Thread: Speed King adjustment

User Info Menu

Default Speed King adjustment

I just purchased a Ludwig "Speed King". It's brand new in the box but it came without instructions. How do I adjust the internal springs. I used to have one of these pedals when I was a kid but I can't remember with way to turn the screw caps.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Speed King adjustment

The bottom of the base as I recall. Clockwise to tighten and visa versa. I didn't know you coud still get the Speedkings.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the help. Yes, you can still find them on the internet. I tried several music stores in my area without luck. I own several pedals (DW, TAMA, and Yamaha). I decided to go back to my younger years when the only pedals that stood out from the crowd were made by Ludwig, Rogers, and Slingerland. It was hard at first getting used to the action of the pedal but once I slowed down and focused on my foot action I am now able to knock out quick doubles. The pedal response is totally amazing!!! Now it's time to work on the heel / toe method.
    Again, Thanks for the help and keep on rocking!!!!!!!!!!!!!

User Info Menu

had one of those when i was a kid too. great pedals with those compression springs. trick has a compression spring pedal that is soo fine. chk it:

anyone want to buy me one just pm me and i'll send u my shipping info lol!

User Info Menu

Re: Speed King adjustment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

had one of those when i was a kid too. great pedals with those compression springs. trick has a compression spring pedal that is soo fine. chk it:

__________________________________________________ _________________________

This is the new Ludwig Speed King? I had heard that it was reissued but I had not yet seen one. If this is the Speed king...whoosh, that looks fantastic and I'll bet the action is smooth and fast.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    The bottom of the base as I recall. Clockwise to tighten and visa versa. I didn't know you coud still get the Speedkings.
    HOLA COMO ESTS DRUMMER (TOM) CREATIVE aRTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST (CAT) THAT IS A FACT *EXCELLENT INFO **GRACIAS

User Info Menu

If I knew where mine was I'd go check it out for you. From what I remember, drummer has it right.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

I was going to say I just retired my Speed King pedal ,until I went to look at it and realized its an old Gretsch floating action pedal , has the leather strap connecting the beater and pedal...............lol

User Info Menu

I adjusted the set screws so they are all most flush with the bottom and the pedal performs beyond what I though it would. For the past year I have been playing a DW 9000 with the spring as tight as you can get it. I guess that was a good conditioning drill for my foot. Last night I adjusted my Speed King to where the springs are loose and I was knocking out beats I never thought I could do. As I started to play to the classic " Take Five" I noticed I could throw in some quick doubles and triples without effort. I when played to my Zep favorite song "Kasmir" and not only was I able to keep up with the song but I was able to throw in some really quick bass drum licks. I guess going back to the first real pedal I ever played with is a good thing. I got the Speed King for a fraction of the cost of the DW. I can now play faster, and more accurate with less effort. The direct drive pedal is now my pedal of choice. Try it, you might be amazed!!!

User Info Menu

Drummer is correct, bottom of the pedal on either side. If I remember correctly there is a screw off cover on either side and you can adjust each compression screw either stiffer or loosen them and replace the screw-in covers. It has been a lot of years since I have seen one, but I think memory will serve me correct.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=fiacovaz;85552]Re: Speed King adjustment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

__________________________________________________ _________________________

This is the new Ludwig Speed King? I had heard that it was reissued but I had not yet seen one. If this is the Speed king...whoosh, that looks fantastic and I'll bet the action is smooth and fast.[/QUOTE

this pedal is made by a company called TRICK. the compression spring concept is the same as the speed kings, only with one spring instead of two. sorry for the confusion.