Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What drum pedal would YOU buy today?

User Info Menu

Cool What drum pedal would YOU buy today?

This is the question you'd never thought you'd hear from the bongobro!

Seriously, the pedal on my five-piece kit is shot (single bass, so for now at least I'm not lookin' for a double-bass pedal...sorry to disappoint you!), but I want to get a good single pedal!

I've heard good things about Iron Cobras, dw9000s, the usual drum-pedal suspects...so if you were buying a new drum pedal today, what would you recommend? I don't play my bass as hard as I do my bongos (at least not yet), but I want a killer drum pedal that won't kill my budget!

Have at it, dudes and ladies!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Default Re: What drum pedal would YOU buy today?

Any old pedal will do. Anyone with a bit of mechanical sense can tell that they are all basically the same. A hinged contraption with a retractable spring on the side. The rest, like cars, is clever marketing. Having said all that...I love Ludwig Speed Kings and Gretsch floating action!!!

all te best...

User Info Menu

Like I explained in my latest review, the Eliminators take all as far as I'm concerned, at least from my perspective with my playing style.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

HBdrummer Guest

I have to agree with 32nd... Pearl Eliminator belt drive (single) smoothest, fastest and most adjustable pedal I have EVER owned.

User Info Menu

Bongo... a single chain action pedal would be good for your purposes...DW5000, Ludwig... The Pearls and Cobras are more high tech than you may want. You can find some pretty decent pedals for under $100. If you can, you should find several models at a music store and try them. Ask questions about what each can do and what separates one from the other.

User Info Menu

i have a pulse pro single, it's an excellent pedal and its only 40 bucks. it's very sturdy and doesn't disappoint. a cool pedal i'd like to have though is the gibraltar catapult linear motion single pedal, it's not a normal pedal design and it looks awesome. it also seems like it has less parts that might break since it's so simple. heres a link.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...Bag?sku=448995

isn't it awesome?
    Yea thats right, you wish you where me.

User Info Menu

I have an Cobra power glide (double chain drive) which I really like. Smooth and solid and I got it for around $60 on eBay. But I've replaced it with an Eliminator double. I found the footboard a little longer on the Pearl to accommodate more heel toe playing and, like HBdrummer said, it's the most adjustable pedal I've owned. I test drove the Axis longboards in the store but it felt a little weird to me, kinda 'spongy' for lack of a better word. I also stomped on one of those Catapults that Aaron mentioned, but I don't remember what the action was like. My 2 cents anyway...

User Info Menu

Well, I can't stand the DW or Pearl Elims... The power glide double chain IC is a nice pedal. However, if I were going to buy one it would have to be a direct drive pedal. I've already got two Axis A longboards, which I recommend, but I'd go with the Axis X, the lower Trick pedal or most likely the Gibraltar Intruder direct drive.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OLA como estas' BONGOBRO*DRAGON* CREATIVE ARTISTIC *DRUMMER ARTIST * & MI AMIGO
    I have been A **(PRO)** My WHOLE LIFE & **************
    I use IRON COBRA DOUBLE HP900PTW POWER GLIDE & IRON COBRA DOUBLE
    HP900RSW ROLLING GLIDE & PEARL ELIMINATOR DOUBLE * I love My TAMAS
    THE MOST ,the TAMA ARE FOR me- SO VERY SMOOTH & FANTASTIC HOT FAST ACTION* The PEARL Eliminator IS VERY HOT TOO.In all My Years of PERFORMING I have used MANY MANY PEDALS they have all been good *
    MY SPEED KING *Gretsch Floating Action,My siv-O-Matic. MY GHOST My DW
    7000 DOUBLE *BUT I PERFER MY TAMAS IRON -COBRAS* *GRACIAS **
    WHAT ever works for THE ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMER IS ALL GREAT**
    &BB*DRAGON * JUST TRY them ALL******ITS ALL GREAT Mi AMIGO**
    AND WHAT EVER WORKS FOR THE CREATIVE OPEN MINDED DRUMMER ARTIST IS ALL
    GREAT Within THEIR OWN UNIQUE STYLE(ARTISTRY *) AND THEIR JORNEYS WITHIN THIS VERY ANCIENT SPIRITUAL ANCIENT ART FORM**GRACIAS
    Last edited by STICKSWIZZARDDRAGON; 05-21-2008 at 10:02 PM.

