Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: match or traditional?

User Info Menu

Default match or traditional?

Does your line play matched or traditional and why? mine plays match because our drum captain can't play traditional and so we can play faster singles.we don't like traditional.

User Info Menu

Default Re: match or traditional?

Hi Adam and welcome to the forum. I'm not in a drumline but wanted to comment.

Wouldn't it be hard to have a line that plays matched when it seems (correct me if I'm wrong) that most of the other drumlines are playing primarily traditional grip? I just wonder if it would affect competitions or adjudication in some way. By the way, I use matched grip but I don't have a bias. I started out with traditional grip and played that way for years before switching over.

User Info Menu

no it doesn't affect competition, like the 1st place in national high school drumline, marcus texas does matched grip, but maybe they got 2nd, not sure lol. yeah the majority do play traditional, but the judges don't seem to be biased

User Info Menu

We play matched, simply because the technique is a lot easier to learn, and most of the kids around here dont know proper trad. grip

It also helps if we need to switch out people from tenors to snare, ect

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by adamisontenors View Post
    no it doesn't affect competition, like the 1st place in national high school drumline, marcus texas does matched grip, but maybe they got 2nd, not sure lol. yeah the majority do play traditional, but the judges don't seem to be biased
    Well, I learned something new today. Cool!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Well, I learned something new today. Cool!
    that's the spirit!

User Info Menu

I think it's more of a matter of how you carrie the drums. If you use a traditional sling (a strap going over one shoulder that puts an angle on the head of the snare drum) then traditional grip is the only way to go. Most Drum Corps I've seen recently use the carriers that go over both your shoulders that keep the drum head flat, this allows for the use of matched grip, and as pointed out is easier for drummers to learn.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Church Drummer View Post
    I think it's more of a matter of how you carrie the drums. If you use a traditional sling (a strap going over one shoulder that puts an angle on the head of the snare drum) then traditional grip is the only way to go. Most Drum Corps I've seen recently use the carriers that go over both your shoulders that keep the drum head flat, this allows for the use of matched grip, and as pointed out is easier for drummers to learn.
    true, but its very rare to actually see people with straps, yet lines still do traditional.

User Info Menu

Our line plays traditional... I live in northern Indiana, and up here, MB is a huge thing...so competition is pretty stiff. It's kinda considered a wussy thing to play matched just b/c it's easier. But I def think first-year lines should prolly start out with matched since they have pretty much no idea what's going on...

User Info Menu

Actually, a lot of show bands still march with slings, I dont know why

And yea, I really hate that entire, your not man enough to play traditional thing, everytime you see someone play snare matched, you get 3000 comments from people about how hes a wimp for playing matched, and blah blah

Its no diffrent, And I dont know about everyone else, But it was a lot easier, to go a lot faster tradional, then it is matched, Since theirs only 4 muscles being used instead of the 17 of matched grip

User Info Menu

Traditional vs. Matched will always be debated and that's to bad. I am a Traditional grip player because that is how I was taught from the very beginning. I wish that I had some early exposure to playing Matched grip because I often find it to be more comfortable. I was a DCI drumline arranger/instructor, marhing band adjudicator and have written for an instructed several high school drum lines. I had noticed that there had been a shift back to playing Traditional grip and, to me, the reason was obvious. True and proper Rudimental Form with stick placement and height is best effected with Traditional grip. It forced the issue of the weaker hand matching the precision of the stronger hand - LH to RH. Matched grip, on the other hand, is extremely versatile. It lends itself to more playing opportunities within the Percussion line...quads and mallets. It is also a very strong and powerful grip. What must be understood by both "Camps" is that this has nothing to do with grips as much as it has to do with the MUSIC! Music is dynamic! I have heard countless Drum Corps and marching bands play more dynamically and musically on the field than I've heard Concert bands in the recital Hall. When we drummers focus on playing musically with dynamics...soft to loud...we realize that we can do this easier and with more precision and control by utilizing the Traditional Grip. You may wish to disagree with this but, never the less, it is true. I have been involved with other instructors and judges for to many years and part of their discussions concerning Grips and which is generally the more preferred for control and precision. But, look on the bright side...those of you who favor Matched grip, personally, I think you have it over those of us who play only traditional grip on the drum set.

