Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: feeling v. thecnicality.

User Info Menu

Default feeling v. thecnicality.

witch do you prefer? i know we would all say the perfect blend of both (or most of us would anyway) but if you had to pick would you be an amazingly technical drummer like virgil donati? or a feeling drummer like charlie daniels (i may have his last name wrong i cant remember if its that or watts) of rolling stones? or is there another eliment im missing entirely?
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

Default Re: feeling v. thecnicality.

I prefer Feeling....
    I would say that Technique can be build....But Feeling is more hard to mastered.....
    Just my opinion though....

But as you mentioned before, mate....
    Blend of both is da best way of Drummin'....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

Techy I guess. Sounds more interesting. Plus they may come up with something amazing that won't only capture the feel of the song but completely turn it on its head.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Technique can be developed but Feeling has to be learned. Technical Artistry can amaze and make my jaw drop but, Feeling is what's always left when everything else fades away.

User Info Menu

I'm with totti and say feeling but I would like to develop more technique myself.
    5 Piece Pearl Reference Kit w/ Noble n Cooley Snare

6 Piece Pearl MMX Master Custom Maple
    Natural Maple Lacquer Finish

Various Zildjian K and A customs
    Paiste Signatures
    Paiste Sound Formula Reflectors

User Info Menu

From the beginning, of my drumming journey I could "feel" the drums. All my life, I would hear the drums in music and begin pounding out the rhythm that I heard. What I have had to learn is the technicality of playing. I am learning about how a certain drum on a certain beat creates the rhythms that I can hear, both in music, and in my head (yeah, you've all known I was a head case, so now I've said it ). Once I get more of the technical aspects of drumming down, I hope to go back to feeling the rhythms, and just playing. I can do that with basic things now, but there is still so much to learn.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    From the beginning, of my drumming journey I could "feel" the drums. All my life, I would hear the drums in music and begin pounding out the rhythm that I heard. What I have had to learn is the technicality of playing. I am learning about how a certain drum on a certain beat creates the rhythms that I can hear, both in music, and in my head (yeah, you've all known I was a head case, so now I've said it ). Once I get more of the technical aspects of drumming down, I hope to go back to feeling the rhythms, and just playing. I can do that with basic things now, but there is still so much to learn.
    This is great PB and I wish I had more feel. I guess in some ways I do have some feeling but realistically I am much more technical at this point. I count out loud and can play perfectly on beat once I know the material. I just don't think I have developed a feel yet. I also am not that far along so maybe it something I will develop with more knowledge and confidence in my skills.
    Begin the day with a friendly voice, a companion unobtrusive. - Rush

User Info Menu

feeling. because you could be doing something completely technical and crazy and people in the audience wouldnt even notice. yeah maybe another drummer would be like wow, but the overall population of people would not even notice a difference to the music, and you are trying so much harder

User Info Menu

I would defiantly choose feel, and that is what I work the most on now. That is what drumming is to me. I prefer to listen to a deep groove that helps make you feel the emotion the song is trying to convey, over someone you is technically the fastest double bass drummer etc. I tire of that real fast, but never tire of in the pocket, deep groove, drumming.

User Info Menu

The "Old Guys" would tell you that there is only one way to learn "Feeling" and that's to simply LISTEN. Get all the music you can and listen to it. I hear a lot from the guys I play with as well as from some of the other big bands I occassionally play with about the "Feeling" I have for Swing as I play. That came from years of listening to records. Technique is very important, you cannot play any instrument without it. You will learn how to incorporate your technique into your Feeling of what it is you're playing. This has to be a conscious and deliberate act. Several years ago, I used to listen to a young drummer in town as he played with a jazz quartet. This guy had technique up the Whazoo. He seemed to know every kind of rhythm and any tempo and was a "Machine." It wasn't long after I started listening to him when I realized what was wrong about him. He did not play with any kind of feeling. It was like he turned a swith "On" to play and then "Off" at the end of the set. He simply did not know how to listen to the group and interact with them on a personal level...that's what "Feeling" is all about. He didn't last with the band very long. So, if you want to have "Feeling", listen to everything you can and not just what you like. Listen, Listen and listen somemore to the drummer on the track......Listen! There is no text book.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silverdragonsound View Post
    This is great PB and I wish I had more feel. I guess in some ways I do have some feeling but realistically I am much more technical at this point. I count out loud and can play perfectly on beat once I know the material. I just don't think I have developed a feel yet. I also am not that far along so maybe it something I will develop with more knowledge and confidence in my skills.
    Definately on to something here for the people just starting drums that are worried that they cant 'feel' it. Feeling it when listening to it is alot different to feeling it when actually playing it. Mainly because that if you are not comfortable playing it, it is very hard to 'feel'. I think that the feel we are talking about here is something that keeps developing over time.

