Thread: Wind Chime Rack

User Info Menu

Default Wind Chime Rack

Had an idea from always bumping my head on all the wind chimes hanging from our kitchen ceiling.........long story short.........the missus came home with a "coat" rack made out of 3/4 inch plumbing black pipe ........basically a frame that one would hang coathangers from........approx 6 feet long....3 feet high.......rectangular frame......with plumbing 90's on the corners and T's at the bottem corners to make short legs out to the side for stability........I took apart 5 (or 6?) sets of wind chimes.......the type that hang on a round disc with a pull cord and disc that you can pull and swing to make the chimes sound if there is no breeze, basicall hollow pipes).......I started with a 5 piece set of chimes ranging from 18" long graduating to 12" long, 1 inch in diameter.....restrung them with string to the top rail of the rack, side by side (tipe of heavy, metal pipe) , longest to shortest....almost touching.........next set......alluminum 5 piece set ranging from approx 24" long to down to about 18 inches long, 3/4 inch diameter......when strung out they take about 1/3 of the racks length...strung side by side, almost touching......for the center I remembered we had an old brass chinese gong (about 8 inches in diameter) so I strung it up in the center......(it requires a soft round ended mallet to sound)........on the right side I placed a set of 6 smaller chimes....aluminum....ranging in length from about 6 inches in length down to about 4 inches...maybe 3/8 inch diameter....then a 5 piece even smaller set ....about 1/4 inch diameter...then a set of 4 approx 5 inches long, solid alluminum, (all having the same tone)........then to finish off a small hanging cow bell with the inside ringer................as mentioned the gong needs it's own stick, but for the rest of the different sets of chimes I used a regular drum stick to sound them.........you can "drag" the stick across them for a type of (exagerrated description) Xylophone sound or you can gently (single or double) strike them individually to have them "ring"....it makes for a beautiful palette of sound(s)...........at the moment my drum kit is in storage at a friends so I am not sure of proper placement for access behing the drum kit........I wasted a few hours stringing it together........should have re-painted the rack first, dang........them wasted a few more hours experimenting with sound........I am very pleased with my results.........would like to add a wooden bamboo set when I can find one cheap......if you have a windchime handy, hit it gently with the end on a drum stick and you will have an idea of the tonal options when using various sizes....bigger is deeper, smaller sizes are ringier..... may have to incorporate something like a ribbon across the back of the whole rack so that the chimes don't "swing" too much???........I really wish I had pictures, not set up yet......as an after thought....I'm having a jam towards the end of june, and I will try and have someone take pictures of this unit and my kit for me to share.....another thing, me and a bud had to each grab an end and carefully move it into place......will take some thought as how to secure to transport .....also a boom mike will definetly need to be over top of the rack to realize full sound potential.........
    cheers
    gerry

User Info Menu

Default Re: Wind Chime Rack

Would love to see this. Can't wait for the pictures.

User Info Menu

Sounds pretty cool RW! I'm a fan of good chimes.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

let the good chimes roll.............

User Info Menu

Good one!!! LOL
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

HOLA COMO ESTAS RIFF WRAFF *CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST (CAT) THAT is GREAT and Will ADD ALOT OF TEXTURES & COLORS*within Your UNIQUE CREATIVE ARTISTRY**GREAT JOB**GRACIAS