Thread: Pearl Export rack toms

User Info Menu

Default Pearl Export rack toms

So, for 2 months I have been playing my Export. Does anyone know how to get the 2 toms really close together? Is there another mounting unit that will fit in the bass drum? Kind of frustrating. I am trying to practice rolls and the distance is like a football field length. So, going to the 2nd tom, I kind of lag and it throws the time off. Do you think I really need to work it from a slower tempo and speed it up? I've sat behind a kit with suspension mounted toms and the closeness felt really good. Now I want it.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Pearl Export rack toms

pics please. it would help us alot

User Info Menu

here you go....
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Personally, I would just pull the stands further out of the bass drum mount so they are quite a bit higher, and then tilt your toms forward a bit so they maybe half an inch from the bass drum. You should be able to get them a bit closer is you fiddle around with them that way.

I have the same mounting system and massive toms on my old export. It's hard to get them perfect mainly because they are so deep.

User Info Menu

Thanks, I was hoping not to raise them. They do feel comfortable at their current height, but I guess I can get used to them that way.

User Info Menu

If you angle them kind of towards you and towards each other a bit, you should be able to get them fairly low.

Loosen all the thingies on the hardwear a little so that it will all still hold, but you can force them by hand and get them as right as you can... then tighten it all up again.

User Info Menu

You could put on I.S.S. mounts, but your still going to have the same problem (they'll sound better though ). I had the same issue with my Pearls. 2 options: 1. Raise the arms up like everyone else suggested, or 2. use a rack. When I switched to a rack system, it made the mounting possiblities almost endless. Now all my toms (5) are within a 1/4" of each other and it is very easy to get around. But, racks cost a pretty penny, so I would suggest you keep on adjusting until you come up with something that feels good. If you can't, start saving up.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

instead of having your toms turn out try to turn the mounts so that the rods are pointing towards you rather than out to the sides and you do need to raise them
    "I mean honestly... I don't understand how "boom-click-boom-click-boom-click"evades a drummer...." ~ Kryshah

Gretsch Catalina Club Mod
    Sabian cymbals:
    18 in. AAXplosion crash
    21 in. AA raw bell ride
    16 in. Vault crash
    14 in. AAX stage hats
    Paiste:10 in. metal splash
    Zildjian:zil-bel
    DW 7000 double pedals
    PDP hardware
    EMAD!!!

User Info Menu

I agree with KJ. You'll probably have to raise the toms a bit to accomodate the new position, but it will bring them a bit closer to you, which will help you going from the snare to the toms. You can also tilt them down slightly toward the snare, and that could make up for them being slightly higher. All that said, doing what KJ said will definitely allow you to get them closer together.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone! I was hoping I wouldn't have to get the oxy/acetolene torch out!!!! I have a long weekend. Somewhere I can get to it!

User Info Menu

can you not just push them together?. if not i would raise them up and try it. and if that feels uncomfortable, raise your snare, hats, and throne up too. LOL

User Info Menu

I got them a little closer. It did help. I am considering mounting them from a stand.