROV!

Lucid...bongos are easier to haul to a circle (rimshot on bongos goes here)...couldn't resist!

Roaddebris, you got it right on improv. Your "hook" is a springboard from which you take off, and the landing strip to which you return...if you don't return smoothly, you're gonna crash.

Jammin' with someone else, whether it's in a drum circle or with a couple of your buddies--not necessarily other drummers--helps you build your improv skills. And one of the big things to remember about jammin' is that you have to listen as much as you play...maybe more so, since what you do is influenced by what others are playin', and in turn, what you play will inspire somebody else.

Some of my best playin' came when I jammed with one or two buddies (sort of a mini-drum circle)...and I think not only I sharpened my chops, we communicated without talkin'...like you said, Lucid, that's soul playin'...and I think we became closer "brothers" as a result...awesome, man...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

yea it easier..but im saying the sound and combonations are better for multiple players..drum sets i feel like 3 is good and for a CIRCLE u could have 10 bongo players (good teamwork)

myspace.com/rdsspike345

User Info Menu

I mostly play my djembe when I'm in a drum circle. Usually 6+ players and everybody has their own style of playing. It's great improving in that kind of situation because you feed off of each others energy and really brings out your soul.
    Da' Bum
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

I've always thought it would fun to go to a drum circle event, but I just can't see myself in a baret and berkenstocks. j/k

User Info Menu

lolol..hey man..put on your grateful dead tie dye shirt and grab a drum and go..its that easy and fun

myspace.com/rdsspike345

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddebris
    I've always thought it would fun to go to a drum circle event, but I just can't see myself in a baret and berkenstocks. j/k
    OOoouuuuuccchhhh!!!! That's cold!

I've never worn a beret or Berkenstocks. Unfortunatly, those are the fashion accesories of choice of most of the hippy drummers around here. Well, those, dreadlocks and flies!
    Da' Bum
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1DrumBum
    OOoouuuuuccchhhh!!!! That's cold!

I've never worn a beret or Berkenstocks. Unfortunatly, those are the fashion accesories of choice of most of the hippy drummers around here. Well, those, dreadlocks and flies!

ALL LIES!!! hahah

myspace.com/rdsspike345

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddebris
    That's funny.

Seriously though...I've never seen that look at a circle. The hippy thing? Sure have, as well as "Rennies".

Drum circles can be fun, it depends on the crowd, and at what time they start playing.