Thread: advice

User Info Menu

Default advice

hey guys, my new set has no tom mount on the bass (which i like) i wanted some input on weather i should get a small rack, or some sturdy DW cb900 cymbal stands to hold my new toms.
    Yea thats right, you wish you where me.

ThePloughman Guest

Default Re: advice

I would suggest you find a store with a rack set up, and try it out. Myself, for the two sets I have with virgin bass drums, I use stands.
    I personally think set up is quicker, and I like the look better. And its much more versatile for me, being somewhat of a collector in vintage drums. Stands, I can share rather easily between setups. A rack wouldnt share so easily. At least for me. You have to decide what is personally best for you.
    I have an Ayotte custom with a 22" BD, 10x12 rack, 16x16 floor. I also use a 14x14 floor with this set up. My 12" is hanging on the pin of a DW 9000 series Tom/Cymbal stand to the left of the Bass drum with the Tom just left of center. My Ride Cymbal is in the traditional 4 piece location. It is mounted on a DW 9000 series double cymbal stand, shared with an 18" China. I have a crash boomed above the ride in the space between the ride and the china.
    Cost wise, a DW double tom/cymbal combo stand and a double cymbal stand will be around 350-400 dollars.
    What you have to determine is what works best for you, vrs. cost, and the usefullness of either type set up with your playing style.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    hey guys, my new set has no tom mount on the bass (which i like) i wanted some input on weather i should get a small rack, or some sturdy DW cb900 cymbal stands to hold my new toms.
    They have mounting kits. You can always add it on.

User Info Menu

I like mine to hang off cymbal stands.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

I would prefer cymbal stands myself.

User Info Menu

Cymbal stand with tom mount for sure. Why drill up a virgin bass drum?

the best...