Thread: Playing on plywood???

User Info Menu

Default Playing on plywood???

I need some help, June 28th will be my first gig!!! It's a company picnic so we will be playing outside. We need to set up on gravel, I'm going to assume it will be level. I was going to use plywood - 4 x 8 - and an extra piece for the throne. Will the weight of the drums keep the plywood in place. Maybe someone on drum chat has had to do the same thing. Thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Playing on plywood???

I have had to do the same thing last year although I didn't take my good kit I used the kit I rehears on (tama Rockstars) the plywood should work out fine, I also used my gig rug over that and it worked out ok.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Playing on plywood???

Definitely place something between the plywood and the drum kit.
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I do have a carpet I can put over the plywood. Thanks

ThePloughman Guest

Take and nail 4 ..... 16D green vinyl sinkers down at each end of the plywood, right into the gravel. That will help keep it in place. When you are done just remove the nails. Unless of course you cant damage the plywood. Not that 8 nail holes is going to hurt anything.

User Info Menu

Actually it depends on how thick the plywood you are using. Is it 1/2inch or 3qrter's inch? anything below 1/2 inch will a be a issue.

User Info Menu

1/2

User Info Menu

As long as you have a rug on the plywood, the friction of the gravel, plus your own weight, and that of the drums, should keep the plywood from moving. The big thing would be to make sure the gravel is level enough.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

Drum Bum: Gifts for Drummers

Cool Drummer T-shirts and Drum Accessories!