Thread: Drum Lessons

User Info Menu

Default Drum Lessons

I'm going for my second drum lesson there this thursday. I don't feel like i have adhered to the practice regime...cos I'm just so busy these days...
    should i cancel?

1DrJoy Guest

Default Re: Drum Lessons

Quote Originally Posted by mexicancounciloffood View Post
    I'm going for my second drum lesson there this thursday. I don't feel like i have adhered to the practice regime...cos I'm just so busy these days...
    should i cancel?
    No. Def Not. You're teacher should understand that you are busy. Also, it's a choice thing. You have to get to the point yourself about deciding how much you practice. No one can tell you that.

User Info Menu

However, this is why drum teachers often charge whether or not the student shows up. Because once 6 of the 12 students decide that they're not going to show up for drum lessons that day; that drum teacher (who probably makes a part of his living from teaching), is now adversely affected financially. - Been there.

User Info Menu

Can you fake it??? Or let him/her know about your schedule. Maybe the teacher can give you some quick to learn practice tips.

User Info Menu

BLD, my drum teacher knows whether I've put in the practice time or not, because he knows what I'm capable of doing by now. He knows how fast I can pick things up, and how quickly I can get them smooth through practice. I think we just need to be honest with our teachers. After all, we're not being graded here! It's just about progress. So MCOF, I'd just go and be honest with your teacher. If you've got a good teacher, he'll push you a bit, but won't discourage you. He'll want you to be successful, because that is what good teachers do.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Not to mention, our hard earned $$$$

User Info Menu

Go and continue to learn. Be honest and don't be afraid. The fact that you want to cancel means you care. A teacher should generate those feelings and create a sense of purpose in you. At least that's the way it works for me. I think it will build character in you by showing up rather than taking the easy way out and canceling.
    Begin the day with a friendly voice, a companion unobtrusive. - Rush

User Info Menu

Well said SDS! Much better than I did! I guess it's the teacher in you.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Drum Lessons

Hey, mex--

NO.

NO.

NO.

As SDS said above, the fact you are even thinking of canceling is an indication that you care about your drumming. Don't be afraid to talk with your teacher about what's going on...if you're making an honest effort to learn your material and make progress, he'll be more willing to work with you than if you just drop out.

Anyone can drop out...but it takes bigger stones to hang in there...

go for it, mex!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Drum teachers are always happy to take your money weather you practice or not. I wouldn't worry about it just be honest and tell him the truth, he will understand. I am sure as long as you continue to pay for the lessons he will teach you weather you practice or not.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the advice guys....Funnily enough he decided to cancel on me! He had tickets to Billy Connolly! heheheh

User Info Menu

should i cancel?
    This happens to me on rare occasions but I notify my instructor at least 24 hours ahead of time. Teachers have different expectations. In my situation he does not want me to show up unprepared except when I feel that I am doing the exercises incorrectly and he'll end up trying to undo it.

User Info Menu

should i cancel?

With only 2 lessons, how do you know whether you can adhere to a practice routine or not? Everybody is busy these days...you're not alone in that. What I suspect is that you might be having second thoughts about taking lessons and being able to commit to a routine. That is honest and natural. Go to your lesson and tell your teacher what you said here. Give him the chance to assuage your feelings and also to tell you what the expectations are and what the rewards can be. Ultimately, you will have to make the decision. I've known many fine teachers and they all share similar qualities. One of them is that they will not want your money just to waste time....their's as well as yours.

User Info Menu

Good advice fiocovoz.... you alway sound so sensible and wise!

User Info Menu

BTD...The truly wonderful thing about this Forum and Chat is that all of us in here know that we can be open and honest with each other. I realize that a lot of things I may say aren't always the more popular but they are honest and from the heart. So many young people want to play but don't always know the way to go about it. What Mexican had to say reads more like selling himself on the idea that he's to busy to do what he would like to do. At an early time when I was taking lessons, I tried telling myself the very same thing. I didn't have anyone to talk to about it so, I forced myself to continue. My dad didn't like it that I was studying the drums. I think it may have caused a "Rift" between us. That's why I had felt like wanting to quit. I knew, however, if I did, he would only tell me that this was another thing I had started and never finished. I didn't quit. There may have been a rift but, I didn't quit. I can't tell you, or Mexican, how glad I am that I stuck it out. I will never know if dad ever felt differently...it didn't matter. I did this for me and it was good for me. so, as Phrogge likes to tell us...Play (Pay) It forward...

Thanks for understanding...Frank

User Info Menu

Here's an interesting tidbit. I have really been pressed for time this week. With it being the last week of school and preparing for graduation and attending numerous night events at school, I have practiced about a 1/4 of my normal practice time. I thought about this and my first thought was how can I get my teacher to keep my on my current regime of material without having to slow do0wn or give me less due to my lack of practice this week. I realized I have built a relationship with my teacher over the past month and a half where I feel comfortable asking him to do this. My point is that I don't think anymore about canceling my lesson but rather how I could make up what I missed and still keep going. For me this is a healthy approach and further proof that I have the right teacher for me.
    Begin the day with a friendly voice, a companion unobtrusive. - Rush

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    BTD...The truly wonderful thing about this Forum and Chat is that all of us in here know that we can be open and honest with each other. I realize that a lot of things I may say aren't always the more popular but they are honest and from the heart. So many young people want to play but don't always know the way to go about it. What Mexican had to say reads more like selling himself on the idea that he's to busy to do what he would like to do. At an early time when I was taking lessons, I tried telling myself the very same thing. I didn't have anyone to talk to about it so, I forced myself to continue. My dad didn't like it that I was studying the drums. I think it may have caused a "Rift" between us. That's why I had felt like wanting to quit. I knew, however, if I did, he would only tell me that this was another thing I had started and never finished. I didn't quit. There may have been a rift but, I didn't quit. I can't tell you, or Mexican, how glad I am that I stuck it out. I will never know if dad ever felt differently...it didn't matter. I did this for me and it was good for me. so, as Phrogge likes to tell us...Play (Pay) It forward...

Thanks for understanding...Frank
    HOLA COMO ESTAS FIACOVAZ *FRANK** CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST(CAT) THATS FANTASTIC THAT You FOLLOWED your DEEP PASSION within your CREATIVE ARTISTIC SOUL & MIND **GRACIAS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    However, this is why drum teachers often charge whether or not the student shows up. Because once 6 of the 12 students decide that they're not going to show up for drum lessons that day; that drum teacher (who probably makes a part of his living from teaching), is now adversely affected financially. - Been there.
    HOLA COMO ESTAS DRUMMER(TOM) CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST (CAT) EXCELLENT POINTS *AS it is A TRUE FACT **
    GRACIAS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    Good advice fiocovoz.... you alway sound so sensible and wise!
    HOLA COMO ESTAS BACKTODRUM *CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST (CAT) THATS A FACT & SO do You Mi amigo **
    always GREAT INFO (KNOWLEDGE that you POST ** GRACIAS

User Info Menu

Well again thanks for your advice, but he decided to cancel on me eventually.

User Info Menu

Do you mean that he quit as your teacher?