Thread: I got a djembe today!

User Info Menu

Default I got a djembe today!

It's nothing much, 8'', rope tuned, and apparently no brand haha. It's really nice and sounds great! I'll have pictures as soon as I get back to the theater where I'm working in the pit as the primary percussionist.
    It's a classic.

• How many drummers does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Five: One to screw the bulb in, and four to talk about how much better
    Neil Peart could have done it.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: I got a djembe today!

Nothing wrong with that one, jd...could be you have an authentic African djembe (mine is a no-name special, too)...play it loud and play it proud, bro'...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Default Re: I got a djembe today!

Congratulations on the new djembe JD!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

The sound is more important than the manufacturer bro, congrads on the Djembe, and welcome to the ranks of hand slammers!
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

My friend plays African drums and was playing one for me. Very cool sounds. Enjoy your new purchase!!!
    Begin the day with a friendly voice, a companion unobtrusive. - Rush

User Info Menu

Man, I miss my djembe!!! Congrats man, I gotta get another!! Then I too will be feeling like...
    Mapex Pro M Classic Plus
    Zildjian Armand Cymbals
    In the service of The King!

User Info Menu

Cool jd. Where did you get yours? I was in Asheville, NC this past weekend and was at a drum circle and am now hooked. Prices?
    Respect.
    Like.
    Love.
    ...and Drum!

User Info Menu

Congrats on the new cool gear!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MIkeymaCK View Post
    Cool jd. Where did you get yours? I was in Asheville, NC this past weekend and was at a drum circle and am now hooked. Prices?
    Asheville is an awesome town man, I saw a show there a few years ago at the Orange Peal. Great stuff. Are you from NC?
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MIkeymaCK View Post
    It depends on what kind of djembe you want, MM...I paid $165 for mine in 2001, and, as I said before, it is a handmade African djembe with the kinte cloth and rope tuning...

These days, Remo, LP and other companies make djembes that are tuned with a drum key or wrench depending on the model, and they come in wood or fiberglass shells in a variety of sizes and finishes, with either skin or synthetic heads (Remo's FiberSkyn, for example)...depending on all these factors, the price could be anywhere from $100 to $200 (or more)...

If you haven't seen this yet, man, here's a link to a review I did a while back on a couple of djembes...http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...toca-1370.html

Good luck, bro'!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Congrats and welcome to the world of hand percussion!
    Just to fore warn you.....
    You start by buying a djembe... then you'll buy some congas...then you'll buy an Ashiko....then you'll buy...well, you see where this is heading.
    HAPPY SHOPPING JD09!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jackstraw View Post
    Congrats and welcome to the world of hand percussion!
    Just to fore warn you.....
    You start by buying a djembe... then you'll buy some congas...then you'll buy an Ashiko....then you'll buy...well, you see where this is heading.
    HAPPY SHOPPING JD09!!!
    But I can quit anytime... I am not addicted or anything, all I need is ONE more drum and then I will be happy
    ---- If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum. - chinese proverb

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by midgard View Post
    But I can quit anytime... I am not addicted or anything, all I need is ONE more drum and then I will be happy
    My thoughts exactly!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jd09 View Post
    It's nothing much, 8'', rope tuned, and apparently no brand haha. It's really nice and sounds great! I'll have pictures as soon as I get back to the theater where I'm working in the pit as the primary percussionist.
    HOLA COMO ESTAS JD09 CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST
    (CAT) THATS VERY COOL* NEW DIMENSIONS within YOUR CREATIVE ARTISTIC PASSION (ARTISTRY) GRACIAS

User Info Menu

I picked it up at a flea market outside of town. It was only $20 and it sounded really cool so I said what the heck, I'm getting it. It has some very beautiful artwork on it also.
    It's a classic.

• How many drummers does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Five: One to screw the bulb in, and four to talk about how much better
    Neil Peart could have done it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by midgard View Post
    Just remember...http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...have-5355.html

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAaaaahhh...

Charlie