Thread: 2 high quality videos - drums and percussion

User Info Menu

Cool 2 high quality videos - drums and percussion

Hello to all the drummers on drumchat. Here are 2 links to my drumming on drums and percussion:
    http://www.bongojohn.net/images/Bong...042808_new.wmv

http://www.bongojohn.net/images/Bong...sion_Video.wmv

Enjoy!

Best Regards,

Bongo

For everything "Bongo John", go to: http://www.bongojohn.net/

User Info Menu

Default Re: 2 high quality videos - drums and percussion

Nice John. Interesting style and set-up. Great job. Thanks for sharing and welcome to DRUM CHAT!

User Info Menu

Very cool and great playing, very musical!
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat BongoJohn! Very nice vids. Thanks for sharing them with us!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Nice vids Bongo-J and welcome to the forum.

User Info Menu

Pretty dang funky Bongo-j, great playing for sure!

User Info Menu

Hey everybody,

Big thanks for the warm welcome and compliments. Hope to get to know each of you.

Right now I have a broken forearm on the mends. My doctor expects that I will fully recover from the injury. Looking forward to playing the drums again in about two months...

Also looking forward to getting to know the lay of the land here at drumchat !

Best Regards,
    "Bongo" John

User Info Menu

Talking Re: 2 high quality videos - drums and percussion

Here's another video from a little over a year ago...
    http://bongojohn.net/images/Bongo_Vi...y_2007_new.wmv

Kind Regards,
    Bongo John

User Info Menu

Smile Re: 2 high quality videos - drums and percussion

Couldn't wait... played the kit one-handed with both feet for an hour this morning and had a great time.

~Bongo

Last edited by BongoJohn; 05-27-2008 at 11:35 AM.

User Info Menu

Top notch playing!! Thanks for sharing the vids. Welcome!!
    bruarm - Mapex Mafia
    Mapex Pro M fusion kit natural finish
    Zildjians:
    14" K Custom Dark hats
    14" K Heavy Ride
    10" & 12" A fast splashes
    14", 16" & 18" A fast crashes
    Pearl Eliminator double kick
    Pearl free-floater brass snare (the deep one!!)
    not one, but 2 cowbells!!

User Info Menu

Hey Bongo John and a Big Welcome to the the Drum Forum and chat. First things first, we'll address you as Bongo John, Bongo J or Bongo 2 as we already have Bongo Bro and don't want to get the two of you confused (Bongo is confused enough as it is...just kidding BB, you know I love you). Anyway, I'm Frank, both in name and demeanor, otherwise known as The Old Guy...I'm 61 and still playing with big bands. I loved both of your videos. The first one kind of reminded me of myself. Not that I play as well as you do but, I love getting behind my kit start a Groove and let it go from there. I do have a question, though, about your set - up. You appear to be very adept with either hand but, your kit made me think of you being a Left hand player...position of the bass drum relative to your hi-hat and toms. How would you describe your set - up? Video 2 was AWESOME!! I never got into playing hand drums and you almost make me wish I had. Wow, you looked like you were having a lot of fun and it was very entertaining. Thanks for sharing these and I hope to see you around the Forum.

User Info Menu

Really digging on those bongo rolls!

Great overall technique!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BongoJohn View Post

Kind Regards,
    Bongo John

That was Awright!!

User Info Menu

welcome John - thats some set up!
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

welcome to drum chat

very nice work

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Cool Re: 2 high quality videos - drums and percussion

Hey, BongoJohn!

This is the other "bongo" man in DC--and I don't mind sharin' the "bongos" with ya!

Haven't got a chance to check out the vids, but from the comments I've seen so far, I can't wait to see ya in action!

I'll turn 56 next month, so, like Frank, I'm one of the older members of DC...but when I start slappin' the skins, age doesn't matter...

Incidentally, most people refer to me as BB or b-bro, so feel free to call me that (my real name is Charlie)...although callin' you BongoJohn works for me!

Welcome aboard, bro'!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Kind Regards,
    Bongo John
    , man! You're cookin' on that one!

BTW, how do you like the Giovanni compact bongos?

