Drum Domains

Thread: Need that crisp snare!

User Info Menu

Exclamation Need that crisp snare!

Could anyone give me pointers on how I can take the "barrel" sound out of a
    4" piccolo snare?
    I am searching for that nice crisp snare sound. I have tried muffeling the top head w/ duct tape, just a bit.
    Any advice would be most appreciated!
    Beat on dem drums, not on da peeps!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Need that crisp snare!

Hello Joseph nice to meet you....

Wow...4" Snare ??
    I've never seen such a small snare like that.....

Maybe another experienced drummer like PB,Frank,BB,STICKS and others can answer your question properly....
    Cheers mate.....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

what do you mean barrel sound? could be that your wires are too tight.

User Info Menu

Duct tape will achieve nothing.
    And yes, please elabourate on your barrel sound theory.
    jimbolimbo99 Mapex Mafia

Mapex M Birch
    Sabian AA and Paragons
    Zildjian A's
    Meinl Generation X
    Dream Lion
    Trick Pro-1V

My band

My Kit

User Info Menu

I don't know what heads you are using, but it sounds like you need to look into a two ply or pre muffled head, like the Aquarian studio X or similar head with a mylar ring around the outer edge. You could also look into the remo rings that sit on top of your snare head and muffle the otter edge slightly to take out the undesired ring. Any of those solutions should focus your snare sound and achieve what you are looking for.

User Info Menu

Totti, thanks for the vote of confidence, but when it comes to experience I bow to many others around here. I am not worthy to hold their drumsticks for them!

JL, first of all welcome back to Drum Chat!

I am wondering if maybe you've got the resonant head too tight. That might account for a loss of snare sound too. Another thought I had was whether the "barrel" sound you mentioned might be another way of describing a "choked" drum. Drummers usually tighten down a head on a snare to get more "crack" out of the snare - that crisp sound. Could it be that you tightened it too tight? We're stabbing in the dark here, because we're trying to understand the "barrel" sound.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I took the barrel sound to mean like what it sounds like when you hit a basket ball with a stick ringy and open sounding and not a focused snare sound. You mentioned something PB that I hadn't thought of. It could very well be a choked drum sound, however piccolo snares are hard to really choke because they are all head sounds and very little shell sound due to they are so shallow. They seem to crack not matter what you do. Like PB said we need more information or we are just stabbing in the dark.

User Info Menu

i really think that your snare reso is too tight, and the batter is tight as well. play around with the tension, and check your snare wire tension too.

User Info Menu

Im interpreting barrel as in a deep hollow shell, in which case, youve got the wrong snare, 4 inches is meant for a crack noise

But if you want a nice crisp sound, dont go cranking the drum like crazy, if your talking about a nice staccato (not even deep, like i interperet barrel, your not gonna get a deep sound from a 4 inch) but a staccato sound, make usre your heads are at a reasonable tension, not collapsable tension, and make sure your snares are really tight, dont let them dangle, make sure their tight, not tight enough to rip the head or break apart, but make sure the snares are tight on the drum

User Info Menu

on how to make your snare more crisp is to have tighter heads, not crazy tight but tight, on a drum dial a 7 or 8 maybe.
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jimbolimbo99 View Post
    Duct tape will achieve nothing.
    How do you figure that Jimbo. I've been using duct tape for years to dampen drums with great success.
    - Tom

Everyone loves FREE... like this free drum forum. But like your car and even your drums, they require upkeep and maintenance and that requires money.

Will you consider Shopping at Drum Bum to help support this forum?

Or make a donation here.

I know from working with Drum Bum through the years, that this forum is costly to run. It requires server fees, hosting, ongoing moderation, advertising, software upgrades, security certificates and IT work when it breaks. All in addition to the expenses that come from running a business. These costs are offset (hopefully) by members that click through to Drum Bum to make a purchase now and then, if not make a contribution to help keep it running.

On behalf of Drum Bum, thank you for your consideration.

User Info Menu

i think its more simple like the tuning
    take the batter head tighter
    piccolo snares are meant to be ringy with a really tight batter head
    "I mean honestly... I don't understand how "boom-click-boom-click-boom-click"evades a drummer...." ~ Kryshah

Gretsch Catalina Club Mod
    Sabian cymbals:
    18 in. AAXplosion crash
    21 in. AA raw bell ride
    16 in. Vault crash
    14 in. AAX stage hats
    Paiste:10 in. metal splash
    Zildjian:zil-bel
    DW 7000 double pedals
    PDP hardware
    EMAD!!!