Thread: Roland TD9 or TD12

User Info Menu

Default Roland TD9 or TD12

Hi,

After much deliberation I've decided to buy a Roland electronic drumkit. I've heard that the new TD9 is excellent. But so is the TD12. Is it worth paying the extra for the TD12?

Cheers,

Paul.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Roland TD9 or TD12

I just ordered my TD9 and it's my first e-kit. For the money and the reason I'm buying it (mostly to practice more quietly), the TD9 made more sense.
    bruarm - Mapex Mafia
    Mapex Pro M fusion kit natural finish
    Zildjians:
    14" K Custom Dark hats
    14" K Heavy Ride
    10" & 12" A fast splashes
    14", 16" & 18" A fast crashes
    Pearl Eliminator double kick
    Pearl free-floater brass snare (the deep one!!)
    not one, but 2 cowbells!!

User Info Menu

i have not played a td9 it replaced the td6 so that makes it the entry level kit a very nice one mind you but still entry level. I have owned a td 12 and it is Very nice and it is a better module near the same as a td20 with fewer inputs and many features the 12 also has better cymbals and a vh 11 HH which is to me the best electric HH out today. Is it worth the extra money....yes....is it worth the extra money to you ...i don't know. And just to let you know the e kit i like best is a DIY

E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

I'd say go with the TD-12 as well.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Most people on Roland's own v-drums site think the TD-9 is great but the TD-12 would be better. There was a recent discussion over there regarding this situation. If I was to go that route I would be forced to do with the TD-9 only because of the $1000 difference in price which is critical for me. If money isn't an object, the TD-12 is what I would recommend of the two. Another thought to consider; if you have that type of money you may be able to score a second hand TD-20 for a bit more.
    Begin the day with a friendly voice, a companion unobtrusive. - Rush

User Info Menu

Do you guys know if you can buy the processer by itself without the pads? And if so how much (estimate) would it be?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2slow View Post
    ...and a vh 11 HH which is to me the best electric HH out today.
    FWIW, you can use the the VH-11 with the TD9 as an upgrade. From Roland TD-9 FAQ:

Yes, the VH-11(not VH-12) is fully compatible with the TD-9K/TD-9KX...
    Here's a link to the FAQ:

http://www.roland.com/products/en/_s...p=0&iCncd=3438
    bruarm - Mapex Mafia
    Mapex Pro M fusion kit natural finish
    Zildjians:
    14" K Custom Dark hats
    14" K Heavy Ride
    10" & 12" A fast splashes
    14", 16" & 18" A fast crashes
    Pearl Eliminator double kick
    Pearl free-floater brass snare (the deep one!!)
    not one, but 2 cowbells!!

User Info Menu

TD 12 if you can pay for it haha

User Info Menu

Smile Re: Roland TD9 or TD12

Quote Originally Posted by 2slow View Post
    i have not played a td9 it replaced the td6 so that makes it the entry level kit a very nice one mind you but still entry level. I have owned a td 12 and it is Very nice and it is a better module near the same as a td20 with fewer inputs and many features the 12 also has better cymbals and a vh 11 HH which is to me the best electric HH out today. Is it worth the extra money....yes....is it worth the extra money to you ...i don't know. And just to let you know the e kit i like best is a DIY

How's it goin'? When I saw your DIY e-drum kit, my mouth fell open, my dentures fell onto the floor and I started drooling all over the place. lol, that kit is absolutely gorgeous man. Brilliant, awesome and even my favorite color. My hat's off to you my friend. What an excellent job you have done. That is the ultimate kit. You have the beauty of an acoustic kit (plus you can, if you want to, switch over to an acoustic kit) and all of the versatility of an e-kit. The only improvement you could make, and it would just be cosmetic, is to buy the e-cymbals that are actually made from real acoustic cymbals. I forget just now what the makers name is, but you could even get the Roland shiny silver e-cymbals; but it's not a big deal at all. I would be as happy as a pig in slop if I had what you are displaying here in Drum Chat. Man, I can't stop staring at your kit and dreaming of it being my kit. I have a set of Yamaha DTXPress 2's and a set of Roland TD-4k2X or kX2's I forget just how that goes, I must be dyslexic or something. Your kit is almost the same as the new Pearl combo, acoustic/e-kit, however, I actually like your kit more myself. Oh well, I just had to write to you and complement you on your fine work. Patent it and start up a company or your own manufacturing and selling you're DIY e-drum kits. God Bless dude, very well done.

Sincerely;

Cal Talbot

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=2slow;87886]i have not played a td9 it replaced the td6 so that makes it the entry level kit a very nice one mind you but still entry level. I have owned a td 12 and it is Very nice and it is a better module near the same as a td20 with fewer inputs and many features the 12 also has better cymbals and a vh 11 HH which is to me the best electric HH out today. Is it worth the extra money....yes....is it worth the extra money to you ...i don't know. And just to let you know the e kit i like best is a DIY

I also have got an DIY kit, I use the TD9 because the TD12 was way to expensive for me. And the TD9 looked easier to operate. I like the sounds, except for the snare, the snare still sounds too 'electric' to me.
    Last edited by KevinVanRillaer; 06-09-2012 at 06:37 AM.

User Info Menu

I play a td12 as my electric kit myself. I dig it. My advise is to hunt for a good used deal. With a little patience you can make out like a bandit (like me, lol).

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.