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Fiacovaz,

I'm actually left-handed, but lead with my right. In otherwords, open handed on a left handed kit. In my early teens I made the decision to play open handed because I wanted to be able to play hi-hat and not have to cross under my left hand to play a tom tom... My kit is a mutt kit, PDP, Pearl Ultra Cast deep snare (I also own a Pearl maple free floating concert snare). As far as cymbals: Paiste, Sabian, and the ole trusty Wuhan china crash. The snare-tom (tom to my far right) came from having played an electronic~acoustic hybrid for several years.

Right now I'm gearlng up to study Stanton Moore's playing. I wrote a drumbook back in 92 titled, "Exploring Basic Stickings and Polyrhythms" which I recently revised to some degree. Being a keyboardist in addition has helped with knowing when not to play, when it comes to playing songs. Years ago I played bass guitar, so that helped lay the foundation for understanding how the kick and bass work together.

The drum videos are moreso for entertainment, though I really dig just jammin on bass drum, snare, and hi-hat too!

BongoBro,

Hey, I figure there is always room for more than just one Bongo! A pair of bongos go great together ! As far as the Giovanni bongos, I love them for kit, since they have a bongo/roto tom combination of tone and can be played with sticks...

For everyone else who commented, thanks again, and I'll be back soon !

I'm about to fall asleep here at Studio 313 where I work, so a shout will be made
    out soon!

Much Thanks,
    "Bongo" John
    Last edited by BongoJohn; 05-28-2008 at 05:02 AM. Reason: incomplete line

User Info Menu

Hey everybody,

Big thanks for the warm welcome and compliments. Hope to get to know each of you.

Right now I have a broken forearm on the mends. My doctor expects that I will fully recover from the injury. Looking forward to playing the drums again in about two months...

Also looking forward to getting to know the lay of the land here at drumchat !

Best Regards,
    "Bongo" John
    Sorry to hear about your busted wing . I know exactly what youre going thru . I fractured my left arm beetween the shoulder and elbow last July , was out of work for a couple months and still cant extend my arm up completely with out some trouble . Hang in there , good luck .

User Info Menu

Bongo John...thanks for the explanation of Open Hand playing. Recently, there has been some discussion as to what that is, exactly...the videos answer that. Your resume is impressive and I am hoping that we get to hear a lot from you.

User Info Menu

Welcome To Drumchat Bongojohn....my Name Is Phrogge(legend In My Own Mind)and One Of The Three Ancient Wisemen,,(theres Frank,then Me.and My Bongobro) Im The Blind One Of Da Bunch....great Playin Open Hand Style And Yer Percussion Groove Was Just That..."groovy"....welcome To Our Happy Little Disphunktional Phamily ....you'll Soon Be Repeating My Fav Phrase ...."i Lubs Dis Place(and Da Peoples In It)" I Broke My Right Hand Typing 13 Yrs Ago So Im Not Da Player I Was Over The Last 40 Yrs Worldwide But This Place And Dis "phamily"continue To Feed My Passion For The Art....i Found Myself Playin Wif One Hand And My Pheet Just To Get Da Groove Out I Spent 10 Years In Nawlins So Cudos About Lookin Into Stanton Moore's Playin....hope To Meet Ya Personally Soon...again Welcome Wif All Da Soul A Brudder Can Offer Anudder.....
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

HOLA COMO ESTAS *BONGOJOHN *CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST(CAT) VERY SMOOTH *CREATIVE ARTISTRY *COOL SYCOPATIONS* GRACIAS **

User Info Menu

Couldn't wait... played the kit one-handed with both feet for an hour this morning and had a great time.

~Bongo
    Hey, B-John (this might work, come to think of it)--

I know the feelin'...I once broke my right pinky (dropped a heavy briefcase on it!) and couldn't play any drums, much less bongos or congas, for about six weeks...

The funny thing is, dude, when the cast came off (actually a plastic trough that immobilized the finger and funneled the sweat down my arm, so I nicknamed it "the drainpipe"), I played better than ever...

Sounds like you're still rockin' with only one hand! Keep jammin'--

B-bro

Charlie