User Info Menu

quite the topic here.
    but to keep it simple, my snareline played almost every show traditional grip with a few drum breaks matched here and there. Nothing too special. I like to venture into both grip styles. But my favorite is to play reverse traditional. It's like learning all over again. This is something I really only play when I'm drumming w/ a lot of patience though
    Later drmrs
    Respect.
    Like.
    Love.
    ...and Drum!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Traditional vs. Matched will always be debated and that's to bad. I am a Traditional grip player because that is how I was taught from the very beginning. I wish that I had some early exposure to playing Matched grip because I often find it to be more comfortable. I was a DCI drumline arranger/instructor, marhing band adjudicator and have written for an instructed several high school drum lines. I had noticed that there had been a shift back to playing Traditional grip and, to me, the reason was obvious. True and proper Rudimental Form with stick placement and height is best effected with Traditional grip. It forced the issue of the weaker hand matching the precision of the stronger hand - LH to RH. Matched grip, on the other hand, is extremely versatile. It lends itself to more playing opportunities within the Percussion line...quads and mallets. It is also a very strong and powerful grip. What must be understood by both "Camps" is that this has nothing to do with grips as much as it has to do with the MUSIC! Music is dynamic! I have heard countless Drum Corps and marching bands play more dynamically and musically on the field than I've heard Concert bands in the recital Hall. When we drummers focus on playing musically with dynamics...soft to loud...we realize that we can do this easier and with more precision and control by utilizing the Traditional Grip. You may wish to disagree with this but, never the less, it is true. I have been involved with other instructors and judges for to many years and part of their discussions concerning Grips and which is generally the more preferred for control and precision. But, look on the bright side...those of you who favor Matched grip, personally, I think you have it over those of us who play only traditional grip on the drum set.
    I personally can play matched grip and traditional(even though im on tenors and have to stay with matched ) and i can see what your saying about dynamics, but i think matched is for people who have equal arm strength, and when people like that (me) play traditional, i'm very, VERY left hand heavy. so i guess it's all about preference.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    HOLA COMO ESTAS FIACOVAZ *FRANK*CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST (CAT) EXCELLENT BREAK-DOWN * AS FAR as GRIPS *
    I FEEL & KNOW AT least for &WITHIN MY OWN CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTISTRY* I MAINLY USE TRADITIONAL GRIP BUT I GRIP BOTH WAYS AND MANY OTHER GRIPS IT ALL DEPENDS ON WHAT I AM PERFORMING within the
    MUSIC STYLES AND SOLOING ITS ALL GREAT **as FAR AS MARCHING AS I have DONE THIS SINCE I WAS A KID TRADITIONAL GRIP FOR ME WORKS THE BEST **GRACIAS

User Info Menu

Trad grip seemed to come back around, for me at least, because getting back to the old sling drum ways, Not trying to change it for the sake of tradition

But there is also another reason, that Ive thought of, Trad grip is so much easier, to build chops in your left hand, and have equal hand strength, then matched is, Notice how a lot of tenor players are the southpaws of the line, while just about all of the snare line is right handed, simple, well, I tihnk it is at least, flipping your hand over is so much easier on your chops, While we may think flipping our right hand is easier to begin with, once you get adjusted to left hand trad, your left hand is much more precise then right hand trad

Thats my thinking behind it, I hav'nt met a true big time left handed snare yet, all the lefties i know that marched, marched bass and tenors, because they couldnt play trad grip

User Info Menu

Marion Harding High School has been playing matched grip for as far as I can remember..... They host the annual National's every year. Either way works just as good as the other. Traditional grip had to be used due to the way the drums was carried. I'm pretty sure if they had access to current Shoulder/Chest harness as opposed to the old Shoulder strap they would use the chest.

