Thread: Getting back into the groove?

User Info Menu

Question Getting back into the groove?

New poster and sorry for the bad pun in the title. :D

Small story associated with this one. I started drumming as a teenager, had plenty of lessons, was in a couple of (not really that serious) bands and i think i achieved my grade 8 exam at one point. For a few reasons at around 18/19 (going to Uni, lack of space more than anything) i stopped playing. I'm 23 now and have been thinking about getting back playing again.

Right so i still have my kit, but its in pieces in my parents loft. I few sets of sticks, a practise pad and my old books and music charts.

So i'd like some advice on a couple of things. Firstly, my kit. Seen as its been sat in the loft for a few years, what should i be aware of in terms of getting it back up and running again. I thought the best idea would be to remove all of the skins, give all the metal and stuff a good old polish. Do i need to re-seat them? This is if i can remember how to actually tune my drums!?

Secondly how would people advise i get back into actually playing. It's been a while that i'm not sure what i can remember. I thought i'd just sit in front of my practise pad again and get some technique back before i actually sit down and play at my kit. If this sounds like a good idea, can anyone recommend some good practise pad exercises? During my lessons i was also taught how to read drum music, and this is something i might struggle to get back into.

Anyways, any thoughts, opinions, advice, flames? , feel free to shoot them my way. Plus I would love to hear if anyone else has got back into it after a long break. Cheers.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Getting back into the groove?

JimmyDeemo, welcome to Drum Chat. You won't have to worry about getting flamed around here, because we don't do that/allow that. What you'll find is that the people around here will encourage you about getting back into drumming, and they'll give you good advice, based on their experience, about what you can do to get yourself back in the groove (yeah, I used the same pun!).

I think you can put your fears about rusty skills to rest. Since drumming is a lot about muscle memory, I think you'll find that what you knew will come back fairly quickly with a little practice. As to the cleaning up of the kit, I'll let some others give you the benefit of their experience. There are many people here that have been right where you are now.

Again, welcome to Dum Chat JimmyDeemo!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

JimmyDeemo, welcome from a fellow newbie (in the forum).

I can relate to your situation as I played drums for a few years in my teens, then dropped it to play guitar. Recently, I decided to get back into drums after being away for almost 20 yrs!! I agree with pastor_bob about the muscle memory as I had no problems picking up almost where I left off. One of the other benefits maturity brought to me is a different attitude about practicing and a different appreciation for all music styles. One of the reasons I stopped playing was I had 'hit the wall' in terms of progressing. I realize now that it was my attitude, not my ability, that was keeping me from moving forward. It also helps to have great forums like this and dudes like pastor_bob and others who help and contribute in positive ways!!

One of the things I did fairly quickly after picking up the drums again was to take some lessons. It was more about getting creative ideas as well as some good practice skills, as opposed to learning how to play the drums. A couple of books that I'm sure every drummer either has or would recommend, "Syncopation" and "Stick Control". They don't look like much at first, but if you look around, you'll find many ways that people use the drills to expand it to the entire kit.

Hope you find this helpful. Welcome to the forum and welcome back to playing.

User Info Menu

Welcome to drum chat, as my user name suggests I came back to drumming after a 20 year layoff as well. It is like riding a bike it will all come back rapidly.

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat!

User Info Menu

Thanks all for the welcome. I'm hoping that my transition back to the kit will be a smooth one.

Would anyone recommend getting a few refresher lessons, something to cement what i should know from the level i stop at?

I'd really like some more input on the physical aspects of my kit. Should i be worried about the skins being under tension in loft conditions? Any pointer would be much appreciated.

User Info Menu

I did the same thing... Stopped playing when I was about 17 and wiped the dust off the old kit about 5 years later. I've actually found that I improved over that period. My creativity has developed heaps and my consideration for music as a whole while drumming has improved to the point that I'm aware of what's going on outside of the kit.

My kit was pretty good how I left it, however I broke a skin after a while and decided to replace them all. I got the guy at the store to fit and tune them for me as I didn't trust myself and he noticed that one of the shells had warped slightly which meant that the skin didn't sit perfectly... but you would never be able to hear that something was out.

It couldn't hurt to loosen the heads and re-tune them if your confident... If it sounds ok how it is, leave it for a while.

As far as refresher lessons... If you have the time and the money, I think they could be well worth it. Just to make sure that you don't have or develop any bad habits, and to get things swinging along again.

