Thread: Who is schooled?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Default Who is schooled?

Hi, A newbie here and very delighted to become a member. I have to admit I was unaware a forum for drummers existed. Nevertheless, I wish to extend a warm hello to everyone. Also, I see there are a number of members using some play on the word "Sticks". This is actually a life long nick name given to me in grammar school because I always carried a pair of drum sticks where ever I went.
    A bit about me; I started playing percussion at age 9 and haven't looked back since. I've had formal training with local Buffalo Symphony Orchestra Percussionist at private lessons, attended two year music conservatory, and went on to a four year college where I studied percussion as primary instrument, composition, music education and theater. I am currently enjoying life as a fill in drummer for some local groups. Not playing professionally now but had my fill in the past.
    Well, enough of me. My question "Who is schooled" is out of curiosity in hearing from those of you who have taken private lessons and or formal grade school and or college education. Who were has it taken you? Have you completed a degree (BA, Masters, etc)? How many of you are or have played professionally (by professionally I mean not only for money but with a famous group or show or what have you.

Running out of time here so I'll come back soon to check replies and get to know you all soon.
    Keep on rolling!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Who is schooled?

tutored by graham haare- atleast I think that's how you spell it. currently tutored by Malcolm D*ick, the drummer for blackmore's night. Doing my grade 6 Trinity Guildhall :D Speaking of people who use a play on the word "sticks" lol Mine's from an old band I used to play in
    caution drummer may bite

User Info Menu

Hey Styxx , welcome to the forum,

I havent had any formal education the way you have , congrats on that milestone . My education started out with private lessons , then being educated in my local HS band program .

I have played only small gigs , country fairs , talent shows , church festivities , was a theatre drummer for a couple local plays . No professional gigs for me , cant stand being away from home any more .

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Styxx! When I started playing drums (a year ago), I took lessons at a local music store. The owner of the store had been playing drums for 40 years, and he has helped me a lot. I've been out of lessons for about 4 months now, due to illness and just plain being too busy, but I am looking forward to getting back to taking lessons, because I progress faster.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Welcome STYXX!! The only education I have is 1 yr of bass, 6 months classical guitar, and 24yrs with my ear. Been drumming for 2 months. My only form of lessons are a book on 4 way coordination and Tommy Igoe's Groove Essentials, which were recommended by the awesome people on this forum. Having trouble finding a drum instructor, without having to drive 100 miles! I learn a lot from questions asked here and some free lesson sites. Then, I am also using my Ear to help me out, too.

User Info Menu

Hey Styxx I actually am currently attending Musicians Institute in Hollywood,CA. I am working on getting my AA in Performance and Percussion. I have played with people in the industry and also alot of famous musicians come to my school and have came from this school.

User Info Menu

I'm schooled as well. Have played with many people. Welcome to the forum Styxx!

User Info Menu

Welcome Stixx to the forum! No formal schooling for percussion here either.

User Info Menu

I'm schooled as well. Binghamton, NY...student of Tony Monforte drum school 1960 - 1966. BA Instrumetal Music 1971. High school band director for many years...concert, marching and jazz band. DCI drumline instructor late 70's to early 80's. Older than most in here and still playing...big band...excellent playing and reading skills.

User Info Menu

I am currently being taught but not schooled. I did play Madden 08 at Best Buy yesterday and was schooled by a 10 year old kid.

Welcome to the forum! This is a great place!!!
    Begin the day with a friendly voice, a companion unobtrusive. - Rush

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silverdragonsound View Post
    I did play Madden 08 at Best Buy yesterday and was schooled by a 10 year old kid.
    Funny!!!!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I am currently being taught but not schooled. I did play Madden 08 at Best Buy yesterday and was schooled by a 10 year old kid.

I agree with PB , that is funny . I was going to comment on how my son schools me on the wii.......lol

User Info Menu

at least you you werent schooled by one at rock band., i draw crowds at best buy. that store should pay me when i go in there with my kids. they always sell at least two rock band sets every time i go in there and play the demo.

so far i think it is one of the best learning tools i have seen for drums. my 5yo is playing some songs on hard and is able to transfer the beats to the real kit.

User Info Menu

Completely self taught, except for the lesson in 1980 from Mark Edwards from Lyons, Oregon, who coached me on smooth buzz rolls. Where are ya Mark?
    No, I still won't play Wipe Out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    at least you you werent schooled by one at rock band., i draw crowds at best buy. that store should pay me when i go in there with my kids. they always sell at least two rock band sets every time i go in there and play the demo.

so far i think it is one of the best learning tools i have seen for drums. my 5yo is playing some songs on hard and is able to transfer the beats to the real kit.
    That's interesting. I would have thought that you would say that it isn't a good learning tool as it's not as realistic. Hmmm

User Info Menu

I'm totally self taught from day one. I do hope to attend a school such as the Drummers Collective in NY or something similar. Welcome to the forum!
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

ipod and a love for making noise that was early onset =]
    "I mean honestly... I don't understand how "boom-click-boom-click-boom-click"evades a drummer...." ~ Kryshah

Gretsch Catalina Club Mod
    Sabian cymbals:
    18 in. AAXplosion crash
    21 in. AA raw bell ride
    16 in. Vault crash
    14 in. AAX stage hats
    Paiste:10 in. metal splash
    Zildjian:zil-bel
    DW 7000 double pedals
    PDP hardware
    EMAD!!!

User Info Menu

I had a few lessons at school (basic rudiments and such like) but could play propelly before that. Drums were somthing that just came easy to me, maybe because my Grandfather was a drummer back in the 30s before WW2. He had to give up after the War as he suffered cramps brought on by the conditions he suffered duriing service in Burma and could not keep the beat up.

Have not had a lesson now in over 20 years and consider myself to be 95% self taught
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

All such great replies and so many so quickly! What ever all of us have succeeded in the past present and for the future ... it's good to be around fellow drummers/percussionist again!
    A bit about myself presently. I am in the midst of building a recording studio, have my own home studio where I teach and dabble in composition on an orchestral level using PC, Samplitude V10 Pro, Garritan Personal Orchestra (and his other libraries of instruments) and a member of the Garritan Personal Orchestra forum. I teach drums and percussion privately at my friends music store (where I am building the studio) two days a week with 15 students mostly young beginners. Currently filling in for my brother's drummer in his blues band and filling in for a friends country pop band.
    I could go on for ever but prefer to just relax, play my kit and compose.
    This is going to be an awesome experience being a member amongst so many talented percussionist!
    Remember, drummers don't follow ... the lead.