EDIT: I had to come back to edit this to answer the original question. I would rather play with feel whether that feel is simple or technical.
    Last edited by livewire80; 05-31-2008 at 06:22 PM.
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

Cool Re: feeling v. thecnicality.

Quote Originally Posted by drummerdavie View Post
    witch do you prefer? i know we would all say the perfect blend of both (or most of us would anyway) but if you had to pick would you be an amazingly technical drummer like virgil donati? or a feeling drummer like charlie daniels (i may have his last name wrong i cant remember if its that or watts) of rolling stones? or is there another eliment im missing entirely?
    It's a balancing act, DD...drums are the most "mechanical" of instruments in that notes aren't sustained like horns or woodwinds, but if you focus on technicality to the exclusion of feeling, you might as well use a drum machine.

Technicality is the bedrock on which you build drumming, but when I play drums, like PB, i sense the feeling in what I'm playing...and my accents, slaps, what have you, are often as much feeling as they are technique...

BTW, those Charlies can be confusing (trust me, bein' a Charlie, I know that well, dude!)...the Charlie who rocks the drums for the Stones is Charlie Watts...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Feeling it isn't just about the drummer feeling the groove it is about making the song feel good to the listener or dancer. There is a whole knack to that. It took me a while to understand that. I used to think when I was young that i played all the notes correctly and didnt' miss the beat that I new what was goinf on. Well it took a couple of pro musicians I knew to teach me that even though you played the song corrctly and didn'tgoingcorrectlydidn't miss any notes, there is more to making the song feel as it should like playing just a little behind the beat to make the song loap a little or playing a shuffle just a little ahead or behind depending on what you are trying to accomplish with the song, etc.Those are things that make songs feel good to the listener and that is the message I am trying to convey if it makes any since.

I really wish I was trained in music so that I could express myself in the language of music.

User Info Menu

Exactly backtodrum, I dont think it can be said any plainer than you have said it. I just want to add to anyone interested...You had better work on "feel", cause I can tell you right now, they are coming out with drum machines that can play the most technical stuff imagineable. Soon "feel" will be the only marketable skill left for a drummer.

all the best...

User Info Menu

You're right about Kay-Gee.

User Info Menu

I don't know why, but I love Charlie Watts' drumming. He plays a pretty unique Jumpin' Jack Flash on Gimme Shelter. I think feel is more important, but good technique can make the feel a little easier to groove with. Ex, rudiments applied to playing around the kit and getting back to the beat on time.

User Info Menu

There are so many aspects to the feel of a song, and I know I have a ways to go before I can really express things the way that I want. Keep talking about this guys, because I'm soaking it up!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

personaly the thing i like about feeling is you can just sit down and play, the song lets you know what you need to do and you just go with it, big little, fast slow, shuffle straight ahead, you dont need to even ask its just there, sure feeling groves arent allways jaw droping but the make the music live. they give it flavor, but they dont overload the spice. its like one of those foods ware the flavors amazing and it all works, to one of those foods that looks amazing and smells amazing but when you bite into it your mouth burns.
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

The kids from the church youth group were over today, and one of them wanted to show me something that he had created on the guitar. I sat down at the e-kit, and started playing with him. It felt awesome to me, and he felt it to, because he let out a "wow" that I could just lay down a good beat to his playing. To me, that was feeling it, and I really enjoy those moments.

User Info Menu

The kids from the church youth group were over today, and one of them wanted to show me something that he had created on the guitar. I sat down at the e-kit, and started playing with him. It felt awesome to me, and he felt it to, because he let out a "wow" that I could just lay down a good beat to his playing. To me, that was feeling it, and I really enjoy those moments.
    That's what making music is all about! Nothing but grins!

User Info Menu

an issue i have been coping with is that people "feel" things a different way. so your playing has to be "technically" sound.

User Info Menu

I think these are all great points, and to me the bottom line is creating the music. There's a certain magic that comes when you're in the groove with the band, it's the highest of highs.....and I only drink water on stage.

Being an integral part of the creative process with your band mates, writing together, making the music, evoking emotion from your audience...applause is like candy to me..I eat it up....for my mates it's the same thing.

I always attempt to add to the over all concept of the song, embellishments, cymbal flourishes, cymbal braking (Not breaking...lol), single and double stroke rolls, I love flams, rim shots, triplets, and sometimes the desired affect is playing simply caressing the drums and cymbals with Mallets or brushes...the little intricacies that make the song.

I'm creating a feeling with my playing. I'm not being overly technical, you see...although sometimes that aspect comes into play....it depends on the music...It's hard to explain....I guess the closest I can come to explaining it is the chemistry...like the first time I fell in love with a girl....that swirly feel inside...love at first sight with my wife, that special something that you feel when you meet a band mate, or another guy or gal, and an instant friendship occurs and you become fast friends for life. Playing my instrument is the same.