User Info Menu

I started at age 9, played a lot until college and only doodled a little until a few years ago, when I got connected with a couple of small groups. Can't really read anymore, lost that, but I play jazz with a trio, quartet and more and starting back with a big band soon. I will be 80 in Fall - and things still work!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mmarv View Post
    I will be 80 in Fall - and things still work!
    Holy ...!! That means I'll be playing for another 35 years at least...God willing. I should take better care of myself!!

You can take the boy out of the drums, but you can't take the drums out of the boy. Great to hear your still going!!! That's very inspirational.
    Last edited by drummer; 06-06-2008 at 01:12 PM.
    bruarm - Mapex Mafia
    Mapex Pro M fusion kit natural finish
    Zildjians:
    14" K Custom Dark hats
    14" K Heavy Ride
    10" & 12" A fast splashes
    14", 16" & 18" A fast crashes
    Pearl Eliminator double kick
    Pearl free-floater brass snare (the deep one!!)
    not one, but 2 cowbells!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mmarv View Post
    I will be 80 in Fall - and things still work!
    80 years young -

Welcome Jimmy

Drumming is a bit like a good woman, you split up with her and think everything is cool but eventually you realise you've made a huge mistake and wanna get back with her....

Enough of that. can I suggest replacing the heads if you can as there is fair chance they will be in a poor state. There are plenty of good cleaning products for drums and I think there is a thread about that somewhere on drumchat. When it comes to playing a few lessons would not hurt though if you are looking to get back into the groove, why not play along to cds / Ipod If you can. Its a great way to build up stamina and there is nothing more fun that jamming along to your favourite songs!

good luck with it & keep the faith. Remember there is nothing like getting back with that woman that your realised you loved all the time.....
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

Jimmie...Welcome to the Drum Forum!! Getting back to playing your drums will take a little time but well worth the effort. I was off mine for 12 years before getting back to them. Man, was I rusty! No speed, no Chops and no Technique. I started by playing simple Rock beats, jazz beats etc...just to re-acquaint myself with my drums. On the practice pad, I just started doing hand-to-hand exercises and then the rudiments. As I began to get more comfortable, I took my kit and checked all the heads. Eventually, I replaced them over all over a period of time. All the tension lugs and screws are original and in decent shape. I took each screw out, cleaned and oiled each one. This helps in keeping dust and dirt out of the lugs. You will want to carefully examine each of your drums for any cracks or weak spots in the shells. Do the same with your cymbal stands, hi-hat stand, drum pedals and anything else you have. My kit is 44 years old and shines like the day I brought them home. I use Dunlap Guitar polish to keep them looking that way...once a month. Once a year, I will polish the chrome hoops and fittings. A couple of times a year, I will clean the cymbals. With regard to actually getting back to playing, the best advice I can give you is to not give up on yourself. You will have days when everything seems so smooth. You will have days when everything you do seems wrong and out of place. This is Natural. You will, one day, get to the point where you will ask yourself why you are doing this. I did...it never occured to me that I would really be playing in a band again. I realized that I was doing this because of the Pride I always had in myself as a player. My reading skills had always been good but they needed to be refreshened. I wrote out drum charts off Louie Bellson CD's just so I could have some to play along with. Eventually, I found other charts to play along with. After a few years of doing this, I became engaged as drummer for a local big band that was starting up. I've been with them for the last 6 years and it is a blessing. We have a fine group of musicians, carefully recruited. The music is straight from Count Basie, Stan Kenton, Buddy Rich, Woody Herman and all the greats. We play vintage big band charts as well as more contemporary charts. I read the post from MMarv...My goodness, 80 and still playing. I'm 61 and hope to be playing when I am 80 as well. Best wishes to you and keep us informed of your progress.
    Last edited by fiacovaz; 06-06-2008 at 09:52 AM.

User Info Menu

Welcome.....I am a noob, but just restored a kit.....I would recommend a good spit and polish for your kit and I would recommend all new skins, if and when your budget allows, of course.......2 reasons for my suggestions.......the first being that you are making a fresh start, and there is nothing more inspiring than having a shiny kit to be proud to play on, incentive man,.....the second reason is if you go with new skins, and tune them up the best you can then your practice/playing will sound the best it can......of course that can be applied to any instrument...lol...even your wheels
    keep on bashing
    gerry