Thread: What's the best METAL GEAR out there?!

User Info Menu

Default What's the best METAL GEAR out there?!

Hey everyone, Befall here with a second lifetime post hehe.

I'm curious what everyone believes the best metal brand, toms, cymbals, pedals are. I play/would like to play death/black metal, and want a deep sound, lower tone, and great sensitivity and playability for fast beats.

Any suggestions for shells, heads, cymbals, pedals and even sticks would be appreciated!

Thanks everyone! God I love this site already!

User Info Menu

Default Re: What's the best METAL GEAR out there?!

lol...Befall...you are a beginner??? There is no "Metal" setup.....its just about the tuning,feel,and sound....

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forum Befall!

User Info Menu

tama?

User Info Menu

i say 4 guns of the patriots.
    hahaha sorry guys video game nerd in the house.
    but a lot of mettal guys go for the tama and paiste or tama and meil or however thats spelled. but basicaly double ply heads for deeper tones, maybe try the tama short toms witch get lower tuneings, and heavy duty hard ware, the rest is up to you.
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

Drums: doesn't matter
    Cymbals: doesn't matter
    Sticks: doesn't matter
    Pedals/hardware: doesn't matter
    Heads: matters a tad, but the selection is HUGE and there's no way I can list it. You could get away with using anything as long as you can tune well.

You'll find every manufacturer ever made being used in metal, and punk, rock, blues, jazz, pop, country... none of it matters. Go pick out what you think sounds good and roll with it. Don't get stuck on names, or what you "should" use. That's the worst mistake you could ever make. Learn proper technique for playing and practice, that's all that matters.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by quikstang2 View Post
    Heads: matters a tad, but the selection is HUGE and there's no way I can list it. You could get away with using anything as long as you can tune well.

You'll find every manufacturer ever made being used in metal, and punk, rock, blues, jazz, pop, country... none of it matters. Go pick out what you think sounds good and roll with it. Don't get stuck on names, or what you "should" use. That's the worst mistake you could ever make. Learn proper technique for playing and practice, that's all that matters.
    HOLA COMO ESTAS QUIKSTANG2**CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST(CAT) EXCELLENT *THATS A FACT * GRACIAS**

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by quikstang2 View Post

When you're right, you're right.

Befall, if you're a hard hitter, you may want to look into heavier cymbals, as they may hold up better to the hits. Same goes for your heads, look into 2-ply. Maybe deeper toms if you're looking for deep tones. Although, tuning can yield similar results.
    Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction

User Info Menu

Be careful with cymbals that are too heavy. The really heavy cymbals are also more brittle (they break rather than bend where a thinner cymbal will bend rather than break). They are louder, but that's really not necessary, especially if you don't want to damage your ears. I wouldn't use anything heavier than a medium-heavy crash. It's plenty loud enough and if you're not hitting too hard (i.e. you play properly) then you shouldn't have cracking issues (I haven't).
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Well.....
    If the case is you need some METAL Sound Gear...
    For Cymbals Z Custom sure suitable....
    I mean....Cymbals take a role here.....You can't get nice "Metal" Sound if you use Zidjian K or K custom,do you ?

And for Sticks....The size is 5B....Brand doesn't matter....
    I don't say you can't play metal with 7A...It's just not suitable
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by totti View Post
    Well.....
    If the case is you need some METAL Sound Gear...
    For Cymbals Z Custom sure suitable....
    I mean....Cymbals take a role here.....You can't get nice "Metal" Sound if you use Zidjian K or K custom,do you ?

And for Sticks....The size is 5B....Brand doesn't matter....
    I don't say you can't play metal with 7A...It's just not suitable
    HOLA COMO ESTAS TOTTI *CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST (CAT) THAT ALL DEPENDS ON THE CREATIVE ARTIST OWN UNIQUE
    ARTISTRY within THEIR OWN TECHNIQUES AS applied to THE ACTUAL MUSIC .
    STICKS SIZE Is NOT THE ISSUE HERE ITS ALL WHAT WORKS FOR THE OPEN MINDED CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTIST *within HIS of HERS OWN UNIQUE
    (TECHNIQUES)(FINESSE*)(FEEL) (TASTE)(GRACE) within THEIR STYLE THEIR OWN STRUTURED Awareness too THE DYNAMICS within THE ACCENTED AND SOMETIMES VERY COMPLEX RHYTHMS & TEMPOS that within METAL THE ARTIST KNOWS WHATS UP ..
    within the MUSIC **USEING 7A's Or ANY other size its ALL WHAT THe ARTIST FEELS IS RIGHT within their Own CREATIVE ARTISTIC JOURNEYS **
    AS THIS IS ALL A FANTASTIC JOURNEY ***GRACIAS

User Info Menu

(TECHNIQUES)(FINESSE*)(FEEL) (TASTE)(GRACE) within THEIR STYLE THEIR OWN STRUTURED Awareness too THE DYNAMICS within THE ACCENTED AND SOMETIMES VERY COMPLEX RHYTHMS & TEMPOS that within METAL THE ARTIST KNOWS WHATS UP ..
    You made some good point mate....
    I see....
    But you know....You can hit more powerful with 5B Sticks....I'm not said that you can't use 7A for bashing Cymbals...
    But I think about effectiveness....That's what I wanna figured out....

But what you said STICKS...Was totally true....
    It's depend to the drummer her/himself....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX