Thread: Any input for double bass pedal??

User Info Menu

Default Any input for double bass pedal??

Can I get yeas and nays on

Pacific Drums by DW DP402 Double Bass Drum Pedal

Since I am just a beginner, does anyone recommend something else, if these are not worth the $99 @ musician's friend??? Their reviews make them sound good.
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Default Re: Any input for double bass pedal??

That's a good starter set, but honestly, you would be better off spending the $100 on a used set of better quality.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

sure, for 1 bone you can't go too wrong. if you are just kinda hobby playing, it should do you well for awhile. i would trust it more than the vex or other off brand pedals at this price. if it is something you know you are going to be into for several years then i would invest in a better set.

User Info Menu

For one Franklin...that should be a great deal.

From there you get more adjustable capabilities and probably full boards under both pedals but I have to agree that is a good deal. You can barely find single pedals for that price.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone. Just something to get used to the realm of double pedals! I will put it on my, "Things to buy" list!

User Info Menu

I currently use this pedal, Ive had it for a good year now, no problems at all, Theirs really no need to upgrade if you get a good model, if you snap the chain, oh well, get some more, kinda thing, its a dcent pedal, Its still smooth for me, and it may not be the best for fast runs, with a little big of practice, youll be able to run 16th notes no problem

User Info Menu

Cool!

User Info Menu

BLD, I have thought about those pedals before, but I think I have decided to hold out for the Pearl P122TW Double Pedal. They go for about $169, so it's a bit more, but I think it might be worth it. I have the Pearl P120P single pedal on my kit, and it has been a very solid performer. Here's a pic of the Pearl P122TW Double Pedal.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

PB, that was my first choice. I have a Pearl P100 that came with the kit. It works well for me, mostly because I haven't been on a lot of different ones. Maybe I need to take a field trip to Guitar(Daycare) Center. The only downfall is a 60 mile drive, one way. But I should get out and see what I can like or not like. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    Maybe I need to take a field trip to Guitar(Daycare) Center.
    Sooooo true!!!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

You feel that way, too????? All I know is at 10am, parents drop their kids off and pick them up at 5pm.

User Info Menu

If only they knew what kinds of scary people were hanging out with their kids at GC - like me!!! LOL

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Hey BTD....
    I got Pearl P122 double kicks....And I loved it....

I know it can't be compared with Eliminator or Iron Cobra...
    But it came with awesome price (I bought it for 110$)
    Top of all....It's made by Pearl....So you don't have to worry bout its quality....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    BLD, I have thought about those pedals before, but I think I have decided to hold out for the Pearl P122TW Double Pedal. They go for about $169, so it's a bit more, but I think it might be worth it. I have the Pearl P120P single pedal on my kit, and it has been a very solid performer. Here's a pic of the Pearl P122TW Double Pedal.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Aww cmon PB, expand that beautiful kit of yours, Get a second bass drum =D

User Info Menu

LOL I can't even get a matching 8" tom for the kit, let alone another matching bass!!! Wait, why am I laughing?

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Any input for double bass pedal??

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    If only they knew what kinds of scary people were hanging out with their kids at GC - like me!!! LOL
    Or me!!! (wonder if I could use a double-bass pedal to play blocks and tambourine when I'm bangin' the congas and bongos? Idea just hit me between some ideas I've been wanting to do anyway and those "indigenous roots kit" videos from bongodoggie I posted a while back...)
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    sure, for 1 bone you can't go too wrong. if you are just kinda hobby playing, it should do you well for awhile. i would trust it more than the vex or other off brand pedals at this price. if it is something you know you are going to be into for several years then i would invest in a better set.
    HOLA Como estas FUNKYMCSTAIN *CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST (CAT) THATS A FACT *GRACIAS

User Info Menu

I got a very good mapex pedal which ive been pretty happy with. Its not top of the range but for the price was a very good value double kick.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    Can I get yeas and nays on

Pacific Drums by DW DP402 Double Bass Drum Pedal

Since I am just a beginner, does anyone recommend something else, if these are not worth the $99 @ musician's friend??? Their reviews make them sound good.

I've had the pedal for juuuust over two years. I'd recommend getting a different one. I've found I don't even really use the double bass because it's too much of a burden. The beaters are too heavy to play fast. Save up for a good one and you'll never have to buy another. Buy this one and it'll work for a year or two then croak. JMO.

User Info Menu

I bought this PDP double pedal for my practice kit - yeah, because of the price. At first, the spring on the slave side was way too stiff to get any speed out of them, so I replaced the spring on the slave side with a lighter one I found at the hardware store. Now it is pretty good. It's not as smooth as my old Camco pedals, but would be a good intro to double kick drumming. If you are doing speed metal, you're going to have to spend money for a faster pedal and a bottle of aspirin. I wish the beater angle was adjustable, but for a hundred dollars? Hey. . . .
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

If you can find the Vex pedal on ebay, hit that up. Comparative to the other pedals listed here, it's nicer and it's the same price. I learned to play on a single chain double pedal like the one you posted and it did it's job and all... but after I got "the bug" it was out of life. That's totally fine because you might want to upgrade anyways at that point.
    I weary of Pearl. Their (expensive) drums sound good, but I've never seen their hardware or lower end stuff (like the pedals above) last very long at all. To be fair, I stopped paying attention to Pearl about 5 years ago so they may have gotten better.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47