Thread: Big Problem With Feet!

User Info Menu

Unhappy Big Problem With Feet!

Hi everyone, this is my first post, so I hope I'll find some help.
    I drum double-bass. I started off for 3 years with only right foot.
    Currently, my left foot is really good, but my right, oddly enough, got worse.
    I can't play anything very fast because my right foot screws it all up.
    I've been practicing alot, but it hasn't gotten any better.
    Has anyone had this problem? Know how to help?

Please, please let me know if you can. Much appreciated.

-Befall

User Info Menu

Default Re: Big Problem With Feet!

I was going thru that exact problem dude. I actually am a size 14 shoe so my feet are heavy... Trust me it gets worse before it gets better. My feet are faster now. One thing I recommend is playing with a metronome...play with 80 bpm first then work your way up every week....until you get to 220 bpm or better...you will see huge results in a few months...also play triplets with your feet because it only makes you better...welcome to the forum..im kinda new here too

User Info Menu

Awesome, thanks man. Yeah, I have size 13 shoes. Which I figure are not so perfect for drumming. I'll try more of the metronome.

More posts are welcome everyone. Thanks again!

User Info Menu

Excellent advice Jaymz! Anytime we are struggling with anything, the conventional wisdom is to slow it down until it becomes perfect. You have to get to the speed where it is perfect, so that you can get that muscle memory locked in. Then, as you gradually increase speed, you are relying on the muscle memory to stay locked in. As you gradually get faster, you are simply adding to the existing muscle memory.

Welcome to Drum Chat Befall! Any questions we have, or any advice that is offered, becomes one more thing from which we can all learn. Good to have you with us!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I thought i had a similar problem a little while ago, i went from being able to play really fast to hardly being able to play at all. The reason for me was because i normally play heel up but i didnt realise i was playing with my heel very low down with my right foot, i gotta have my heels right up when i play. You could try adjusting the tension on your pedals if thats an option, maybe loosening it uop would allow you to play more consistently. The metronome advice is very good though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Excellent advice Jaymz! Anytime we are struggling with anything, the conventional wisdom is to slow it down until it becomes perfect. You have to get to the speed where it is perfect, so that you can get that muscle memory locked in. Then, as you gradually increase speed, you are relying on the muscle memory to stay locked in. As you gradually get faster, you are simply adding to the existing muscle memory.

Welcome to Drum Chat Befall! Any questions we have, or any advice that is offered, becomes one more thing from which we can all learn. Good to have you with us!
    great advis PB...for me i played a long time as a single and went to a double. i started "cheating" with the left and had to go back to single to get the muscle memory back. its not hard to do, don't get frustrated it will come back rather quickly if you focus on the right and let the left chill a while.

User Info Menu

I had that problem about 6 months ago. All of a sudden I just could not play smooth double kicks for longer than 30 seconds. It was so frustrating and hurtful after all the hard hours I was putting in. Anyway after a couple of months they smoothed out again and when they did my speed and smoothness was better than it was before.

Absolutely agree with PB and Jaymz, slow it down when that happens and use the metronome. What pedals are you using coz I am certain that my pedals are hindering my double kick performance. I really neeed to upgrade
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

My cheap-O PDP double pedal is about to break any minute...i already broke the left spring and replaced it with an old yamaha pedal spring...the fastest i can go is 190 BPM for about 2 minutes before my leg muscles completely tighten up

User Info Menu

I use Yamaha pedals. I don't *think* they'd hinder my performance. I'd rather have Iron Cobras or Axis or something but they work I'd say. And thanks for the tips, they are helping, I've already started.

User Info Menu

Well, Do you play heels up or heels down?

User Info Menu

Anytime we are struggling with anything, the conventional wisdom is to slow it down until it becomes perfect.
    Amen.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Excellent advice Jaymz! Anytime we are struggling with anything, the conventional wisdom is to slow it down until it becomes perfect.
    Agreed. The worst thing you can do is to rush it.

User Info Menu

In one of several magazine interiviews, Joey Jordison...SlipKnot...related his practice technique to overcome the same problem. He used, at the time, Iron Cobra pedals. He would tighten the tension as high as they would go; sit in towards the drums as close as possible to make him play "Heels - Up." This increased his stamina and speed as well as consistency with his playing. Once you get to this stage, then you can vary your practice routine with eights, sixteenths, triplets etc. Also, play any of these with a paradiddle configurations. Like the old guys used to say...practice is supposed to be hard, otherwise, if it wasn't, everybody would play the drums.

User Info Menu

I've always played heel up. But thanks again everyone. I'm using this advice, and already can sustain 16th's at 120bpm for as long as I need to. It's not much, but it's getting better. GOD I LOVE THIS SITE ALREADY!