Thread: How much to powder coat?

User Info Menu

Default How much to powder coat?

I am going to powder coat my Pearl and Premier marching snares. What are the average prices for a full black powder coat? I want to try and bribe my way down to a good deal but need to know where to start. Any information would help.
    Thanks guys.
    Respect.
    Like.
    Love.
    ...and Drum!

User Info Menu

Default Re: How much to powder coat?

Most times powder coating can be reasonable if they are already powder coating a bigger job in the color you need. I had my high hat stand metal base, powder coated to match my DW 5000 foot pedal base (Red) it cost me $35 because they were already doing a job in the color I wanted. It costs allot more if they have to clean the gun out and re load your color for just one part or shell for example. It should be pretty easy if you want black because that is a really common color for misc parts. I would think between $35 and $50 bucks should be about right at lease here in my area of the world.

User Info Menu

Depends on the shop. I used to work for a Powdercoat/Paint shop. It was an automated line. We mostly painted Matte Black. If you knew someone, you could get it down for free. I would agree with Backtodrum on pricing. Shop around.

User Info Menu

Do drum shops powder coat too or just paint shops?

User Info Menu

that sounds like a great idea for the rims on my all black kit! How would one go about finding someone to powder coat? Just open a phone book and look for painters?
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

The phone book should have listings for dedicated powder coat companies. They need to have big ovens to bake the powder coat after it is applied by electricly charging the part, and the powder coat sticks to it until it is baked on.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    The phone book should have listings for dedicated powder coat companies. They need to have big ovens to bake the powder coat after it is applied by electricly charging the part, and the powder coat sticks to it until it is baked on.
    How does powder coat hold up? Does it start to flake or chip after a while? It would be neat to do my rims, but not if it won't hold up to rim shots.
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

Hmmmmm...................... Powder coat lasts a lot longer. It holds up to chipping really well. Remember, there are many different types. See if this helps:

http://www.sherwin-williams.com/oem/...wder_coatings/

I sprayed a lot of it in the early 90's. That's a different story.

User Info Menu

It is the same finish on any DW and ddrums etc. black, blue and red and every other color coated rims and lugs on the market. They are all powder coated with the exception of Tama's black chrome and Gold plating etc. It is a very durable finish and as BLD said, chip resistant.

User Info Menu

I failed to mention Kryshah, that you can buy black powder coated rims from the drum part suppliers for the same amount that you can get chrome and I bet in the long run it would be cheaper than trying to have it done yourself.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys for the help.
    Respect.
    Like.
    Love.
    ...and Drum!

User Info Menu

Buy a powder coating kit and get a spare oven. Then other people can pay you to powder coat their stuff.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

That is a valid idea, but you are limited to what you can coart as to what fits in the oven!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    It is the same finish on any DW and ddrums etc. black, blue and red and every other color coated rims and lugs on the market. They are all powder coated with the exception of Tama's black chrome and Gold plating etc. It is a very durable finish and as BLD said, chip resistant.
    i'm pretty sure pearls black hw is not powder coated. my buddy builds frisbee golf baskets and does all his own powder coating. i'll give him a call later and see if i can get some do it yourself advise for ya.