Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drumming Platform

User Info Menu

Default Drumming Platform

So, I'm moving to a house without room for my drumset. There will be room however in the garage.. .which is not heated, not insulated, and not even attached to the house. The floor of it is actually the very same gravel as the driveway, so... I'm going to build a platform to put the kit on. Anyone have any suggestions on how to construct it? I'm thinking a 2x4 frame with 2x4's every two feet, and a few sheets of plywood thrown on top...
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drumming Platform

How about a 2x4 frame with 2x4's every two feet, and a few sheets of plywood thrown on top.

(Uh, ok... I don't have any suggestions.)

User Info Menu

Kryshah, my greatest concern would be that moisture will enter the garage through the gravel floor that it shares with the driveway. I think that would be a greater concern to me that the overall temperature. You might want to consider a way to cover the set in such a way to minimize the effect of the moisture. It might be good to have something with elastic that could wrap under the platform to help seal out the moisture. That way you could play, and then cover the kit again. Just a thought. Maybe you could work on that with all the extra time you have on your hands now! LOL
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Sounds like a perfect opportunity to latch on to an acrylic kit. Keep the wood set stacked in the house safe and sound.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Sounds like a perfect opportunity to latch on to an acrylic kit. Keep the wood set stacked in the house safe and sound.
    Or better yet stainless steal ludwigs. then you could leave them in the rain if you wanted!

User Info Menu

I think I can deal with the temperature varients well enough. I think perhaps that I will add some sort of waterproofing layer to the platform, maybe a tarp or two built in. As far as the wood, the temp won't fluctuate quickly enough to cause damage. It will just be nigh impossible to keep in tune. Thanks though guys!

User Info Menu

Seriously man, for a drum platform make it out of one or two sections of 4X8 plywood. Put two or 3 hinges between them for fold up or for dismantling. You want it light weight and transportable. Actually you might be able to make it out of one. If you support it every 16" on center you shouldn't have too much sag between supports. I went 12".

I made one out of two. I could put them together for a larger riser for bigger stages. I also built the platform separate and would set the framed "stage" on top of the platform.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Awesome Bish, Thanks!

User Info Menu

I did that in college...yeah, they had colleges when I went...and made sure to cover the top with carpet remnant to prevent slipping.

User Info Menu

No problem, Kryshah. If you get started and run into other issues, just ask your questions. I know I didn't give you much of a blueprint to start from but some basic help in the design. I guess one other aspect was mine was used for gigging so it wasn't one big mass of plywood and 2X4's. Other factors were considered when designing and then building to spec.

Good luck and I know it'll turn out right.

One other thing. . . since I don't know how big your kit is, that was why I said 1 or 2 sections. A 4X8 will hold a pretty decent sized kit. But say you have double bass, 4 mounted toms, 2 floors and 10 cymbals. You may need to expand or double its size. By making two sections you make it very flexible and useful in multiple environments.

And while I'm thinking about it, the "stage" section was over size from the base. The "stage" had the footer around the perimeter and the supports would fit underneath and inside the footer. Kinda like a header only upside down. This also lent itself for hiding cables or adding a nice skirting to hide the frame support.

The carpeting idea by fiacovaz is a must as well. Good add - on fiacovaz.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Hey Kry, put down some Visqueen (sheet plastic, 3 or 6 mil) on the ground before you build it to stop the moisture from underneath. Also, I would put your stringers, at the most, 16" on center, 12" would be preferable. When you start rocking the kit, at 24" there is going to be a lot of bounce in the plywood and stuff is going to start moving all over the place. I would also suggest using a minimum of 5/8" CDX (3/4" preferable) plywood. Building it strong the first time will keep you from having the headache of fixing it later.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Drumming Platform

Sounds like you're heading in the right direction, krys, but definitely put down some moisture-vaporproof barrier to protect not only the drums but also the platform itself from moisture damage. If you have a way to rig up a dehumidifier, that might help reduce the humidity fluctuations, too...and by all means, carpet!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

We have a 6'x8' plywood deck in 3 pieces sitting on top of 7 - 24" high 'legs' that are grooved halfway through to slide into each other in a criss cross pattern. You end up with 3 longer pieces intersecting 4 shorter pieces. It comes apart and stacks up nice for transport/storage. The deck has cleats on the underside that fit inside the frame to keep if from sliding around and help square up the frame. Then I just unroll a cheap carpet on top, which I can roll back up when we tear it down.