I guess the bottom line is that I'm writing music with my bandmates, even though I'm not technically reading it off paper. And alone with my drums just practicing beats, fills, can be just as satisfying....the "WOW I just did that?" Factor.

Technical prowess is good, getting your groove is good, creating the mood is best. Alone, with a couple of mates, or with a whole band, you can create a very stimulating and satisfying mood with your instrument. Any instrument, but especially drums.

I can see great creativity with guys like Ringo Starr, Charlie Watts, just as much as I can see it in Mitch Mitchell or Dave Lombardo...they're writing their music from their hearts.
    Last edited by Destroyer; 06-01-2008 at 11:26 PM.

User Info Menu

Feeling
    Everyone can enjoy your playing if it can be felt. If you base off of technicality then only people who know what you're doing can appreciate it. Now, if you can use technicality to create more feeling, then go for it. But if we're voting on the extremes, I'll stick with feeling.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    an issue i have been coping with is that people "feel" things a different way. so your playing has to be "technically" sound.
    HOLA COMO ESTAS FUNKYMCSTAIN *CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST (CAT) EXCELLENT **AND THAT is A FACT *as we within OUR OWN UNIQUE CREATIVE ARTISTIC MINDS (SOULS) (PASSION)(STYLE)(ARTISTRY) ALL FEEL each STYLE OF MUSIC within COMPLIMENTING the STRUCTURE within THE ACTUAL CRETIVE ARTISTRY of EACH & EVERY MEMBER (ARTIST ) THEIR OWN UNIQUE CREATIVE ARTISTRY *SO THEN
    THE FEEL IS GOING TO BE DIFFERENT * TECHNIQUES ARE WHAT GIVES US ALOT OF OUR SIGNATURE (STYLE) WITHIN OUR OWN UNIGUE ARTISTRY * AND TECHNIQUES WHEN THE CREATIVE -(OPEN-MINDED) ARTIST DRUMMER
    REALLY UNDERSTANDS DEEP within THEIR(PASSIONATE-SOULS ) HOW ALL
    TECHNIQUES CAN FULLY ENHANCE THE CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST within HIS or HERS OWN NATURAL (FEEL) (STYLE) UNIQUE SIGNATURE (ARTISTRY) as TECHNIQUES ARE A LIFE TIME & BEYOND TO MASTER)AND TECHNIQUES COMPLIMENTS THE CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER
    ALREADY NATURAL (FEEL)** THEIR DEEP AWARENESS To ALL STYLES OF
    (MUSIC) as I always SAY WHAT EVER WORKS FOR THE CREATIVE ARTISTIC OPEN MINDED DRUMMER ARTIST IS ALL GREAT Within their OWN JOURNEYS
    within this VERY ANCIENT SPIRITUAL ART FORM ***GRACIAS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    I think these are all great points, and to me the bottom line is creating the music. There's a certain magic that comes when you're in the groove with the band, it's the highest of highs.....and I only drink water on stage.

Being an integral part of the creative process with your band mates, writing together, making the music, evoking emotion from your audience...applause is like candy to me..I eat it up....for my mates it's the same thing.

I always attempt to add to the over all concept of the song, embellishments, cymbal flourishes, cymbal braking (Not breaking...lol), single and double stroke rolls, I love flams, rim shots, triplets, and sometimes the desired affect is playing simply caressing the drums and cymbals with Mallets or brushes...the little intricacies that make the song.

I'm creating a feeling with my playing. I'm not being overly technical, you see...although sometimes that aspect comes into play....it depends on the music...It's hard to explain....I guess the closest I can come to explaining it is the chemistry...like the first time I fell in love with a girl....that swirly feel inside...love at first sight with my wife, that special something that you feel when you meet a band mate, or another guy or gal, and an instant friendship occurs and you become fast friends for life. Playing my instrument is the same.

I guess the bottom line is that I'm writing music with my bandmates, even though I'm not technically reading it off paper. And alone with my drums just practicing beats, fills, can be just as satisfying....the "WOW I just did that?" Factor.

Technical prowess is good, getting your groove is good, creating the mood is best. Alone, with a couple of mates, or with a whole band, you can create a very stimulating and satisfying mood with your instrument. Any instrument, but especially drums.

I can see great creativity with guys like Ringo Starr, Charlie Watts, just as much as I can see it in Mitch Mitchell or Dave Lombardo...they're writing their music from their hearts.
    HOLA COMO ESTAS DESTROYER *CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST (CAT) EXCELLENT * AS this IS VERY TRUE**