User Info Menu

Hey Bruarm, welcome to Drum Chat!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I have a Iron Cobra power glide pedal, which I really like and recommend, as I am sure everybody else has suggested, I would recommend Pearl powershifter eliminator, or DW 9000 series.

HBdrummer Guest

Welcome worshipguy!! love your moniker! -HB

User Info Menu

The DW 9000 are really nice pedal although they are not cheap!

User Info Menu

I would go the Tama powerglide
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

ThePloughman Guest

I bought my first Iron Cobra....... a powerglide, in 1999. Since then I have owned two doubles, (just did not like them) A rolling glide first generation single, (best pedal ive ever had), A rolling glide IC single, (still have an use mostly), and a second Powerglide.

Currently I use a Powerglide, and a Rolling glide. And there is a slight difference in feel between them.

If I was buying a new pedal, it would be a Rolling Glide, and my hat stands are both Iron Cobra HH905 Lever Glide.

User Info Menu

to answer the question as it was asked....i would buy the Trick pro-V today. however, they are very expensive and maybe more technology than you need. i have to give props to DW5000s. i have had the same dbl pedal since 1992 and all that has broke was one master link on the chain.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    to answer the question as it was asked....i would buy the Trick pro-V today. however, they are very expensive and maybe more technology than you need. i have to give props to DW5000s. i have had the same dbl pedal since 1992 and all that has broke was one master link on the chain.
    agreed...if i could buy any single pedal right now....it would be the Trick single compression spring. sweet looking pedal and i have always favored the compression springs since owning a speed king.

User Info Menu

Hey BB! I know you'll spend most of your time slappin' the skins, so I don't think you need to go all out. A mid level Pearl, Tama, or DW5000 pedal will do just fine. Watch Ebay or Craigslist and you should be able to get one pretty cheap.

As far as what pedal would I buy today? None. I'm more than happy with my double Eliminator's, so no need for me to buy one. I could always use another cymbal though...
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

ive been using dw 7000 series pedals
    they are believe it or not the next notch down from the 5000s
    i like them but my holy grail is the 9000 double pedal
    and that will be the next purchase =]
    "I mean honestly... I don't understand how "boom-click-boom-click-boom-click"evades a drummer...." ~ Kryshah

Gretsch Catalina Club Mod
    Sabian cymbals:
    18 in. AAXplosion crash
    21 in. AA raw bell ride
    16 in. Vault crash
    14 in. AAX stage hats
    Paiste:10 in. metal splash
    Zildjian:zil-bel
    DW 7000 double pedals
    PDP hardware
    EMAD!!!

User Info Menu

the trick pro v is the best. i have the long boards and they are sooo smooth. i also have the ic power glide. a very good pedal at a good price. the trick takes it.

User Info Menu

I own an Axis, DW 7000, Sonor 400, Iron Cobra Powerglide and had a Speedking years ago. My favorite so far is the Iron Cobra as alot of the posters here also stated for good reason. I still love diect drive pedals such as the Axis and the Speedking. I use the Axis on my electronic kit. Very sensitive and they react to everything your foot does, but the trade off is if want to get more volume out of your bass drum, you have to work it a little harder. That may be a non issue though. If money is not an issue, Trick pedals are awesome. Try em' all out. Hope you find what your looking for.
    Last edited by jrock; 05-23-2008 at 02:20 PM.
    Sonor, Zildjian, Remo, DW and Vater

User Info Menu

I'd get a PDP boa.
    but I own a Trick Pro 1-v

abit expensive though...
    jimbolimbo99 Mapex Mafia

Mapex M Birch
    Sabian AA and Paragons
    Zildjian A's
    Meinl Generation X
    Dream Lion
    Trick Pro-1V

My band

My Kit

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jimbolimbo99 View Post
    I'd get a PDP boa.
    but I own a Trick Pro 1-v

abit expensive though...
    i'm waiting to try the boa.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Hey Bruarm, welcome to Drum Chat!
    Thanks!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: What drum pedal would YOU buy today?

yer other"brudder" sez right here right now if it was a single pedal i was buyin it would be a DW5000....TRUST YER FOOT WHEN YA TEST DRIVE....GOOD LUCK ON YER CHOICE,LET US KNOW HOW YER CHOOSING....AS ALWAYS ...LOVE YA BRO
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!