Hope that makes sense.
    bruarm - Mapex Mafia
    Mapex Pro M fusion kit natural finish
    Zildjians:
    14" K Custom Dark hats
    14" K Heavy Ride
    10" & 12" A fast splashes
    14", 16" & 18" A fast crashes
    Pearl Eliminator double kick
    Pearl free-floater brass snare (the deep one!!)
    not one, but 2 cowbells!!

User Info Menu

Kinda like this, with a deck on top...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    bruarm - Mapex Mafia
    Zildjians:
    14" K Custom Dark hats
    14" K Heavy Ride

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Drumming Platform

Sweet, bruarm!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    Sweet, bruarm!
    Yeah, it's kinda cool. A little bouncy 'cause it's 5/8" instead of 3/4" but the material was free, so what the hey. We also put velcro around the deck edge to put a cloth skirt all the way around. Very slick.
    bruarm - Mapex Mafia
    Zildjians:
    14" K Custom Dark hats
    14" K Heavy Ride

User Info Menu

i seen something cool in a MD mag....i'll have to look it up. it was something that grocers use i believe....i'll get back to ya on it.

User Info Menu

haven't found it yet....but this was really interesting:

http://www.dtxpressions.com/platform/

User Info Menu

plus plus on the vapour barrier (6 mil) on top of the gravel..and of course as level as possible..for the joists i would recommend 12" centers for 1/2", 16" for 3/4", carpet on top....maybe leave the carpet loose in case you score some more plywood, and add it on top, going the opposite way......if you can find some glass wool insulation batons wouldn't hurt to fill in between the joists to eliminate any hollow type sound..any re-use, used places to buy wood?...and for heat purposes later.....a couple of light bulbs left on ( ya I know, conserve energy, they don't use much vs wasting a good kit, and then having to replace a kit) cause you'll need lights anyway.......next week you will be calling it "the studio"...in the fall you can staple more plastic on the walls and ceiling.
    cheers
    RIFF

User Info Menu

Im thinking of building a drum platform as well, no real reason just coolness. It'll probably be in the holidays if i get round to it for my new kit (when i get it). I found a good idea on a DIY website, the guy made it for his daughter for karaoke but i think you could make a drum platform in the same way, just strengthen it a bit and make it bigger. I'll put the link on, i dont think it breaks any forum rules. I think it would work really well

http://www.instructables.com/id/Front-Stage/

I think if it was bigger it could make an awesome drum platform!

User Info Menu

hey m-stan, will that be with a side order of diva pictures....lol
    all the best
    gerry

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RIFF WRATH View Post
    hey m-stan, will that be with a side order of diva pictures....lol
    all the best
    gerry
    "would you like some hanna montana with that?"

User Info Menu

I'd go 16" on center instead of 24". It will be much less spongy feeling unless you are into that. It also depends on how thick the plywood is going to be. Good luck.

User Info Menu

Hi everybody, New to drumchat, Thank you for having me.

Kryshah- However you choose to build your platform, I would sure figure out a way to vent the parimeter, a couple of holes maybe. Moisture is definitely going to come in to play. You might even consider a dehumidifier. Years ago as a kid, I had an old set of Apollo drums set up in our basement and the moisture all but ruined them... Not that they were a really prized possesion. That was all I had... I know, Iknow, I have gone and completely dated myself, huh.
    Good luck buddy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumrbychoice View Post
    Hi everybody, New to drumchat, Thank you for having me.

Kryshah- However you choose to build your platform, I would sure figure out a way to vent the parimeter, a couple of holes maybe. Moisture is definitely going to come in to play. You might even consider a dehumidifier. Years ago as a kid, I had an old set of Apollo drums set up in our basement and the moisture all but ruined them... Not that they were a really prized possesion. That was all I had... I know, Iknow, I have gone and completely dated myself, huh.
    Good luck buddy
    It's all right buddy, we have many graybeards in here. Thanks for the advice though, I hadn't thought of moisture buildup within the actual platform itself!