User Info Menu

Both.
    "If I dont practice for one day, my brother can tell. If I dont practice for two days, the audience can tell. We cant all be Buddy Richs'!"[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

User Info Menu

I prefer traditional.....even in a concert band setting I refuse to switch back to matched simply because I feel way more comfortable playing trad......For 3 years I played matched grip and then I went to high school and I really wanted to play snare drum so I spent countless hours doing 8's on my left to get a good feel of tradish grip and now that I have a decent feel I can now incorporate finger techniques and certain squeezing and fingering methods found in the right hand.....so all in all it's all about personal preference and/or the iinstructors preference.....long live trad. grip!!
    Got Chops?
    Freshman:Bass 3(Marching Band)
    Bass 2(Winter Drumline)[Bass Captain]

User Info Menu

with all due respect if your drum captain can't play tradish he should be on bass or tenor. Or just learn traditional. Matched in drumline for snare is criminal.

User Info Menu

I'm going to have to disagree with you, Matched grip for a snare line with slings is criminal, but then why did we make the corp harness that moves the snare in front of you instead of to your side. There are a lot of advantages to playing matched, sure, traditional may look cleaner (When played correctly) but there are a LOT of plus's for matched through out the line.

As you said, bass and tenor, every player is changeable, you can move people around without having to worry about them having enough matched chops to move. Thats just one to start with, and balance. It may not be a bad thing, but a ton of DCI snare drummers just simply can not play matched grip, they force themselfs to play traditional to get good enough for snare on a corp, then they use it all summer, suddenly, they lost their matched chops.

Thats why every 4 years SCV goes and plays matched on their snare line, for the balance.

User Info Menu

well.......i kinda agree and disagree with eveybody.....the guy who said proper rudimental form can only be executed with trad. grip i think is 100% correct......trad grip allows for more finesse and control in certain situations while still allowing nice ballzando dynamics to be played......the thing about matched grip is that u have to practice less to have an equal sound consistency from hand to hand because the stick is being held the same and it's hitting the drum at hte same angle that it will naturally sound the same........matched grip does allow for more height and volume at times but i think for the marching setting ALL SNARE PLAYERS should play trad. grip.......but i do love lines that can march matches and be badass like some bands in BOA and Dartmouth high from WGI
    Got Chops?
    Freshman:Bass 3(Marching Band)
    Bass 2(Winter Drumline)[Bass Captain]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SkyhawkDrummer View Post
    well.......i kinda agree and disagree with eveybody.....the guy who said proper rudimental form can only be executed with trad. grip i think is 100% correct......trad grip allows for more finesse and control in certain situations while still allowing nice ballzando dynamics to be played......the thing about matched grip is that u have to practice less to have an equal sound consistency from hand to hand because the stick is being held the same and it's hitting the drum at hte same angle that it will naturally sound the same........matched grip does allow for more height and volume at times but i think for the marching setting ALL SNARE PLAYERS should play trad. grip.......but i do love lines that can march matches and be badass like some bands in BOA and Dartmouth high from WGI
    HOLA COMO ESTAS SKYHAWKDRUMMER MI AMIGO CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST (CAT) VERY COOL USER NAME *AND EXCELLENT ANSWER**GRACIAS

User Info Menu

awesome adam and welcome to the forum
    being a succesful musician has nothing to do with being signed, popular or making alot of money. It has to do with making great music.

User Info Menu

I think traditional just looks better, and ever since the civil war the drummers used traditional grip, wouldn't you want to past that on?
    my band got 2nd place at BOA Reigonals woo!

User Info Menu

i like traditional. thats the way its done. i say when you start learning drums play matched but if your going to play snare on a drumline learn to play traditional grip. its kinda frowned upon to see snares playing matched